iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bow Saw

Started by xlogger, October 26, 2019, 05:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I was down in my shop sharpening chains the other day and moved some things and found my old bow blade that I used years ago. Firewood season is coming soon here and I was thinking it is sure easier to cut up wood on the ground with it over a bar. I had it on old husq 288 and that saw is gone now. I now have a 372xp and was thinking about trying it on that saw. Anyone using one now? I will have to figure out the loops in a chain and make one I guess.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

I ran a husky 61 bow saw built in 1979 for a very long time.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

I've not seen one in decades.

sawguy21

I have seen one but not in use, they seem to have fallen out of favor over safety issues.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

xlogger

It sure saves your back while cutting logs on the ground. But your correct on safety issues. Keep a good grip on the saw. Back in the days when most pulpwood cutters used them there was no chain breaks on saws, I'm sure that helps some with safety.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

mmartone

My Father in law always cut his firewood with an old red Homelite XL with a bow on it. RIP
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom King

When I was growing up, in the '50's and 60's, that was the only kind of chainsaw I ever saw, and the only kind my Dad owned, usually on a giant Poulan, or Homelite.

lxskllr

Did he do felling with a bow? Seems like that would be awkward, especially if you have to wedge it.

Tom King

Yes, but no large trees.  My Uncle had an old saw for stumping big trees, which was rare around here.  It was a two man saw, with a stinger on one end, and two bike handles on the motor end.  

Most of the timber around here was dropped in Colonial times, and had been cut several times since then. 

moodnacreek

Have a 420 Homelite with a simi bow. Used to take off the spur to fell. Also have a modern simi, Still mount. Ran it on a .039 with chisel chain for cutting up tops in fire wood lengths a few years ago. Truth be known a mini saw is so much lighter and I am not young. They are good for stuff on the ground with a strong man and they don't pinch.

Thank You Sponsors!