iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Biger is better right???

Started by smwwoody, February 04, 2012, 07:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwwoody

We need a bigger truck or more hours in the day.  Cut and skid until noon today.  then hauled logs and pulp wood from our job until 4 and got this one on the truck as it was getting dark from a friends job.  need to do it all again in the morning.  with a tri axle it would have only been 3 trips not 5.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

treefarmer87

is that pauls landing? a tri axle would be better for you :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Woodhauler

Quote from: smwwoody on February 04, 2012, 07:16:39 PM

We need a bigger truck or more hours in the day.  Cut and skid until noon today.  then hauled logs and pulp wood from our job until 4 and got this one on the truck as it was getting dark from a friends job.  need to do it all again in the morning.  with a tri axle it would have only been 3 trips not 5.

Woody
Bring your checkm book to maine! I will hook you up with a 2006 western star and a 2010 rotobec elite 80 loader!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Okrafarmer

We just bought a tri-axle today, for $5,600. Our mechanic checked it out and found no major problems. He drove it back from Georgia. A few little fixits, and we should have it on and off the road. Our first grapple and boy will it be welcome. 1976 White. No hydraulic leaks.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

lumberjack48

Here in Minn. , on a Bobtail you could only haul about 2 1/2 cds , i would slip a air tag under it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

smwwoody

I have a tag for it just not the time to put it in.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 04, 2012, 07:56:38 PM
Quote from: smwwoody on February 04, 2012, 07:16:39 PM

Woody
Bring your checkm book to maine! I will hook you up with a 2006 western star and a 2010 rotobec elite 80 loader!

Have check book will travel  how much?
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

Quote from: treefarmer87 on February 04, 2012, 07:41:42 PM
is that pauls landing? a tri axle would be better for you :)

yea thats pauls hardwood job.  his 460 skidder cuter and loader are on his pine job.  he just has his old 450 on this job
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

thecfarm

If it runs good and not given you any problems,looks like a keeper too me. Faster,bigger is not always faster,better.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

If it was me Id get a bogie Dog or Pig Trailer for it but it would be a pita as you gotta either unhook or jackknife the trailer to load it there was one bloke who carted for a fella i was falling for that was pretty bloody good at jackknifing his dog trailer to load it with the crane  ;) Wood haulers Westernstar sounds too tempting though  ;) ;D

Pm me with a price for the Ford if you update to The Star  ;) as Jesi n I Might just get a smaller truck for a start plus we can always take it out n load the seimi and throw a load on the ford when we come home for the day as Jesi is getting her Cdl too  :) ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)   

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Okrafarmer

Yes, Andy drove it back safely but says the front brakes need to be replaced, and some minor electrical issues and a minor air leak on the tag axle, but he thinks everything can be fixed up for less than $2,000. The engine, transmission, hydraulics, and tires all checked out good, so it should be a great addition to our fleet. Maybe one day I'll get some pics up. I think I need a refresher tutorial on how to upload pictures here. I tried finding it under the help topics, if anyone would like to steer me in the right direction, I'll work on it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

BTW, I am studying for my CDL. I passed my permit test a couple weeks ago.  8)

moosehunter

Okra,
Right near the top of the "Behind the Forum" section you will find the tutorial for pics. Jeff made it a lot easier than it used to be.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Okrafarmer

Quote from: moosehunter on February 06, 2012, 04:23:23 PM
Okra,
Right near the top of the "Behind the Forum" section you will find the tutorial for pics. Jeff made it a lot easier than it used to be.

Thank you! That's my problem, I was trying to remember how to do it the old way. And, thank you, Jeff, for simplifying it. Now I shall go figure out the new way.

Okrafarmer

Ok, let's see how this works. Here is the GMC log truck we've been using...

And here is the White just obtained Saturday.

;D

thecfarm

You just died and went to heaven. Now lets see that one loaded.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

I'm going to order stakes for it today. We may use it to load the other truck with today-- got some 30" tulip poplar on the ground right now.... But we also need to get it registered, inspected, and so on.

lumberjack48

Okrafarmer you just made life a little easier, nice looking rig, is that a Barko 60 or a 80 loader? A guy has to make sure the air tag lifts high enough so your not hung up with it. We ran singles on our air tag.
We had a 60 International Tri-axle with a 671 Detroit, 5x4 double stick, Barko 60, an ole screamer.

Make sure the dust shields are on the brakes, its something some guys don't get back on.
Heres a pic of the cab style, ours was yellow, tough old rig.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Maine372

that is a prentice 110. nice find. slow and heavy but a good strong loader. check the nuts on the collar inside the aframe, they can loosen. also check for wear around the top link in the knuckle. if it wears thin enough to break the whole upper boom will swing towards the operator.

lumberjack48

da. just looking at the color, complete different boom set up. Open eyes

treefarmer87

That is a great buy okrafarmer, nice truck 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Okrafarmer

He registered it today, along with a 4-wheel-drive F700 former utilities truck with 35 ft. crane. I don't have a picture of that one handy yet. Both together, the registration was 4 digits.  :o

Our welding contractor is getting stakes ready for the White.

All our other big trucks are white, but the White is gray!  :D

Woodhauler

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 07, 2012, 09:43:13 PM

;D
That ole white belonged to a guy in the next town over from me!!! Its along way from its old home in dixmont maine!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on February 09, 2012, 07:27:05 PM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 07, 2012, 09:43:13 PM

;D
That ole white belonged to a guy in the next town over from me!!! Its along way from its old home in dixmont maine!!!
was that guy from brewer? back in the mid 90's had a tracked shear guy asked me to cut chip wood for him. seems like it said alpine on his trucks

Thank You Sponsors!