iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 260 Pro & 391 issues after rebuild...

Started by jiggysmb, December 04, 2017, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggysmb

Figured I would condense these. I have rebuilt about a dozen Stihls due to scored pistons, leaking crank seals, etc, so I have some background. I was recently given 2 saws and here are their stories.

Stihl 260 Pro -low compression and broken handle but started and ran ok. I replaced the cylinder/piston, gas line/filter, rebuilt the carb and used an after market (chinese) fuel tank/handle. The carb on this saw was a little different than most. Fixed High screw on carb, and metering diaphram had a little nub to hit the needle lever. This area I was unsure of, with the lever sitting down in a sump, should the lever sit flush with the lip around that area? Either way, the saw wont start unless I dump some fuel mix in the carb and it will run for a couple seconds. Wont start at all pulling. I thought it was a fuel line issue, so I replaced the Chinese fuel line with a stock line and still wont start. Impulse line also came on the handle housing but fits tight. I wasnt sure where the Low screw on the carb should be so I tried 1/4 turn and full turn out with no luck. Any idea where the carb with no H screw should be set on the L side?

Stihl 391 - This saw overheated and needed a complete rebuild. It was a construction company's demolition saw, I dont know how it ran, it only had 2 loose screws holding the cylinder on. It would run for a second then cut out, and had 120 psi. Needed cylinder/piston/seals, fuel line, clutch, sprocket, carb kit, oil pump/worm. The saw will consistently start (150psi) but will only run at low RPMs with throttle held in, as soon as it is released saws cuts off. I am pretty meticulous about keeping parts together, but looking at some pics on ebay I see the carb has a black ring on one side? Mine does not have this. Also, I used the carb turns 1 L & 3/4 H  that are listed on the filter cover, but it seems like a carb issue, so I tried one off a working 391 and the saw acted the same exact way. Any ideas?

dougand3

260 - I'd try a fully adjustable Walbro clone for ~$10.
391 - Muffler/Screen is clear? Try real rich - 2.5 L  &  2 H and see if can get a throttle up.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

jiggysmb

Thanks Dougand3, carb ordered and I will let you know how 2 turns out works on the 391!

jiggysmb

Unfortunately 2.5/2 turns out just made fuel come out the exhaust.

dougand3

If another known good 391 carb did not allow throttle up - the answer lies elsewhere. Easy start, good idle and boggy/no throttle up is a classic clogged exhaust symptom.
If the known good carb is a red herring - could be needle lever is too high = floody condition even on lean H-L screws.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Air Lad

Had a problem seat before on my 039
One minute no fuel. Tiny tweak and she floods
new needle fixed the problem
May not be the answer to you're problem
Good luck

Thank You Sponsors!