Sponsors:

Unusual Festival

Started by b dukes, April 17, 2012, 09:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b dukes

This is proof they can make a festival about anything.,

WDH

Grunting for worms actually works.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

b dukes

I have never done it , but when I was a kid I remember watching my grandfather. 

thecfarm

Pretty soon there will be a grits festival.  ;D
I know there is all ready is one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

There is one in Warwick, GA, and I assume that are many more of them  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 17, 2012, 10:08:33 PM
Grunting for worms actually works.

Oh come on.....if you're in the woods grunting, you're not looking for worms.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sandhills

I've heard of using electricity but never grunting, so who makes the grunt calls  :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: sandhills on April 18, 2012, 02:50:34 PM
I've heard of using electricity but never grunting, so who makes the grunt calls  :D

You drive a wooden stake into the ground and then use another piece of wood to rub across the head of the stake to make it vibrate which produces the grunting sound much like a fiddle bow drawn across the strings make the sounds of the fiddle. The vibrations of the stake in the ground causes the earthworms to come to the surface...

There's an art to it but it works. I remember going with my Grandpa to pick up the worms when he grunted them before we went fishing...

Herb

Raider Bill

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on April 18, 2012, 04:24:31 PM

You drive a wooden stake into the ground and then use another piece of wood to rub across the head of the stake to make it vibrate which produces the grunting sound much like a fiddle bow drawn across the strings make the sounds of the fiddle. The vibrations of the stake in the ground causes the earthworms to come to the surface...

There's an art to it but it works. I remember going with my Grandpa to pick up the worms when he grunted them before we went fishing...

Herb

HAHAHA!!!! :D :D :D :D I'm sitting here thinking you bend down and make some kind of grunting noise at the dirt... :D :D :D I'm a idiot ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Woodwalker

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 18, 2012, 06:45:42 PM

Herb

HAHAHA!!!! :D :D :D :D I'm sitting here thinking you bend down and make some kind of grunting noise at the dirt... :D :D :D I'm a idiot ;D
Quote from: Raider Bill on April 18, 2012, 06:45:42 PM

Herb

You weren't the only one that had that thought.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

sandhills

I was being a little sarcastic with the grunt call thing, I believe it does work and I'd love to see it done.  Heck some of the best times I had in junior high were "hunting" nightcrawlers when the city was watering the park, I figure if I live long enough I can re-inact the scene from "Grumpier Old Men"  :)

beenthere

I've known about it, and had something similar work for my neighbor and I. We'd either sink a wood post in the ground (pound it in or with a post auger) and then move it back and forth to cause pressure. The nightcrawlers would stand right up to get out of the ground. Was amazing.

Here is a video (and there are others) of the small post and the steel bar used to make the ground vibrate around the stick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-Oo7NwPiQ
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2012, 12:07:53 AM
I've known about it, and had something similar work for my neighbor and I. We'd either sink a wood post in the ground (pound it in or with a post auger) and then move it back and forth to cause pressure. The nightcrawlers would stand right up to get out of the ground. Was amazing.

I knew you was an old worm grunter from waaaay back!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2012, 12:07:53 AM

Here is a video (and there are others) of the small post and the steel bar used to make the ground vibrate around the stick.

Thanks for the video......I'd never believed it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Woodwalker on April 18, 2012, 11:25:24 PM
You weren't the only one that had that thought.

+1 more!

I have never heard of this before.  :o

doctorb

As a kid I mixed some powdered mustard with water to get them to come out.  I would walk over our front yard, feel for the uneven mounds of dirt, and push off the top of the mound.  I would place a straw into the mixture, put my finger over the end of the straw, and place the end of the straw into the visible hole that was under each mound.  Lift up your finger, the mustard water ran down into the hole, and a beautiful night crawler would wriggle right out!  Worked really well.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Raider Bill

We used bleach or electronic rods made from welding sticks and a extension cord with whittled wood handles. Remember getting tickled more than once. ;)

WDH

I just dug them up, a low production method, kinda like sawing on a manual mill  :).

thecfarm

WDH,that's how I do it too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

We were kids and didn't know better.

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on April 20, 2012, 07:00:01 AM
WDH,that's how I do it too.

What, saw on a manual mill  ???  :D :D :D.

metalspinner

I had a worm garden - a plywood box about 3 x 4 feet and 6 or 8 inches high. Fill it with good compost then throw some worms in.  It kept me fishing everyday after school and all summer. :)

Mike Rowe has an episode of Dirty Jobs with the worm gruntin' guys.  It's pretty funny... :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!