iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions: I was just given a Rockwell 4" jointer, model #37-290

Started by Warbird, December 30, 2009, 10:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Hey guys,

A friend of mine just gave me his father-in-law's old Rockwell 4" jointer.  The old man recently turned 90 and my buddy tells me he was a master carpenter and cabinetmaker.  He continued working until his late 70's, early 80's.  This machine has sat in a garage since.

It is a model 37-290.  I have just started to google on this thing, in hopes of finding out more info about it.  I would like to date it, if possible.  So far, it looks like it might date in the 60's, maybe even the 50's?  Is there any way to be sure?  I haven't pulled any numbers off the motor yet.

It appears to have the original motor and stand.  I've snapped some pics of it and will be uploading them in a minute.  It appears pretty solid but the knives have some dings in them.  The pulley that attaches to the knife spindle 'wobbles' when you spin it.  Not sure if the shaft is bent or the pulley is.  The table needs to be polished up but looks to be in pretty decent shape.

I plan to fix it up and put it with my other woodworking tools, which are all newer Rigid tools.  I let friends from work or from church use my shop when they need to work on their trucks, do a woodworking project, or whatever.  Not sure how many guys will need to use a jointer but hey, it'll fit right in with what I'm trying to build here.

What can you guys tell me about this machine?  It is the oldest tool I have now and I think it is cool to have something with real history.

Warbird

Here are the pics.  Any way to pin down a date on this thing?

DouginUtah

If you don't get the answers you are looking for here, try www.OWWM.org (old woodworking machines).  I tried to look up 37-290 but the search function was acting flaky.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WDH

I don't know anything specific about the machine, but it looks like it was well taken care of.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

logwalker

I would put that newer than you think. That logo is late 70's or 80's I think. There are several on this page of OWWM:

http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=698&tab=4

It looks like could be late 70' but more like 80's.

The older Arn' is the only way to go.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

D._Frederick

My guess is from fifties to into seventies, Rockwell bought out Delta and then sold it back in this time frame.

Warbird

Okay, thanks guys.  I'll search out that site you mentioned. 

Larry

Your machine has the "Sign of the Devil" aka the peace sign.  The reason behind the name is Rockwell re-engineered the Delta machines so they would be competitive...or perhaps so they could make a bunch more money.  A lot of the re-engineering was cosmetic...replace a well made handwheel with a crudely cast wheel or even plastic.

The peace sign along dates your machine to possibly mid 70's.  For an exact date check owwm or call Delta with the serial number off the jointer.  I don't think either the motor or the stand are original.  The last time I checked on a machine at Delta they even sent be a free owners manual...but they have changed hands again just recently.

In any case you have a high quality 4" jointer...and the original paint job is exceptional for its age.  Guessing your pulley wobbles is cause it or the shaft are wallowed out because the pulley turned on the shaft.  If it is the pulley get a new one from the Surplus Center.  If it is the shaft there is no good way to repair it.  Big time dollars from Delta if it is available.  Check eBay and the owwm site for used.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

pineywoods

I have one just like it, with a different stand. Didn't know what make or model, all the tags are gone. I retrieved mine from the ashes of a burned down building, fire so hot it melted the few aluminum parts. I put new bearings and a new motor on it and touched up the knives. Used it pretty regularly for the past 10 years. the thing is built like a tank. I've been told that sears sold the same jointer under the craftsman label..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

Yeah probably pulley. If it's the shaft, maybe a fabrication shop has some rolled steel. Grind a flat spot on the end for the hex head to tighten onto from the pulley. But, maybe there is more to it than that, I'd have to see the shaft. I did that for a fan in my furnace, saved $50 bucks on a new shaft by going to a nearby fab shop. Will outlast the furnace. ;D 

I've had a 6" delta now for 16 years. Use it on every project with rough sawn lumber. Also after planing warp out of a piece, you will likely have to pass both edges to square it up with the wide faces.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

Heh.  Now I have proof to take to the Mrs that I need to buy a planer.  ;)

D._Frederick

The pulley look like it is die cast out of pot-metal, the cutter head shaft should have a key way in it. Check the shaft for wopple with a dial indicator, they can be straighten if bent with arbor press.

There may be a set screw in the pulley that tighten against key in the key way. Check it out!

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!