iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just a bunch of bull.

Started by LeeB, March 20, 2018, 08:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Do any of you cattle folks have a clue as to what breed this feller may be? 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dustyhat

Looks Angus, Holstein,and tex longhorn. or maby a Heinz 57. 

LeeB

The guy I got his dam from was running pretty much herefords so I suspect he's a least part hereford. I thought maybe that and simmental? Or just a mut. He's been a good bull but it's time for some new blood and I've bought a registered hereford bull. Hate to see it but he has to go. His mama has simular markings to him and I have no idea how old she is. He's 7 and she has to be probably 10 or better but she keeps dropping calve so she gets kept around. I figure she won't produce too much longer and then it's hamburger time. If I can't get a decent offer for him he'll go the same route. 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

dustyhat

We usually keep a cow as long as shes dropping calfs and has teeth. he is a good built animal though.

dustyhat

Seriously there is a butler longhorn that throws that color alot. 

LeeB

The guy I'm buying my new bull from thought he may have some longhorn in him.

sandhills

I would say definitely has some hereford in him and probably a little longhorn as well, just guessing.  I'd agree he's a nice built bull though.

sandhills

Looked back, definitely has a longhorn body but Hereford head, without the white face?  Don't ask me I only raise cattle and work at a salebarn for a living  :D :D.  What's the new bull going to be?

chevytaHOE5674

Usually (but not always) hereford X cattle retain some or all of the white face, and often white lower legs/feet. Looking at his face he looks a bit like my purebred simmentinal bull, but he has the coloring of a longhorn or short horn. Probably no purebred parents or grandparents, bred from a long line of muts is my guess.

jwade

mutt or not a nice put together bull.

sandhills

I think chevy nailed it, but I'm still sticking with longhorn over shorthorn?  ;)  I can change my mind pretty quick with a simple answer  :D

LeeB

New bull will be a registered hereford. 

I kinda though maybe some semi in him too. But I really don't know, hence asking on here. Guess he could be about almost any mix. Hard for you guys to tell from a picture. 

@sandhills Any thoughts on what he might bring at the sale barn?

sandhills

Quote from: jwade on March 20, 2018, 10:15:37 AM
mutt or not a nice put together bull.

I wouldn't say that but hard to judge by one picture, I will say I don't care much for his front end though, that's why dad picks our bulls I guess  :D.

Jeff

This topic reminds me of one of my favorite old movies.  The Rare Breed with Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith.

The Rare Breed Western 1966 James Stewart, Maureen O'Hara on Vimeo
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

I've got a bunch of mutts. Trying to improve with the new bull and will buy some more hereford heifers later on. I know the money is better for black cows but I like the looks of herefords. 

sandhills

The last weigh up we sold weighed 2260 and brought 76-77 cents a pound last Wednesday my boss thought, the weigh up markets been a little off lately but he's in good shape and that helps A LOT.  I could have bought a good angus bull Saturday that weighed 1350 (a yearling) for probably less than 1.00, he didn't have the greatest numbers but had the bloodlines, couldn't see who I was bidding against and quit, it's hard to bid from out back when you're working  :D.

51cub

I imagine you guys know better than me, but my first guess as soon as I saw the picture was Hereford and Chianina
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

garyfg

Got to watch them hereford cows with that white face. I had a few that got cancer eye.

WV Sawmiller

Looks like American shorthorn my neighbor up the road raises. At least mixed with some.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LeeB

He never had any horns until this last year or so and then the buds popped out.

chevytaHOE5674

Head looks simentenial in build to me also the curly hair on the neck and face. From the head back he looks longhorns (well at least what I know of longhorns..... haha).

Roxie

Dude has a head like a buffalo.  :D 
Say when

log cutter

1/2 Longhorn, 1/4 Hereford and 1/4 Red Angus. Just my guess but he looks allot like my cows that were that combination. Best cows I've every owned.
Timbco 475E

sandhills

Quote from: Roxie on March 20, 2018, 12:02:36 PM
Dude has a head like a buffalo.  :D
:D :D No, trust me Roxie, we've sold beefalos before and this dude looks way prettier  ;D.
garyfg I agree, we see a lot of them, some owners need to be shot.

I'm still going with chevy's Sim/longhorn cross, that's my story and I'm sticking to it  :).

Lee put that new bull on some nice black cows and I'll come buy the f1 cross heifers  ;D.

TKehl

Can't give any more insight on bred than what's above.

However, you mention his momma being 10 years old.  I've been reading that heifers from older cows can be the best bang for the buck.  As on older cow (that keeps producing) will spend proportionately more time raising kids than raising her up to breeding age, the cost of raising her up is spread across more calves.  As such, all else equal, if you have longevity genes in your cattle, they will be more profitable as long as they keep producing. 

In other words, I'd keep her around as long as she has teeth and raises calves.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: TKehl on March 20, 2018, 01:18:16 PMIn other words, I'd keep her around as long as she has teeth and raises calves.   ;)
My philosophy is to dump them before they get too old and they start to go downhill. While they can still eat and raise a calf they are worth decent money to sell as there are always people being buying older bred cows. Once they start going downhill they are only worth their weight in hamburger.
10 to 12 years is the oldest cows I keep UP here in our climate. An old bred cow and a harsh winter and she can go from good condition to skin and bones in no time flat.

Chuck White

If I had to guess, I would guess that it is a Hereford crossed with a Buffalo!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Personally I prefer mutts, especially F1's, but I like them smaller than what the lots prefer these days, they do a lot better on the grass.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Logger RK

After watching Rawhide,I'd say Longhorn & Herford.

coxy

with the curly hair on his head i was thinking he may have highlander in him  but what do i know about beef  just its good to eat  :D

LeeB

Checked local slaughter prices. Guess he's worth about $16-1800. Hate to have to see him go that way but I guess it is what it is. It will pay for the new bull anyway. 

JB Griffin

I also say he has some sim and longhorn in him. My first though was shorthorn but he ain't got the tick that they do.

As to the mane ( curly hair on head and shoulders) bulls are supposed to have that, but it has been bred out some some in recent years. Some more than others. 

From what I heard the beefmaster breed was bred up by taking the highest performing animals in the and crossing them and on and on. Didn't care what color they were, just wanted performance. 
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

starmac

I lean towards the simmental over the hereford too. It just doesn't take a whole lot of hereford blood to throw a white face.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Roxie

It can be hard to send a critter to slaughter, but I always got some comfort from the fact that while we had them, they lived a good life.  Your dude looks like he has been very well fed and is content.  Just remember him in days of sunshine and grass. 
Say when

LeeB

He's been well fed. There's no doubt about that. Our cows feed us so we feed them well. He's no pet by any means but after raising him from the get go we've gotten somewhat attached. Don't know if I'll sell him as slaughter or have him butchered for our own use. To date we've only raised cattle for our own consumption and I have no problem eating them. Now that my career is winding down I'm looking to start selling a few to supplement income, hence the new bull.

starmac

Just raising them for your own consumption, how many cows are you running, I would think AI would be much cheaper than keeping a bull up just to raise meat.

sandhills

I agree, but...  :)  AI (at least around here) if you get a 70% conception rate you're doing good, it still takes a clean up bull though.  Some folks lease bulls, run them on the cows for 60 days then they go back.  As Starmac said it would all amount to how many cows you have, I always said the cow/calf deal would be great if you didn't have to have the bulls around, they just fight and tear all the fences down, of course only the good ones  ::).  Oh, and get hurt in the process.

starmac

I had a friend that had a maintained a herd of long horn bulls, he would lease them to ranchers all over to breed their heifers with. It was a fairly good gig.

Thank You Sponsors!