iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern Red Cedar Span question

Started by RayInTexas, February 25, 2014, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayInTexas

I have a late 1800s stagecoach stop on my property that we are currently restoring. I am planning on putting Eastern Red Cedar beams across the top for visual effect.  Beam span would be a little less than 15 ft.  I am planning to use 6x8 beams but want to make sure they will not bend/warp down over time. They will be indoors and have no load on them except for electrical conduit on top and a ceiling fan.  I'm pretty sure they will work, but just wanting to double check and have not been able to find a span table for this wood that I can understand.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ray.

The simple answer is yes.  Here are axe hewn ERC beams spanning 16' in my Cabin Addition. 

There is no downward load as such, but they are serving as ceiling joist and preventing the walls from spreading apart.  I did not have beams long enough so these were spliced.

The entire project can be found here: Cabin Addition  Harvesting the beams begins with Reply #162 on page 9.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4speed

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ray. These pictures are of a church building my friend had built on his property 6 years ago. It was built entirely out of ERC. Most of the beams were 4x6's. I was out there last month and saw no signs of deflection or bowing. I would not hesitate to use an ERC 6x8 for what you need. Where are you located in Texas?

MattJ

Here is my record span with ERC.  Its two 2"x7"x19' beams of ERC on timber framed brackets that are bolted to the triple 2x6's on each side of the garage.  This was built for a neighbor in a landscaping for woodworking barter.  The sawyer who cut these said it nearly killed him trying to cut them.

If you look at the trim from the garage door you will see it hasn't sagged.  Granted the load is minimal other than the beams itself and a few hundred pounds of slats but the span is 17'.

Matt

RayInTexas

Thanks for the replies and great images. I'm feeling better about using the ERC as cross beams.  I would have got back sooner but did not receive an email notification about the postings. I actually found my own thread while searching for more info on ERC.  I have since changed my settings to be notified.

4speed, I live just south of New Braunfels in the county. I'll be getting my ERC in Rusk, just north of Lufkin when I'm ready. My wife's 91-year-old uncle lives in Lufkin and we visit him a couple times a year.

I've attached an image of the stagecoach stop I'm putting back together.  I guess I should say putting the rest back together because the only rock work I did on this was the tree -- its twin is on the inside.  Rocks weighed quite a bit and the guys that did the work used a Bobcat with a forklift attachment and harness to hoist the rocks in place. The guys that did the work also did a lot of the work on the Alamo and the missions in San Antonio South of me.

You can see the notches I had put in for the ERC to span every four feet. I'm going to extend them out to give it that 1800s look. 

Magicman, glad I saw your cabin extension. Your roof line is similar to the one I'm planning except I plan on making the front wall, where the tree is, taller than the back.  I plan on making the tree another 18-24 inches so it looks complete.  That area will have cedar siding to the left and right.

thecfarm

That looks great!!!! And it's not even done yet. Keep on posted with pictures,please.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RayInTexas

It's been a year since I posted and it's past time to come back and update everyone.  It wasn't until November that I made the 250 mile drive to the Wilcox Mill in Rusk, Tx to get my ERC.  You can see it loaded on my flatbed.  It was 4ft. over the back of the trailer which made for a slow drive back to New Braunfels.  I lost count of how many times I got passed.

Other photos are of the big saw i rented to square up the ends at the right length and a newer image of the rock house after I pressure washed it.

Now that Daylight Savings Time is here I'll soon get started on placing those timbers in the notches along the top of the walls and then finishing up the roof.

Thanks for all the posts about the wood.  I'm pretty sure I'll have no problems with the wood sagging.  Matter-of-fact, Lacey Wilcox, who owns the mill, put a slight bow in all the timbers that I will aim skyward so that the tension on the boards will get stronger over time as they push downward.

Magicman

It's good to see you back and working on your project again.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!