iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

China 372s

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 03, 2019, 01:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Been sick for a few good days and been scanning the web. I see the G372xp is only $145 plus shipping right now. Seen a lot of interest over the years on these saws but couldn't find any real world long term use reviews. I just paid $50 for a oem 372 muffler and would be curious on these saws being so cheap. If I could run it a year with just minor fixing then part it out it would be worth trying I would think. So does anyone have long term use on one? Not big bore kits or anything. Just buy the complete saw and run it.

Firewoodjoe

Well I just looked at the same page again and it says $248 and out of stock!

wiam

I saw one on the repair shelf at my local shop. He told me he has a few loggers that use them in the woods every day and have gone about a year so far. Minimal maintenance. 

Old Greenhorn

These have been discussed at length here on the forums and @weimedog has posted on these quite a few times and has a few videos on the saws.
Here is one thread: http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=105920.0
Here's another: http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=104266.msg1625842#msg1625842
II am sure you can find more. I bought a 372XP clone in April and besides the stop switch failing, it is working well so far.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Firewoodjoe

Wiam that's interesting other loggers are using them! Not just home owners. Greenhorn thanks and I have read those. All sounds ok. I understand u get what u pay for. Thanks.

Andyshine77

The consensus is, if you don't constantly want to be replacing small parts, don't bother. The 372 version is know to have weak cranks. These are for guys to play around with, not real work. Walt has them running pretty good, but he had to figure out what worked and what didn't, and he replaced what didn't with OEM. Now replacing a part like the muffler can with an aftermarket part can be a viable option, no moving parts, so if it fits you'll get at least some life out of the part.

That said buying a whole saw no not worth it if you nerd a reliable tool. It's for hobbyist.
Andre.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah I bought dad a oem old style 372 from the dealer for 400. It still blew up in one year but dad just cleaned it up and through rings in it. Still running after 4-5 years. Mostly I'm curious. I have lots of saws old and new. I run 390s and 372s daily. Same old same old. Run my old 371 and it's a fun day. Always looking for "something" to make work fun 😂

Andyshine77

If you're just looking to play around with one, go for it! I was just saying nobody should expect these saws to be workhorses.✌
Andre.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah I bought dad a old style 372 from the local dealer for $400. Needed rings the first year but still going after 4-5 years. I run 390s and 372s daily. Same old stuff day after day. Run my 371 and it's a fun day.  Mostly curious and always looking for something fun to work.

Puffergas

I had a few China clone chain saws. Engines mostly ran good and started very good but a bit less power. The thing that I could not put up with was that none of the oilers worked correctly. I gave up totally on them and bought a 562xp, like a breath of fresh air.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

weimedog

None of the ones I have/had stayed all as they were delivered. AND a derivative of the subject, some of the AM parts can give the used up OEM saws extra life.....and in some cases save folks a bunch of money. ie. Cases for 372's with bad bearing pockets....built back to OE makes for a good saw as much of the OEM parts can still be used. I guess the concept of simply a AM 372 as delivered...not a fan. But as a starting point to build into something better....a workable plan. But not every one has time interest skills and patience to play that game. Why OEM with dealer support is still the best option for most. Guess this is one of those subjects that the definition of "win" completely depends on the perspective.... 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

philipxxx

Would it be fair to say  to improve  these  372 saws.  clones.   if   a crank/ and new main bearings  / and  and oiler /  from a real husky or non Chinese  parts. outlet/
I great saw cauld be built. :o

weimedog

Quote from: philipxxx on November 05, 2019, 02:56:00 AM
Would it be fair to say  to improve  these  372 saws.  clones.   if   a crank/ and new main bearings  / and  and oiler /  from a real husky or non Chinese  parts. outlet/
I great saw cauld be built. :o
Actually the bearings are fine. Seals ok as well. Oil pump/worm gear, better carb would make a huge difference in those. Have to say the least expensive version they sell, the g372 is like $210 delivered including shipping. Then add the cost of a carb and oiler. If you go into splitting a crankcase to swap out a crank, maybe another approach makes sense as now you add the cost of the crank, time, and tools to the concept. IF you are leaning that swap a crank direction, For me a dead OEM X-torq is the best starting point....then AM cases if the PTO side bearing pocket is beat open. An Original edition style Hyway or OEM top end and intake boot blended with the XT's carb and "gutted" filter holder. And using the OEM XT crank in those AM cases. Ends up being a pretty solid saw. Both solutions end up around $300 plus an additional amount for crank, case splitting and assembly tools if you go that route. Both solutions create workable saws, only the dead XT approach is mostly OEM and the details benefit. BUT requires skills...starting from the AM saw is cleaner....and you can bolt on stuff to improve. SO either or. Both cut wood. Both are "hobby" approaches and fun is part of the equation to skew it towards logical...:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!