iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh SNAP

Started by Okrafarmer, February 23, 2012, 09:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Riggs

whoa....Whoa....WHOA!!!

Hope everybody and everything is ok.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Migal

Boy I hate that when "That" happen,s  :-[
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

beenthere

Must be a story behind that ??

Big DanG
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Somehow I don't think "snap" would've been my word of choice in that particular situation  ;) .  Looks like a typical day playing in the mud and the feedyards around here, glad to see the mill wasn't along that wall.

Okrafarmer

Well, basically, I was doing a no-no, which is usually the case when bad things happen. I was towing a vehicle in a confined space without a helper.  :-X

I got the dump truck stuck there by the building, and was using a bulldozer to pull it out. I was trying not to damage the DT bumper,  :-\ so I hooked onto the frame instead, and I should have known better, but I hooked it in a way that unfortunately allowed it to slip off. So the truck was driverless as it rolled back into the shop building.  >:( 

As you can see, it knocked our shelving unit over and spilled tools, junk, and oil  :o all over some lumber I had air drying there. And the really really sad thing is-- I was planning to move that lumber later in the day.  ::)  It got a small spot of oil on my nice big 3-inch ambrosia maple slab, and a few other pieces that are not nearly as important.

The biggest problem is fixing the wall. You can see this is a quonset type structure. I don't know what the normal way is, but these steel wall pieces are firmly anchored right into the concrete slab.  >:(  Anybody know where I can get replacement panels, and also what to do about replacing these panels even though they are anchored in the concrete?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sandhills on February 24, 2012, 12:17:43 AM
Somehow I don't think "snap" would've been my word of choice in that particular situation  ;) .  Looks like a typical day playing in the mud and the feedyards around here, glad to see the mill wasn't along that wall.

A. Nobody was around but me when it happened, so I didn't feel it necessary to say anything....  ;D

B. Oh come on, everybody knows feedlots are built on flat ground, you shouldn't have this kind of problem!

C. The mill is outside!  smiley_thumbsup

scsmith42

Quote from: Okrafarmer on February 24, 2012, 12:38:48 AM
Anybody know where I can get replacement panels, and also what to do about replacing these panels even though they are anchored in the concrete?  ???

That appears to be a Steelmaster building; here is a link to their site:

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/

As far as replacing them at the bottom, two choices come to mind.  First, chip out the concrete around the panel(s) that need removing, and cut the old one out 4" or so deep into the concrete.  Cut the new one to fit and backfill with some type of concrete patch material.

Or - cut the old panel off a foot or so above the concrete, and splice the new one over the top of it, screwing the two together.

Third choice is to cut the old panel off a foot or so above frade, and butt-seam the new panel to it.  Screw on a splice plate that connects the two.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Wow, there was some weight or momentum behind that truck when it made that dent.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

paul case

I poked a little hole in my quonset hut with the spear on the FEL on my tractor. it was a bad deal but nothing like yours.
At least no one can say'' why did you back into the barn?''
They can't say you couldnt hit the broad side of barn!
My dad would say you need to clean the stuff out of the middle and back into the wall from the inside.   
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WANTED: TRUCK DRIVER

MUST BE SOBER AND ABLE TO USE SIDE MIRRORS

PLEASE CALL: 555-5197 ASK FOR OKRAFARMER
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 24, 2012, 04:52:25 AM

That appears to be a Steelmaster building; here is a link to their site:

http://www.steelmasterusa.com/

As far as replacing them at the bottom, two choices come to mind.  First, chip out the concrete around the panel(s) that need removing, and cut the old one out 4" or so deep into the concrete.  Cut the new one to fit and backfill with some type of concrete patch material.

Or - cut the old panel off a foot or so above the concrete, and splice the new one over the top of it, screwing the two together.

Third choice is to cut the old panel off a foot or so above frade, and butt-seam the new panel to it.  Screw on a splice plate that connects the two.

Thanks. I think the first option is the one we will end up having to do, since even the lower parts of the panels are mutilated.

Left Coast Chris

Just for the heck of it I would suggest calling your homeowners insurance company.    I had a large cotttonwood that needed to come down next to a very old barn in need of repair.  My Chainsaw was only 24" and I did not want to place myself between the barn in the tree at the end of the back cut which left a thicker hinge towards the barn side.  The tree came down and rotated in mid air due the the uneven hinge.  In the rotation a large branch exploded the corner of the barn.   I called the insurance and told them I did it and they said they would come out and look at it.   Adjuster came out and cut a $1200 check.  I repaired it myself for $200.    Calling the insurance company just to check may be worth a try.    You may be able to have the repair done by a contractor.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Heck the neighbors had a barn rotting and unkept and one corner fell in. The  covered the repair work. I can't figure that out, but this bunch could find gold in coal.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Left Coast Chris

Strange the word "insurance" is missing from my and SD's posts.  Is there a poltergist at work??   :) ???
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Left Coast Chris

i*n*s*u*r*a*n*c*e

Lets see if that will appear......

beenthere

Yooper night?  insuranc e may be a dirty word. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

ha ha ha, it is to me. Insurance is a dirty word.

LAZERDAN

This looks like the perfect time to install a side entry door !

Okrafarmer

mrcaptainbob

Maybe the company would have repair suggestions.....

Woodchuck53

I would think cut off a foot above grade and drill and bolt the new panel or rib over it with some good caulking. Saves messing up the concrete and trying to keep the patch cracks from filling with water and freezing. Just a thought.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Okrafarmer

We talked to the company. Looks like about $1200 for materials.  :'(

SwampDonkey

Better get selling lumber. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!