iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moisture meters

Started by woodhick, November 20, 2005, 07:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

What is the best type of entry level meter.  Mostly will be used in woodworking shop.  Should I go pin type or pinless. ???
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Don_Lewis

If you are checking green lumber as well as dry lumber, a pin meter is best. If you are only checking dry lumber for a cabinet shop, either a pinless or pin meter will work. I think the first meter someone buys should be a pin meter but that is a debate with arguments on both sides.

PawNature

I bought a pin meter from Harbour Freight for $15. Had it for about 6 months work ok so far.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

whitey

I have a wagner  205  it will only read up to 20%  so I know when i air dry its kiln time .I air dry to 12% then heat and treat .  The pMostinless is fast to use and very accurate below 20%  I use mine on final finishes before the lumber goes in the shop.   Most of the logs i work with have been cut at least a year so it works for me.    Whitey
you  don't have to be crazy to cut juniper but it sure helps !

Gunny

wh:

I guess I don't quite understand the "entry-level" situation but I'd go with a hammer-probe over anything I've seen in the 15 years I've been around the drying game.  Both mine have been the Delmhortst R2000 and, though it's pretty expensive, I'm always confident in the readings I get and am deligthed with whatever service I've ever had to ask of the company.

My sole experience with the pinless model (a very expensivce one at that) was as I brokered "kiln-dried" lumber for a local outfit last winter.  They swore by that meter and, after about 3 months of my getting their lumber to the market, I began getting calls from concerned cabinet makets, home craftsmen, etc.  Their readings (they'd all bought certain amounts and stored it in their workshops for use at a later date) were all over the place, up to 23% in some cases.  Rather than get involved in a lengthy diatribe here, I'll just say that I stopped doing business with those producers as soon as  they made it clear to me that they intended to keep selling that stock, even after the senior member of the group called me to tell me that his readings were from 14%-26% throughout their remaining inventory.

So, I'd advise that you obtain a meter that'll get you deep into the guts of the fibers.  Especially if you plan on marketing your lumber or products to others.

We had a lengthy and informative thread here related to "Equilibrium Moisture Content" last Mar-April which you might want to review.  Fabulous information!

Happy drying.

Jeff

Gunny is this the one you were referring to?  I tried to dig it up, but not sure if this is the one you want.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=10421.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gunny

JB:

It's so nice to be in the presence of a Master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You naied it with the link.

j

Thank You Sponsors!