iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker's Choice wood cookstove?

Started by Bibbyman, January 19, 2013, 08:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

In the winter when the fire in the woodstove is going all day long I'd cook meals on the stovetop on the weekends but had to use the electric oven for roasting. When we did a reno on our house this year, our old woodstove(20 yr old Quadra fire) was retired due to a burned out steel plate.
We were interested in a La Nordica Milly wood cookstove but it was a bit too small to heat our house so we ended up with a Margin Flameview wood cookstove. It's been a great addition so far and we've cooked baked and roasted in the oven with no problems or headaches.
We slow roasted a homegrown chicken at 300 F for 3 hours and it was no problem holding that temp and didn't need to hover near the stove. On Thanksgiving last weekend we cooked a 10lb ham and a large dish of scallop potatoes 2 hours @ 350 F followed by a delicious apple crisp.
Bacon, eggs and pancakes most weekends and good 'ol corn bread too. I bought a book on cooking with wood but basically you have to remember there is a lot of top heat and not so much bottom heat and the right side of the oven is hotter than the left.

Also learned a bit from Jimmie Rogers in The mule skinner blues  :)

" I smell your bread a burnin, turn your damper down
if you don't have a damper good gal, turn your bread around"

Jimmie Rodgers "Mule Skinner Blues" (1930) - YouTube
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Quote from: Paul_H on October 18, 2019, 10:32:34 PM" I smell your bread a burnin, turn your damper down
if you don't have a damper good gal, turn your bread around"
Excellent advice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jack Lilley

We have a Pioneer Princess at our camp and my buddy has had a Bakers Choice at his camp for years, they are an excellent stove, you will not be disappointed. 

Pine Ridge

My mother and grandmother both had wood cookstoves, they didn't use them all the time. I have no idea what brand they had, both were black and white. Some biscuits and gravy they made on those old stoves would sure be good this morning !!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

hedgerow

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and there were a fair amount of folks using wood burning cook stoves in my area. Lots of folks used corn cobs in them in the summer for a fire that didn't last all day. Not for sure the brands they were. Many family's had moved the wood cook stove out to the summer kitchen for canning work also. My BIL parents had a wood electric cook stove for years when I was a kid my sister was 10 years older than me. 

SwampDonkey

There is an art to cooking on a wood fired stove for sure. ;)

The old hermit making lefse on his outdoor wood fired stove. He later got a genuine lefse stick to use in a later video.

Lefse, and the NPL - YouTube

When I was a kid everyone around here cooked on a wood fired stove. Everyone I knew had an Enterprise, built here in New Brunswick at Sackville. Seen a lot of them in camps to. :) The foundry burnt in 2012 and is no more.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

SD,

I make lefse around Christmas usually on a electric griddle but used the wood stove a few times too.

We have an old wood cook stove in the barn that I may use one day in a cabin but it needs some work. This is the badge on it. Is it the same company you mentioned in Sackville?

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Paul, The two companies merged a few years ago I believe (1984). All the old stoves out this way that I was around was before that, with the Enterprise branding. The foundry, at one time, was one of only a very few left in the world making wood fired cook stoves.

This site has an old photo from 1931 and some sort of CN car control manual, something to do with the foundry.

Confessions of a Train Geek: Destruction of Enterprise Fawcett

My uncle always dreamed of having the 'Monarch' model. His uncle had one and still is in the old house. Lots of chrome on it. An old railroad  foreman, so he had a good job for 40+ years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!