iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The best weed-wacker

Started by Qweaver, April 30, 2014, 04:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I have a husky that I like it and it always starts easily but I'm going to buy another to keep at the farm and wonder if there is a "best" one?  Opinions?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quinton, everybody that has worked on the farm has spoken positively about my Stihl FS85.  It is a straight-shaft Professional grade trimmer.

The Stihl straight shaft trimmers use a driveshaft; unlike the rounded shaft trimmers that use a cable.  The driveshaft models run smoother.

I've had mine for around 10 years and there are days that it has run for several hours on end.  Since the EPA regs have changed in the interim, this model is probably no longer available.

You might want to check to see what the local landscape companies are using.  That's what I did when I bought mine and I have not been disappointed.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

21incher

I also have had a Stihl FS85 for about 10 years now. I use it around 5 hours a week and have only had to change the fuel filter once, no other problems. The dealer replaced the tubular drive shaft with a solid shaft for using the brush saw so it is a little heavy, but very dependable and always starts easily.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Al_Smith

I suppose it depends on what you use it for .I've got a few smaller ones with a little 28 CC Echo the best of  the bunch .25 dollar garage sale special .Then you have Swampish with a brush saw that cost about  as much as a new MS660 .

I gave up on nylon twine years and use nylon blades instead . They come either 9 or 12 to the package and I doubt I use an entire package in a year .

Every so often I get in the mood and get another little wacker running,usually a funky carb .I get them for free and give them away .

thecfarm

No help to ya. I have a Echo that is 25 years old. Had to replace the starter 2 years ago. Looks like the coil is gone now,that's all the problem I had with it. I have used that poor thing ALOT. No big deal to run 3-4 tanks through it in a day. I have cut knee high grass with it for those 3-4 tankfuls too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I've got an Echo PAS 230 with a straight shaft trimmer, chainsaw pruner and extension.  It's been a good machine.  I've had it three seasons and have used it extensively with the string trimmer in the vineyard.  I'd buy another :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

celliott

We USED to have an echo SRM 310? I think, maybe bigger. Straight shaft, bike handlebars. Had cord, and a brush blade. It was a great trimmer. Younger brother learned the lesson about 2 strokes needing mixed gas one day, and now we have a craftsmen that everybody detests....
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

Have had Stihl now for around 25-30 years. Didn't wear out the first one, just wanted more HP and have been running that one (FS120) for the last 15. Excellent machine. Wouldn't venture to say it is the best, as I don't know any others.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

the best weed trimmer is whatever my wife runs :D she has a stihl fs 45 , seem pretty good
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

sawguy21

:D As long as she runs it it's gotta be good. There are a lot of good trimmers out there. What are you using it for? If just for grass around the house a curved shaft with light line is perfectly good. Stihl, Husky, Echo make some fine units, my Echo GT-200 is a champ. For heavier weeds around out buildings a straight shaft with .095 line is called for. The new four strokes have power to spare but are too heavy for my liking and require more maintenance. I am hard core 2 stroke, my choice here would be Echo. Light, lots of power and simple. As with saws, go with what you like from a good dealer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gfadvm

I have 2 Echos that have been excellent tools. Really easy to start EVERY time. BUT my neighbor was over helping me one day with his Stihl and ran it out of fuel so he picked my spare up and used it briefly before shutting it down. He said "this thing spins the wrong way and you have to walk backwards to use it". I never noticed that!

Dave Shepard

For bent shaft trimmers, I've run a lot of Echo GT 2400 and GT230s. They are great, if still available. For straight shaft, the Stihls have been very good. We have the FS85, and I've run FS66, 85, 106, 108, 120, 200, and 250.  I like the 200/250 with the bike handles for heavy whacking.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

Quote from: gfadvm on May 01, 2014, 10:16:10 PM
I have 2 Echos that have been excellent tools. Really easy to start EVERY time. BUT my neighbor was over helping me one day with his Stihl and ran it out of fuel so he picked my spare up and used it briefly before shutting it down. He said "this thing spins the wrong way and you have to walk backwards to use it". I never noticed that!
Switching from bent shaft to straight shaft takes a little getting used to. Sweeping from right to left seems to work best with my Echo. I'm going to try a demo straight shaft, will be interesting to see how it feels. FWIW, Dolmar has a new 2 stroke straight shaft, the MS 27C. Gotta get my hands on one. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

;) Well, I have a $100 MTD weed eater I got at Walmart 15 years ago. Works fine. Then there is always the Sthil FS550 brush saw I can attach a weed eater head onto I suppose.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

Well the Stihl fs85 I recommended gave out today. The coil failed and no spark. Seems to be a common problem with this unit and the coil goes for over $60.00 at the dealer plus the bump head started acting up this year. No more Stihls for me as the replacement parts are overpriced. Going out tomorrow to buy a Echo straight shaft and then try to sell the Stihl for parts online.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

GDinMaine

I bought a Toro-branded weed whacker. I also have the bush trimmer and the sweeper thingy for it.  It has worked very well for 10 years now, and absolutely zero maintenance. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

beenthere

QuoteThe coil failed and no spark. Seems to be a common problem with this unit

After how many years do they give out?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Al_Smith

Since this thread started ,bad news .My Echo gt 1100 failed to make the starting gate this season .It seems the coil is having a moment .Sooo off to the Stihl dealers and bought a brand new Fs 45 I think ?

Whatever it is it does pretty good ,not one of those so called high tech engines .Coil for the Echo was 75 bucks for a unit I payed 25 for so don't be chastising Stihl for high prices ,seems like they all are prone to that .

SwampDonkey

Been around brush saws awhile and 3 brands. To replace a front end angle gear assembly, they're all $325 or so. ;D Makes no difference from what I see. In fact some dealers might carry 4 brands.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

AdamT

Roundup with a little 2,4-D makes the best weed eater.

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

gspren

Quote from: 21incher on May 20, 2014, 06:59:30 PM
Well the Stihl fs85 I recommended gave out today. The coil failed and no spark. Seems to be a common problem with this unit and the coil goes for over $60.00 at the dealer plus the bump head started acting up this year. No more Stihls for me as the replacement parts are overpriced. Going out tomorrow to buy a Echo straight shaft and then try to sell the Stihl for parts online.

My fs85 is a teenager and still on original coil so they don't all die young.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

21incher

Quote from: beenthere on May 20, 2014, 08:28:10 PM
QuoteThe coil failed and no spark. Seems to be a common problem with this unit

After how many years do they give out?
About 10 years of light residential use always stored indoors.

Bought the Echo SRM-225 today and after using it for 1 hour I really like it. It is about the same weight as the Stihl but has very little vibration compared to the FS-85 so my hands did not get numb from vibrations like when using the Stihl. Filled it with 50/1 gas and it started right up with 3 pulls. The Echo has more low end torque and can be run at a lower rpm and still cuts great without bogging down ( I think the Echo 8 cornered .095 line accounted to easier cutting also ). After running for a little over 1 hour there was still 1/3 of a tank of fuel left where the Stihl would burn a similar tank in 45 minutes. And the cutting head does not have to be taken apart to load line. Just cut a 20 ft piece slide it through the head to center it and wind the head to load it. The other thing that had me worried was the guard over the string was much smaller on the Echo but it it turned out the Echo throws the cut material back from the cut where the Stihl guard would cause the grass to wraparound and back into the flower beds. So for $200 with a 5 year warranty I am extremely happy. But time will tell.

drobertson

Only had two, the last for 18 years, Huskie 225R,  never an issue, I'd say whatever you like as far as brands, finding a good mono line is a bigger trick,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ScottAR

I've found Stihl line to be good quality... I'm sure there are others out there but a medium size roll lasts me a few seasons so I haven't looked hard. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!