iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you use for material handling ?

Started by Florida boy, January 29, 2019, 10:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

I started out using a 25 hp chinese "bison" brand tractor. Without any fel. Just a boom pole and home made forks on the back 3 point. About 2 years ago I bought a Ford 3400 that runs good and has fel. Been a stout workhorse allowing me to load unload and stack palletized lumber and logs.
The only drawback is lifting capacity around 3000 breakout force 2200 # to full height.
Well just bought a mastercraft rough terrain forklift with 6000# capacity side shift 12' mast . Really hoping that this will make life easier.
   So how many of you guys use a forklift versus tractor front end loader or skid steer?
I would have liked to have found a skid steer but the price was right on the master craft.
Whatcha using around the yard?

wisconsitom

There's a 2007 Mastercraft Rough Terrain unit for sale on ebay right now.  Looks like a nice unit albeit rear tires look bald.  Asking $$14,900.00.  Would love to have, but not at this time.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

mddillon78

I started with a winch and truck, then got a backhoe, which was way too big, then got a small skid steer, which was too small, then bought a larger tracked skid steer.  With out terrain the tracked skid steer has been amazing.  Its like a tanks and goes anywhere.  Also capable of lifting over 5000#, so it is strong and nimble.  Its been the perfect machine for us.  We use a grapple and forks for implements.  Its been a great combination!  If you want to see our different machines in action you can find videos of them on our YouTube channel.  It might give you some insight on how well each one works.

- Mike Dillon
"Dillons Woodworks"
Dillons Woodworks - YouTube
Michael Dillon
Dillons Woodworks - New Hampshire
Custom Sawmilling and Woodworks
Dillonswoodworks
Dillonswoodworks - YouTube

Percy

We have two A300 Bobcats. They are basically a large skid steer but the wheels behave like an articulating loader...or at the push of a button, you can put it in skid steer mode if you get into a tight spot. They dont tear up the ground(in all wheel steer mode)(tires last forever) and with an experienced operator, can load a 5000 pound lift of lumber, load the log deck easily, remove slabs, and using another completed lift as a backstop build lifts out of larger heavier beams that would give me a hernia....or hemmeroids atleast... they are  not as easy to get in and out of as other types of machinery, and spend alot of time on two wheels when moving the heavy stuff. 

Everyone has their own criteria/agenda when milling so your needs need to be pondered carefully when choosing a machine. These machines have worked excellently for us.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

mike_belben

I only play with a homemade chainsaw track mill for small volumes of project wood.  Skid steer with forks for cut stuff and loading individual logs.  4wd nasco forklift for managing bigger stuff. 

Theyre both happy to play 52 card pickup and would benefit from a grapple but oh well.  I paid $4000 delivered for the forklift and it was advertised for months so theyre out there with pretty low demand.  Not many other $4000 tools are gonna set 15k on your roof. 
Praise The Lord

Southside

Lull with a 6,000 lb lift and 44' reach.  Have found it to be a LOT more useful than I ever imagined.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

My dad had an old lull and the dexterity was much better than my machine. Plus it could crab steer into much tighter stuff than articulated loaders.  Brute force wise the steer axles drastically reduced its capacity but for as big as it was it had very fine stay in place motor skills so to speak.  Couldnt have done without the zoom boom at the junkyard.  

For max lift and pretty good dexterity an articulated bucket loader with grapple forks is hard to beat. Easy on the ground and dont drop loads too often.  A forklift just cant curl down enough to slide everything off.  Thats when you end up ramming into stuff by accident, pulling your hair out at the one stupid log that wont roll.  Then it does, right into the fence or shed or plum off the other side of the trailer.  
Praise The Lord

woodworker9

I have a New Holland L185 wheeled skidsteer.  Lift capacity is 2500 lbs., but I have a weight kit on it, and have successfully unloaded a machine with a known weight of 3500 lbs. with it.  I use it for everything, including moving logs to the sawmill and sawn lumber to my drying shed, unloading woodworking machinery in my shop, and loading trucks.  I also plow my long driveway with it.  I'd be sunk without it.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

charles mann

iv got a 2018 kubota 73 horse with 3000# loader arms, but can go to 3500 #, but i loose about 6-8" of lift. it does descent for the smaller stuff, up to 3000 # of course, but wont do much for my bigger logs. some are upwards of 6000 #, so dragging them will be the only way to move them whole. luckily, slabs will be easier to manage. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Brad_bb

Farmall  tractor forklift conversion.  Rough terrain, and tight turn radius, 2500 LB capacity.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

John Bartley

Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

moodnacreek

Started with a IH 350 U / harlow fork lift, would go 20' and lift 3500 lbs. Never get stuck with chains. Had power steering problems and kept breaking starters. Next a 10,000 clark dual wheel  air tire fork lift, gasoline perkins, burns a lot of oil but a powerful machine. Started picking up triple the lbs. that the ih did, broke all the pallets, learned how to make them. Last year got a 10,000 Yale perkins diesel, an '06, no electronics. For logs it's the old f1800 load star rear mount frm Prentiss.

PAmizerman

6035 traverse. Made by Pettibone.
Would be lost without it.

It's only downside is it drinks alot on the job! Diesel that is!!
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Kwill

Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

carhartted

Hyster z90c zoom boom. Works great. Used a 428 backhoe before that. Much prefer the forklift. I can reach over the mill and scoop the slab pile.
Here's to making sawdust.

redbeard

use the John Deere tractor loader  less and less after getting the Ingersoll Rand far reach lift still finding uses around log yard with it.

loading and unloading trailers, flatbeds and Box trucks makes it so handy.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

LoneDuck

This is my case 480d. First installed a quick attachment system for forks and soon a grapple bucket. Then last summer I adapted the John deere backhoe so with four bolts I can have the backhoe or the big Gannon box blade the tractor came with.  It's been a great tractor,  not to big but big enough for under $6000.

DARRELL1972

I'm using a 1972 windham 8k forklift. I also have a 4000 ford industrial tractor with forks that is use to snake and load logs.
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

longtime lurker

I do have a 40 gal drum of Old Cat Yellow, I just dont have time to use it.

Forklifts are good on packs of lumber, and in a tight space (with good ground under them) there is no substitute for one. My old Hyster is good for 4 ton.

Outside I prefer wheel loaders... that little chinese machine with the quick hitch front is a great utility machine... lift 2½ ton, pallet forks, log forks, chip bucket, 4WD and an air cab: what more do you want? In a sawmill setting for what you pay for them new with a warranty I'd never look at a secondhand cat again. Different thing if I was running a quarry or desilting dams 14 hours a day but for this kinda work they're very good value for money.

The old LD9 will handle a 6 ton log like its not even there. Some places there is no substitute for brute force, and a log yard in a sawmill is one of them.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

nopoint

Skid steer and telehandler here. If I had to choose one machine to have around it would be the skid steer. Handy for so many jobs, even gets a spot in the heated shop on these  cold days. If it wasn't for the telehandler I would be wishing for a bigger skid though. Grapple is so handy. Sorry no pics can't seem to remember how to insert.

randy d

We transport our logs and lumber with a John Deere 4320 compact tractor with pallet forks works pretty good when I had my first mill we used New Holland skid steer worked good also but tore up the ground pretty bad. Randy

alanh

580 case with a 4 way front bucket for the big stuff, but

this guy does an impressive amount of work

Crusarius

Quote from: alanh on January 30, 2019, 11:29:06 AM
580 case with a 4 way front bucket for the big stuff, but

this guy does an impressive amount of work
I often wondered how those would work everytime I drool over one. would be great for a portable job in someones backyard with very tight quarters. if the mill was built good enough you could put it right on the mill for transport.

Dave Shepard

I have a Kubota L48. My preference is a Lull type telehandler.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

alanh

I was actually quite surprised on what it can lift,  if it can`t lift it (16  ft, 28" oak) I get the forks under it, curl back a hair and the log is off the ground enough to push it..or roll it. very handy for the slabs, moving pallets, etc. Its so small and manueverable I find myself avoiding using the big machine., This one is 3k lbs, I wouldn`t put in on my mill but lotsa guys get them in the back of their trucks.

Thank You Sponsors!