iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6.4 F350

Started by MartyParsons, April 13, 2012, 11:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello,
Anyone have experience with a 6.4 Power Stroke 2008. I purchase the truck as a theft recovery so no warranty that I am aware of. I also have a DPF delete for better fuel mileage. It was 8 mpg now it is up around 15 loaded and 17+ empty.
I replace the radiator at 45,000 miles and now we are at 66,000. I have had it about 1 year. It has always had a antifreeze smell? Last week I thought hey no more smell, so I checked the coolant tank ( degass bottle) and it was down a little, so I added about 1 qt. I loaded it and headed East on a 600 mile trip. I pulled the mountain and smelled antifreeze. I checked it and the bottle was full with small bubbles. I went anyway, no problems kept checking along the way,coolant temps were normal oil temps about 3 higher, good. Few bubbles and the level never went back up.
Anyone have any info on where I may look?
The truck really works great!
Thanks,
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Heater coil under the dash. Worth a try. Try checking it. I had a truck with a small hole and I mean pin hole small in the heater coil. It was so small, the carpet soaked it up when it leaked.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

js2743

I agree check the heater coil and the lines going to it. If your smelling it inside the cab there's a good chance that is where its leaking.

snowstorm

do you smell it inside the cab? under the hood? exhaust? egr coolers will cause a lot of trouble. i have 2 ..6.0's... coolers on bolth started leaking in the 60k mileage range. it can also lead the head gasket troubles. bubbles in the coolant often times mean compression in the coolant .....bad head gasket ect

snowstorm

warrantry is 5 yrs 100k on motor. any ford dealer can take the vin# run an oaisas report. that is a history of all repairs . find a tech that is really good with that 6.4 and get it fixed right. shadetree repairs on these motors will come back an bite you big time. the dpf is gone if the egr is still there i would delete it also and no hotrod tuners

Polly

probly head gasket , i have had 3 of them at different times 8)

Thank You Sponsors!