iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best atv / utv

Started by llawton, August 10, 2018, 09:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llawton

Greetings from Montana!
We are purchasing 20 acres of scrub land with a coulee of pine trees. The property is about 1/2 mile up from a reservoir which has fishing, boating, etc. We are not planning on building at this time, but we need to clear out some deadfall and open the canopy as well as run back and forth to the reservoir. There are two of us and family. No children. We don't want to leave a footprint of tire tracks all over the land. We have seasonal access. Question: what is the best used utility vehicle? Thanks!

samandothers

Welcome to the Forum!

My brother has a Kubota 500 has rtv and I have a Polaris Sportsman 4 wheeler. Sportsman is Not really made for 2.  The Kubota rides rough when going over rocky terrain or small dead fall. At least more so than the Polaris Sportsman.

Kubota ground clearance is ok.  Kubota does have a bed and can haul stuff easier and you can sit side by side under the cover and have a windshield to keep spiders off the misses.

I bought the 4 wheeler when our kids were home and they loved it.  Now with them gone I'd probably go for the Kubota but in a diesel since my tractor and truck are diesels.  It is more of a work viehicle.

sawguy21

The major brands are all well built machines, it comes down to desired features and dealer support. Buying used can be a headache. Can you enlist a seasoned rider/mechanic to inspect the machines? They tend to be rode hard and put up wet and repairs are not cheap. Don't even consider the cheap offshore clones.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

I do quite a lot with a $900 suzuki king quad 300.  I show it no mercy whatsoever and it hasnt broken yet.  Theyre closer to a tractor than any other atv.  

Praise The Lord

Ianab

Kawasaki Mules are popular with farmers here. Comfortable side by side seating, roll cage, roof etc , and they are designed to carry or tow a useful load. A roof and windscreen is a real bonus on a cold rainy day too. 

Safety is a big thing as OSH is cracking down on ATV safety. Too many farm workers getting killed on quad bikes. UTVs like the Mule are able to go pretty much anywhere a quad bike will, WITH 2 people and a load on the back, and if you do end up doing something dumb, you don't get trapped under a heavy quad bike in the bottom of a ditch. 

Ground pressure would be about the same as a quad bike, so they wont tear up the ground any more than a quad. 

Been doing some storm cleanup and using a friends Mule to gather up some limbs for firewood. Tows a full size utility trailer and load like that without breaking into a sweat. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

snowstorm

polaris ranger  top of the list. whats up with no tire tracks???

WV Sawmiller

I badly misuse my Kawasaki Prairie 650 ATV and it keeps on kicking. If you are planning on riding 2 I would highly recommend the UTV as being safer. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Claybraker

I'm happy with my Polaris Ranger 800 EPS (electronic power steering) but I've never heard anything bad about the Mule or the Kubota. The John Deere Gator on the other hand...my brother bought one new about 5 years ago. He got rid of it and now has a Ranger 900 EPS that he's been happy with for about the last 3 years. He's still pretty satisfied with it now.

Fuel injection is a must these days. Power steering is nice, but not really needed. Solid axles in the rear instead of independent suspension makes for a rougher ride, but if you are pulling a load or anticipate ground engagement attachments I'd consider that. Winch on the front, yep, you probably need that.  Enclosed cab, windshield, not so much. Down here in Georgia, where it rains in the summer, it's nice to have a roof.  Windshield is handy in thick brush. Some ATV's can fit in the back of a truck,  but I've seen enough You tube video's to realize what a bad idea that can be.

tawilson

I've got a Kubota RTV500. Been happy with it for 10 years but I do wish it had power steering. Its geared pretty low so lot's of pull but not too fast.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

barbender

I have a 99 Polaris Sportsman 500 that I bought new. I always planned on getting rid of it when Yamaha or Honda came out with a comparable machine, just because Polaris had a bad reputation. That machine has lived it's whole life outside and it's getting badly faded, but it has been bulletproof. I do have a bad CV joint now, but after almost 20 years I'm not too upset. I was sold on the Polaris at the time because of the power and the ride quality. My Dad bought a couple Honda 450 Foreman at the same time, they'd be a good work machine but they were not fun to ride, they really beat you up. Another nice thing about the Polaris 500 platform (they've now grown to a 570) they've been making them so long they're a pretty good bargain. I just saw a sale fir new Polaris Sportsman 570's for $4999. That's $1000 less than what I paid for mine all thise years back. I haven't been around UTV's a lot. Last fall out west I got to ride around in a couple Polaris Rangers. One was an older 500 (I think)   It would be ok for a work rig, but nit that enjoyable for recreation. Slow and loud, the engine is always revved up and the tranny really whined. The other nachine was a new Ranger 1000, that one was nice and a cruisin machine. Loads of power, it was also $18K😲 The owner of that machine had a JD Gator, he was running out of vocabulary to describe what a pile of garbage it was. P.S. They all mke tracks😊
Too many irons in the fire

Ljohnsaw

What about an old Datsun or Toyota 4x4 pickup truck?  Before they got big.  Probably cheaper and a lot tougher.  Put a couple jump seats in the bed for the kids.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

celliott

"Best" is a relative term. Everyone had had good and bad experiences with multiple brands. A UTV/SxS is quite a bit heavier taller and wider than a normal quad, but more capable towing and loads plus some are 4 (safe) seat ready. Quads can get places between trees the big machines can't.
We use Can am 6x6's. A good compromise between quads and utv's. Most people can't believe we don't use utv's for the work we do but they take a bigger trail and are too tall. The 6x6's can do an incredible amount of work and go places you really shouldn't :) 

My 2cents, we've gradually switched from Polaris to Can Am and certainly have noticed a difference in build quality.

On the "no tracks" thing- I think you would be better off to build established trails and maintain them. Water bars, solid surfaces, bridges where needed. And don't go riding wherever all over the property. Eventually you'll find people will "cow path" drive in the same tracks and it makes ruts. An established trail with erosion control minimizes the impact.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

submarinesailor

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 11, 2018, 01:49:15 PM
What about an old Datsun or Toyota 4x4 pickup truck?  Before they got big.  Probably cheaper and a lot tougher.  Put a couple jump seats in the bed for the kids.
Got a 95 with 300K on it sitting down in the country just waiting for me to find the time.  Going to remove the bed, cut the frame way down so it's real short and but a wooden bed on it.  That's after I fix the left rear window to keep the rain out. ::) ::) ::)

Woodcutter_Mo

I don't know how much you want to spend but the sxs I would like to have is the Mahindra Roxor  :o. They have a 4 cyl turbo diesel with 5 speed manual and 4x4.

I just use a Honda ATV, it works for most purposes but a sxs of some sort would be better (and safer) for 2 people.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

wesdor

Not wanting to start a war here - just trying to gather information. 

In our area I see a lot of John Deere Gators (John Deere World Headquarters is about 15 minutes away). I notice that the JD has not been mentioned. What are the positive and negative sides of the Gator?

gspren

When I was looking at UTVs about 6 years ago the JD Gators had plastic beds while the Kubota that I got has a steel bed and that was a deal breaker for me as I know how I am about hauling almost anything and steel welds better than plastic. The Kubotas are limited to around 25 MPH but I seldom go over 15 so not a problem for me although out west in more open country it might be an issue.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

wesdor

Thanks for the quick reply gspren. 
That is indeed a big difference. I'm not very happy with the local Kubota dealer.  I'm not looking to purchase before next spring, if at all, so this is the beginning of my research 

florida

No matter what brand or size the biggest thing you can do not leave tracks is to not mount mud grip tires, make slow and wide turns and don't spin your wheels. 
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Magicman

Quote from: wesdor on August 12, 2018, 12:15:14 PMI notice that the JD has not been mentioned. What are the positive and negative sides of the Gator?
See Reply #7 & Reply #9.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wesdor

Thanks Magicman, I must have skimmed those posts too quickly and missed the comments. 

One of my deer hunters bought a nice one a few months ago (not a Deere). I'll have to pick his brain. 

Looks like there are reports on the Deere. 

barbender

I think that it bears restating how much that fella disdained the John Deere Gator he had previous to the Polaris Ranger. I'm not trying to start a brand war, I couldn't care less about such things. I like quality machines that I can depend on, and his opinion of the Gator was anything but. I know Polaris has had a lot of recalls and some quality issues as of late as well. But the Ranger he had, he was very happy with.
Too many irons in the fire

jcbrotz

Quote from: barbender on August 12, 2018, 11:50:14 PM
I think that it bears restating how much that fella disdained the John Deere Gator he had previous to the Polaris Ranger. I'm not trying to start a brand war, I couldn't care less about such things. I like quality machines that I can depend on, and his opinion of the Gator was anything but. I know Polaris has had a lot of recalls and some quality issues as of late as well. But the Ranger he had, he was very happy with.
Wanna hear something funny My mom has a gator and a bobcat. they both are made by non other than Polaris Yanmar diesel in the bobcat and a rocket motor of some sort in the gator. But Polaris makes the running gear don't know if the new ones are that way or not but 4 year old one is. I have a Kubota because we work the death out of it. 11000 miles and counting :D :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

maple flats

My brother has a bobcat Toolcat, similar but truly in a different class. It has 2 seats, AC/heat and hydraulics to handle any job. He runs a full size stump grinder, a front end loader (5' bucket I think), a hydraulic dump box, a 7' flail mower and a tree shear. It has all wheel drive and 2 or 4 wheel steering.
If you consider one, sit down before you get the price. My brother paid $21,000 for his and it was 12 years old I believe. It also needed work, but my brother is both a mechanic and a machinist. He bought it from a dealer, but with the dealer doing nothing to it, as is where is.
I see now a toolcat that has low hours and it 1-4 years old goes in the mid $40,000's so it will likely not be a recreational vehicle, but a do all work vehicle that looks like a UTV. They can haul 2000# and tow 4000#.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Sixacresand

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on August 12, 2018, 10:54:13 AM
I don't know how much you want to spend but the sxs I would like to have is the Mahindra Roxor  :o. They have a 4 cyl turbo diesel with 5 speed manual and 4x4.
I have researching the Roxor.  I was impressed that Mihindra almost duplicated the 1940's jeep in design and look.  A PTO can be added for a mower.  In reality a small side by side tractor with FEL should be invented
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

samandothers

Whatever you get ensure you are comfortable with the dealer!

Crusarius

I have a Qlink frontrunner. Chinese rhino clone. it is the same as the cub cadet side by side as well as the brand sold by runnings. brand new fully loaded it costs in the $7000 range. it has a 500 cc single cylinder. Tops out about 45 mph has hi lo range 2wd or 4wd with locking front diff. and a tilt bed. Comfortably seats 2. 

I bought it for parts cause I wanted to build a side by side of my own. When I got it the only thing holding it together was the mud. It ended up costing me $300 in parts to put it all back together and working again. After I did that I ran it for a little bit, the thing has been so great that it has turned into my log hauler and plow. I run a 5' plow and the thing pushes snow like you wouldn't believe. it still impresses me what I do with it.

Don't discount the so called cheap chinese ones because if you look at each and every one out there whether they are made in the US or not I bet a good majority of the parts are from china.

Ianab

Quote from: Sixacresand on August 13, 2018, 08:45:07 AMI was impressed that Mihindra almost duplicated the 1940's jeep in design and look.

Mahindra got a licence to build original Willys C2-J Jeeps in the 1940s for the Indian market. They have basically been doing so ever since, and their licence agreement is still current. The Roxor is basically a "non road legal" of the current Mahindra Thar (Jeep Variant) that was released in 2010, and sell in India. I'm guessing the legal requirement of getting it US road legal is is just too much? Air bags / traction control / ABS etc. And offroaders don't want that complexity anyway. So just slap an "off road only" sticker on it, and start selling them. 

Just out of interest, they a made in new car assembly plant in Detroit of all places. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

snowstorm

Quote from: Ianab on August 13, 2018, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: Sixacresand on August 13, 2018, 08:45:07 AMI was impressed that Mihindra almost duplicated the 1940's jeep in design and look.

Mahindra got a licence to build original Willys C2-J Jeeps in the 1940s for the Indian market. They have basically been doing so ever since, and their licence agreement is still current. The Roxor is basically a "non road legal" of the current Mahindra Thar (Jeep Variant) that was released in 2010, and sell in India. I'm guessing the legal requirement of getting it US road legal is is just too much? Air bags / traction control / ABS etc. And offroaders don't want that complexity anyway. So just slap an "off road only" sticker on it, and start selling them.

Just out of interest, they a made in new car assembly plant in Detroit of all places.
sort of. now jeep is suing mahindra. because it looks to much like a jeep. read that on hard working trucks.com

Ianab

Quote from: snowstorm on August 13, 2018, 05:09:34 PMort of. now jeep is suing mahindra. because it looks to much like a jeep. read that on hard working trucks.com

Possible the original agreement was only for India, or that's what the current owners (Fiat?) claim, or it's "open to interpretation". 

The Thar that they sell in India looks EXACTLY like a Jeep, and the Roxor is based on that. Maybe why they changed the design of the grill?

Mahindra Thar - Wikipedia

I'd say it's more of a "Jeep" than what Fiat are currently selling anyway. :D

Crusarius

Jeep has a copyright / patent on the 7 slats in the grill. They have had that as long as I have known.

snowstorm

Quote from: jcbrotz on August 13, 2018, 04:56:12 AM
Quote from: barbender on August 12, 2018, 11:50:14 PM
Wanna hear something funny My mom has a gator and a bobcat. they both are made by non other than Polaris Yanmar diesel in the bobcat and a rocket motor of some sort in the gator. But Polaris makes the running gear don't know if the new ones are that way or not but 4 year old one is. I have a Kubota because we work the death out of it. 11000 miles and counting :D :D
bobcat has been owned by doosan since 2007. polaris did has the asv tracked skid steer for a while

ChadRL

Bought a 18 crew ranger 900. Love it. Lots of power, tons of attachment options for all types of work and large dump box. And...goes like a bat out of hell
Making smoke in northern MN

Chuck White

Quote from: florida on August 12, 2018, 02:21:27 PM
No matter what brand or size the biggest thing you can do not leave tracks is to not mount mud grip tires, make slow and wide turns and don't spin your wheels.
My son has a Polaris Ranger and the one thing I really like about it is that it has a selector switch for: 4-wheel drive, 2-wheel drive and 1-wheel drive!
With the 1-wheel drive feature, turning around in someones driveway or on a lawn doesn't tear things up! ;)  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

I do wish mine had that. the rear axle is spooled. so turning tight anywhere tears up everything.

petefrom bearswamp

2012 Polaris 550 sportsman, beat to death and still taking it.
Rides like a dream and I skid firewood with it..
goes almost anywhere but the plastic doesnt hold up when skimming trees etc or tipping over ( I have done both as has my grandson)
Replaced one axle so far which was cheaper and easier than doing just the cv joint.
I was a Honda man before this one, but the ride was brutal.
Next time, if there is a next time will once again look at the Honda which now is available with independent rear suspension.
2012 Kubota rtv900, rugged and not fast enough for me to get into trouble.
I haul my firewood piled to 3' high and no problems there.
sips fuel.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

My 2003 Honda Rincon has independent rear suspension. Rides great. We're have a 2012 Kubota RTV1140CPX and a new Gator 825i. The old Kubota will be puttering along years after the Gator has gone to the scrap heap. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TKehl

Hard to go wrong with a Honda (as long as you avoid electric shift).  We bought our first Honda for the farm in 1990.  An 1986 Fourtrax 250 2x4.  Still goes good, but have rebuilt the engine once.  

We've added 2 more since.  Mine is a 1999 300cc 2x4 and dads is a 2012 350cc 4x4.  

Other than the rebuild of the 1986 for oil leaks, nothing but brakes, oil changes, and top with gas.  Worn out several sets of tires though.   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Raider Bill

Look for  a Geo Tracker or Suzuki Samurai. UTV with heat and a/c.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

snowstorm

a ranger north star has ac

coxy

I have cub cadet its ok should have went with the 700 but got the 500 jd gators are nice a friend has one with 11,000 miles 625i he just got the 825 with the 3 cylinder gas and hates it the rpm are so high it sounds like its going to blow up as far as the beds go I would rather have the hard plastic we haven't been able to brake the bed on my friends yet not really trying but have thrown some heavy things in there wood and metal   the metal beds dents easy and if you go down a public road in the winter the salt rusts them real fast thats just my 10cents worth 

Iwawoodwork

I second Raider Bill, we have a  Suzuki samurai 4x4 for 15+ years and only had one repair (trans shift tower bushing) ran on and off road, pulled fire wood trailers, logs, carried fencing materials and seats 4 or wife and I plus 3 dogs, used for deer hunting up to 40 miles from our cabin, about the same width as our Polaris 700efi utv 6x6 and was a lot cheaper back then, $1500.

Pulphook

1999 Honda Foreman 500--going on 19 years of abuse hauling, skidding, clearing. Just one minor transmission repair, many oil/filter changes. That's it !
We take 7-8 firewood cords out of the woodlot /year, clear blowdowns. The beast has been rolled, smashed into trees, filled with water in the wetland yet keeps on running.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

reride82

I will reiterate that find a dealer nearby that is good, and you get along with. I have a 2015 Kymco mxu 700i that has been an awesome machine! It has 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd lock and has pulled, climbed, and maneuvered everything I've wanted it to. But, my biggest selling point was my dealer, he has been a parts supplier and mechanic for me on other machines for several years prior and has always been great at returning calls, quick and great service, warranty work, and plus he's a great guy. So, whatever you get, find someone you like to work with first.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Banjo picker

I have no idea as to whats best, because I have only tried the Kubota 900 rtv.  I have made several repairs to the u joints and changed one cv shaft.  Its now 12 years old and has been worked fairly hard.  
  No problems at all with the 3 cyl. diesel motor or trans.  Banjo

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Cruiser_79

We have a contract with the municipality for salt spreading and snow ploughing narrow roads in town and bicycle paths. The wider paths we do with small euro style pickup trucks (L200 or my landcruiser 79) and the narrow paths I do with a Holder C3.42 with a mounted spreader. Good machine and very compact, I can turn around a post stamp. Problem is travel speed, we spread 25 km, and my entire route is 65 km. In a non suspended tractor that means quite some bumping and shaking, and the travel speed of 35 km/h is too slow, especially because next year I live another 10 km more from the municipality yard. 
So I was thinking of a full cab UTV like the kubota RTV900 or 1100, and with a kind of gooseneck trailer. Over here I've never seen it, do you use them in the US or Canada? The load platform won't be enough cause we need at least 800-1000 kg (2000 lbs) of salt. With a gooseneck I could spread the weight on the utv rear axle and the trailer. Would be great if some people have more tips and tricks for carrying more weight.
This is my current setup, the holder with V-plow and spreader. This situation is quite rare over here, we have many years without a single snowflake unfortunately...  :-\

SwampDonkey

Wow, that is a lot of snow for you over there this early before winter. ;D

I thin out the tree and cut firewood where it drops, and I use a Polaris Ranger 570 SxS to forward on a trail network. I've only had it a couple of years now and has been trouble free. I have forwarded 18 cords of firewood, but cut a lot of other wood close to the road, so I just toss on the truck. She's all split before it comes home. No sign of any troubles so far on the SxS. Get a good solid brand and I'm sure it will work like a horse. ;D

I corduroy wet runs on my trails, I have zero rutting. Rutting of the land is one thing I don't tolerate. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cruiser_79

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 16, 2021, 03:21:07 AM

Well that's  a picture of february this year  :D Hope we will get a lot of snow and frost coming winter! 
The polaris looks good, but I prefer a diesel engine. Lot cheaper and just easier cause we have diesel in bulk at the farm. Petrol prices are around 2 euro's per litre at the moment, insane  ???

SwampDonkey

Diesel over here, unless farm dyed is always more than gasoline. Diesel is $1.50/L here and gasoline is $1.45/L. But I assume it's par for farm diesel here. If you have tractors and such, it makes sense to have the diesel. But, we always had both gas and diesel here at the farm. The 5 trucks were all gas, lots of gas small engines. The tractors, wheat combine and air vac motor on the spud harvester was diesel. 

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Cruiser_79

Nearby there is a kioti mechron 2210 for sale. 800 hours, year 2015 and 6500 euros. Not too bad, only it doesn't have a closed cab. Few hundred km from here there is a kubota rtv900 with a new engine and 1600 hours for 8500 euros. 
Think I first take a look at the kioti to get a feeling what they're like. 

Crusarius

Kubota are hydraulic drive just like a zero turn mower. The hydraulic drive means much slower speeds and more power to move the same thing. the units are pretty heavy. 

Kubota makes a great workhorse but not if you want to get anywhere in a hurry. Do they have Mahindra over there? Mahindra has some very nice machines geared towards work but still fast enough to have fun with. And there are diesel options.

mike_belben

be prepared for a much lighter, less robust machine than that holder in any type of sport/work toy.  i will bet 1/3rd of the operating weight.  where the holder is gonna be a lot of structural steel, the sport utility machines will be hollow thinwall tube.  yes they make a lot of ponies, but if you shackled all those ponies to all they could push or pull something will snap.  itll be a tube, a rubber mount or the worst, an aluminum housing.  

i would not be afraid to have a heavy load on a trailer on flatter terrain and you get it up to speed and down to a stop nice and easy without full power.  but i wouldnt suggest a utility vehicle for ramming frozen hip high snowbanks if that is part of the work.  that kinda stuff snaps pickup trucks. 

have you looked at any of the little asian utility pickup trucks.  im not fluent in any of them specifically but i have noted that no one can strain every last nut and bolt on a piece of iron like those rice paddy people with 4000 sacks of grain 20 feet in the air and 3 families riding on top.  whatever they use is darn tough. 
Praise The Lord

wisconsitom

When I was pondering much the same question, a funny thing happened;  my utv/s x s/quad plans resulted in the purchase of a compact utility tractor with FEL.  Man I gotta tell ya, that was so the right decision!
Ask me about hybrid larch!

HemlockKing

I would stay away from Polaris and can am. Yamaha and Honda . For a ATV I would recommend the 420 rancher or rubicon.
A1

SwampDonkey

You can do a lot with a tractor and FEL. I have, did most of the yard work here after the house build and other buildings. I moved around 20 loads of top soil, spreading it evenly was a different matter. The SxS was nice when spreading the soil around evenly for the lawn, getting it all spread out and not compacting it down hard doing it. A pallet and some weight and drag'er around. ;D

Brother has owned a Polaris for 20 years, only put a new drive belt on it. And he used to plow the driveway until we got a tractor together. Yep, a tractor is nice. ;)
Nothing wrong with a Polaris that would make me avoid them. I certain dealer I would not go near though. :D

Cruiser_79

Quote from: mike_belben on December 16, 2021, 10:20:25 AM
be prepared for a much lighter, less robust machine than that holder in any type of sport/work toy.  i will bet 1/3rd of the operating weight.  where the holder is gonna be a lot of structural steel, the sport utility machines will be hollow thinwall tube.  yes they make a lot of ponies, but if you shackled all those ponies to all they could push or pull something will snap.  itll be a tube, a rubber mount or the worst, an aluminum housing.  

i would not be afraid to have a heavy load on a trailer on flatter terrain and you get it up to speed and down to a stop nice and easy without full power.  but i wouldnt suggest a utility vehicle for ramming frozen hip high snowbanks if that is part of the work.  that kinda stuff snaps pickup trucks.

have you looked at any of the little asian utility pickup trucks.  im not fluent in any of them specifically but i have noted that no one can strain every last nut and bolt on a piece of iron like those rice paddy people with 4000 sacks of grain 20 feet in the air and 3 families riding on top.  whatever they use is darn tough.
It certainly will be lighter than the Holder. But the speed and comfort is really a pro for a full suspension utv. That's why we don't want a tractor, a Deutz agrokid or similar would be good for snow ploughing and all other kind of jobs. But for that many road km's the lack of suspension and 30 km gearbox will get annoying. 
Over here we don't have hills/mountains so towing a trailer wouldn't be too hard in comparison to your situations. Total weight of a trailer and filled spreader will be 1500 kg (3000 lbs) at most. 
Are the cvt's of JD gator's and Kioti's reliable and easy to fix? If it's not too expensive I don't mind to have spare parts in the workshop. In this kind of work you can't afford to wait for parts. The hydrostatic pumps and the 4 wheel motors make the Holder quite expensive to fix and vulnerable, in my opinion a utv is built less complicated. Correct me if wrong!

mike_belben

In my opinion There is no ATV that will last too long pushing and pulling 3000 lbs. I have tried it.

I dunno on the farm type UTV end but the racer ones, i see guys put tractor tires on and snap balls joints with ease,  no trailer involved.  Theyll have the horsepower but the tie rod ends and control arms i am not so sure they wont twist up.  With that much weight you got full traction so theres no fuse.  Parts not up to snuff will crack twist or snap if the tire cant spin and you put all the ponies to it.  
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

If your going to remove snow, get a CAT on tracks and a Quick Attach snow blower. ;D

I think the payload on most UTV's is 2000-2500 lbs on the bigger machines and tow capacity as well. Don't expect it to be a tractor. There are just square tubing and a lot of plastic. ;) Heavy wet snow, which is probably common over your way, is next to impossible or very slow to push with a UTV or ATV.

A small tractor with a cab is a pretty sweet deal these days. You buy a UTV and you gotta built it from there: cab, air, good tires and onward adding to cost.

snowstorm

Quote from: Cruiser_79 on December 16, 2021, 03:36:18 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 16, 2021, 03:21:07 AM

Well that's  a picture of february this year  :D Hope we will get a lot of snow and frost coming winter!
The polaris looks good, but I prefer a diesel engine. Lot cheaper and just easier cause we have diesel in bulk at the farm. Petrol prices are around 2 euro's per litre at the moment, insane  ???
I have been plowing and sanding town roads for over 20 yrs. Most of the storms we use f550 fords 10ft plow 9ft wing with side dump bodies to sand in front of the rear wheels. Big storms I have bigger trucks. Polaris made a brutas that is dieselhystat front and rear pro. Lots of attachments. Fisher makes a v plow for a Polaris ranger and others. Will a ranger work for you.? I would think so.it would plow fine. Putting out salt you will end up with a some on the machine. Trackless makes a rig that looks a lot like your holder. I have seen used go cheap. A couples web sites for you. H p Fairfield. They are the biggest snow equipment dealer in maine. Fisher snow plows. Everest snowplows

Cruiser_79

Quote from: snowstorm on December 18, 2021, 08:36:02 AM

I have been plowing and sanding town roads for over 20 yrs. Most of the storms we use f550 fords 10ft plow 9ft wing with side dump bodies to sand in front of the rear wheels. Big storms I have bigger trucks. Polaris made a brutas that is dieselhystat front and rear pro. Lots of attachments. Fisher makes a v plow for a Polaris ranger and others. Will a ranger work for you.? I would think so.it would plow fine. Putting out salt you will end up with a some on the machine. Trackless makes a rig that looks a lot like your holder. I have seen used go cheap. A couples web sites for you. H p Fairfield. They are the biggest snow equipment dealer in maine. Fisher snow plows. Everest snowplows
Wow never heard of the Polaris brutus, that looks awesome! At my brothers farm we have to keep 1.50 meter (5ft) free of plants next to canals and ditches, to avoid herbicides getting in the water. A machine like this would be ideal to mow it. With the full suspension it isn't as harsh as with a narrow track tractor.  Is the Polaris Brutus still made or did they quit? 

Machinebuilder

I'm not familiar with the Polaris Brutus. I did see it was developed with Bobcat and is no longer made and was recalled in 2020.

Bobcat has the Toolcat which is available in several Different configurations, Maybe it would work for you.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

snowstorm

Quote from: Cruiser_79 on December 19, 2021, 04:24:17 PM
Quote from: snowstorm on December 18, 2021, 08:36:02 AM

Wow never heard of the Polaris brutus, that looks awesome! At my brothers farm we have to keep 1.50 meter (5ft) free of plants next to canals and ditches, to avoid herbicides getting in the water. A machine like this would be ideal to mow it. With the full suspension it isn't as harsh as with a narrow track tractor.  Is the Polaris Brutus still made or did they quit?
I don't know if the brutas is still made or not. I have seen a couple for sale under 20k the bob cat tool cat is big money. The key is find a machine you can use year round. Another web site to check out snow business magazine. I get it. It caters more to plowing parking lots. But it will show a lot of smaller ice and snow control machines. I have been to holland 3 times always in the spring I didn't know you got much snow there. I assume the bike paths are paved? Are you using just salt or salt sand mix? With either put some out when it first starts snowing that helps keep it from bonding to the pavement. Even better is pre wet the salt with water and salt mixed together. And cutting edges I only run carbide. They are pricy but last a long time

Old Greenhorn

I drive a Toolcat in my part time work at the sawmill. Mostly it has the forks on it for logs and lumber moving. Personally I love the machine, powerful and nimble. That 4 wheel steering is very neat. I don't own it though (wish I did). The owner tells me it's a dog in the snow, but let me qualify that, we are in a very rugged area handling a lot of snow, none of the roads or working areas are paved at all. The issue is with the hard tires, so the boss is considering some more standard pneumatic tires during snow events. Those would take chains if needed. It's a very heavy machine for it's size, but now that I think of it, this might fit the OP's requirements much better than any UTV would. Yes it's pricey, but very comfortable, good heat, and it moves along pretty good. I've never even had it over 1/4 throttle.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Cruiser_79

We don't get much snow. We have plenty of winters without snow unfortunately. But if there is snow we have to plow our routes within 3 hours. All bicycle paths are paved and usually we spread salt before the snow gets in to avoid sticking snow. Most of the times there is only 1-2 days of snow. We get rain/snow when the wind is humid and from the North Sea. And cause the water is relative warm temperatures rise and cause melting quite quick. Last year wind turned north so it didn't melt but made snow dunes in this flat country. So maybe it's an idea to use a utv for spreading, and use or rent a tractor for plowing in the rare case of snowing.

Bobcat toolcats are hard to find over here. A smaller and lighter utv I could use for surveying and on the farm year round. The mahindra longbed looks good with some extra length compared to the other utv's but till now I haven't found a dealer in Europe.
Found a JCB groundhog nearby but I'm afraid it will be hard to find parts because they aren't build anymore.

K-Guy

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 19, 2021, 08:02:48 PMI drive a Toolcat in my part time work

Those are some beautiful machines, I wish my pockets were deep enough to afford one with the appropriate attachments.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, last year I toyed with the idea of getting one for here, but the prices, even for used were too rich for me. The nice thing is having that box on the back to carry tools and such which you can't do with a skid steer, and much more comfy to operate. For what we do, it's like my little company car. I drive into the shop yard in the morning, warm up the toolcat drive it alongside my truck, transfer my personal tools, lube water, and stuff into the bed, then drive down to the mill for the session. AT the end of the day I came back up with a load of 5' slabs and dump them in the OWB (which heats the whole complex, shop, house, pool, etc.) then return my tools and park it. If I need to I can switch implements but mostly I stick with the forks. Wish I could afford one, I'd get a lot more done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

I had a 5610 Bobcat Toolcat. That's the one with 3 point rear they brought out for a few days years ago that I was going to buy it  until I drove it around in the snow that wasn't very deep and got stuck

K-Guy

Walnut Beast. That bad, well then it's no good in Maine.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

HemlockKing

Best utv would be a old 80s Toyota pickup with the 22re lol . Basically same size 
A1

Walnut Beast

Quote from: K-Guy on December 21, 2021, 03:47:46 PM

Walnut Beast. That bad, well then it's no good in Maine.
They are a nice machine and workhorses  but have several  limitations 

Thank You Sponsors!