iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed on instant message service

Started by Jim_Rogers, November 28, 2005, 06:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I need to download a new instant message service.
Today I looked at the new AIM at aol and it says you have to be a member, and I'm not.
I would like to find one where I can get the service without paying anything for it.
Do know which one will allow me to use the service and not have to pay for it?
Thanks.
Jim Rogers

PS. this will be used outside of the FF.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Radar67

MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger are free. You have to set up a free email account with them. (Hotmail and Yahoo Mail). I use MSN a good bit for college teams online. I like it better than Yahoo.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

you have to be a member to get AIM now?  hmm, that's strange...

I use AIM, MSN, and Yahoo. they all have their strong points.  it's nice and convenient to have any sort of instant messaging.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Paschale

I'm partial to Yahoo, but they all work just fine I think.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

crtreedude

One thing that is pretty nice is GAIM. It is client for the instant messengers so you can have them all in one client. Without the advertizing!

From the About screen:

Gaim is a modular messaging client capable of using AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, Jabber, ICQ, IRC, SILC, Novell GroupWise, Napster, Zephyr, and Gadu-Gadu all at once.  It is written using Gtk+ and is licensed under the GPL.

URL: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
So, how did I end up here anyway?

farmerdoug

My friends use AIM and they are not members.  I would check again.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

crtreedude

Just checked http://www.aim.com/ The Screen Name is free.

And so is the AIM client.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

if you get Yahoo instant messanger and go buy one of them cheap little microphone and ear things not only can you send instand messages you can do voice and talk instead of typing.   It's like free calls anywhere in the world.  You can start a conference with IM and talk to a bunch of people at the same time too. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jim_Rogers

Well, about AIM being free, it says when you read the "agreement" that you have to "accept" in order to use the program that you have to be a aol user, unless I mis-understood the "agreement".
I selected "disagree" as I didn't want to agree to pay for anything.
I'll look at it again.....
Thanks for all your advice.

Jim Rogers

Radar67

Jim, where are you downloading AIM from? There is a version for non AOL users that is free. You can go to http://www.download.com/AOL-Instant-Messenger-AIM-/3000-2150_4-10316798.html?tag=lst-0-4 and download the correct version.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

jon12345

THERE ARE A LOT OF VIRUSES ON AIM, IF YOU USE AIM AND A LINK IS SENT TO YOU WITHOUT SOMEONE TELLING YOU THEY ARE SENDING IT, DO NOT CLICK ON IT

ALSO AVOID CLICKING ON LINKS IN AIM PROFILES, UNLESS YOU ASK THE OWNER IF IT IS REAL.

A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Jim_Rogers

Radar67:
That wasn't where I was downloading it from.
Thanks for that link.
jon1234:
I understand about those viruses things.
I will be using this with one timber framing friend at a time, so hopefully we don't have any virus problems.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!