iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for a great deal

Started by jargo432, March 21, 2014, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

If you were looking for a great deal on a used quality chainsaw where would you look?
Jack of all trades.

celliott

Craigslist. Or other local classifieds. Better than ebay because you can physically check it out first.
And definitely do look them over real well.
Sometimes the best deals are saws that are "broken" and might only need something simple and cheap. Sometimes they don't though  ::)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

weimedog

Quote from: jargo432 on March 21, 2014, 10:29:13 PM
If you were looking for a great deal on a used quality chainsaw where would you look?

Any place where you can find a clean 372xp for around $400 to $450 clams.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

I've seen a really nice Stihl 460 come out of a pawn shop for $250 but most times they want $250 for a wildthing.   .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Good deals are where you find them .Also what you might consider a "good deal " to be .

My experiance with pawn shops are you'd just as well attempt to deal with PT Barnum .

bandmiller2

Its worthwile to try arborests and tree service co's they almost always have a lots of pro saws under the bench that need work many of these co's don't have a good mechanic and just buy a new saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I've mentioned several times on several forums the best deals I've found is either on forums or in dealers dead piles .

Then again up pops a question and you have no idea what the mechanical abilities of the OP are .One can assume certain things such as refering to the bar as a "blade " they don't know much though .

So in a way it's kind of a mystery exactly what a person is looking for .Could be a "wild thing " to trim the apple tree in the back yard or a clean Stihl model 066

Knute

I would go the a dealer who sells new and used saws and has a good service person. The last used saw  I bought they told me if anything goes wrong in the first 30 days labor was free if I paid for the parts.

mad murdock

Dealers bone piles for sure. I have scored several nice 10 series Macs that way, 10-15 bucks a piece. I have also scored several "freebies" just by asking all I know if they had any dead saws in the shed taking up space that I could take off their hands.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Al_Smith

You would not believe the amount of good running saws I've saved from a Stihl dealers dead pile,all Stihls .All pro models too,no clam shells for old Al .I normaly go dumpster diving through his pile about 4 times a year . Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus . 8)

Thank You Sponsors!