iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry Mowing!

Started by QwikDraw, April 03, 2017, 10:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QwikDraw

Wet weather has me cruising the forum for the first time in a while.  Still a lot of good info here and I always enjoy the pictures. Here's a few from our equipment from the last year for you to check out. I prefer to mow but also do whole tree clearing, about 95% of our work is wildlife habitat.  We work all through New England and have been down to New Jersey too.  We would travel anywhere for the right project though.

Skip

mf40diesel

Amazing high def pictures!  Fantastic machines too.  I guy I work with is wanting badly to buy a smaller skid steer sized unit with one of those mulcher heads.  He believes where he is in north Florida there would be a great market for one.

I'd really love to see your operation sometime first hand.  Bet at the end of the day the fuel burned is pretty sizeable!
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

QwikDraw

Thanks Men.

Diesel bill gets a little steep but if you're burning fuel you should be making money.

A couple winters back.

field restoration.

A nice landing from a 28 acre clear cut.

nativewolf

You know there is a 250 coming up for auction here shortly.   Let me know if you need to pass along the 175. 

For those who don't know he's running the top of the top of the line mulcher with that cmi.  Great equipment...top dollar though.
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

WOW!!!! Them things must ground up rocks too.   :D  I don't see any. Are you sure that was NE??  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ETHURSTON

Great pictures!!! what kind of camera did you use to take them? Are the wildlife jobs through government programs or for hunting clubs?

lshobie

Looks amazing, I'm wondering how that affects regrowth....if there were small trees already started growing and then you mow them down then doesnt that slow down the regen?  Were there now some smaller trees that were good?  From a thinning perspective that land has really been opened up so will it grow up in scrub? 

Not criticising...just wondering if it is effective economically from a management point of view..ie/ costs to mulch that up vs letting it go. 
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

QwikDraw

Most of our projects are funded by grants, that includes hunting clubs.  We do a lot of work on state projects also. We cut areas that will be left to come back naturally for "early successional'" habitat.  They want the scrubby brush with X amount of stems per acre.  After 8-10 years they they become to mature (not enough cover) and are ready to be mowed again. For some hunting clubs we mow 1/3 of there brushy areas ever year so they have a mix of age classes with nothing over 3 years old.

I take picture on my IPhone but some of the really good ones were take professionally by a friend. We have a few manufacturers that use our pictures for advertising.

QwikDraw

The first picture up top of the Barko was an area thinned for fuels reduction and prepared for future prescribed burning (Also wildlife habitat). This was south east MA. They also are trying to slow the southern pine beetle which was found in the area. So a few targets with the same method.

Thank You Sponsors!