iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BUZZARD PROBLEM

Started by Bogue Chitto, April 20, 2012, 03:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogue Chitto

We have a buzzard problem at our local school.  Does anyone know how to keep them away.  They roost on top of the football field score board, lights, bleachers  and press box.  We cannot shoot them because it is in the town limits and also I think it is illegal to kill them.  There is probably over 200 buzzards  on the school property. 

beenthere

Bogue
Instruct the football team that it is time to start moving faster. ;)

"Cannot shoot them" is the root of the problem. Take but one or two killed to get the message that the scoreboard isn't safe anymore. But then, we allow our "protectionists" to "rule the roost" - so to speak, and thus we continue to "shoot ourselves in the foot" - so to speak.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Quote from: beenthere on April 20, 2012, 04:15:00 PM
Bogue
Instruct the football team that it is time to start moving faster. ;)

:D :D :D 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bogue Chitto

The thing is that they are not there during practice.  They are there in the morning. During the day they go out and eat the road kill and dead animals then come back a puke it up all over the place.

Jeff

An array of motion light sensors attached to a a very load recording of your school band?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bogue Chitto

Jeff that might work, but the neighbors  might complain.   ::)

Bogue Chitto

They are quite brave also.  One early morning we were running drills around small cones.  The buzzards would swoop down and fly off with the cones.  :-\

Jeff

Perhaps come up with something that would make an unstable perch, like a layer of chicken wire spaced a couple inches above the areas where they perch.

Jeff

Call these guys in.  They may be duck guys, but they love football and they are in the area. They would come up with a creative solution and you might get on T.V.

http://www.aetv.com/duck-dynasty/

Chuck White

Cover the top with a thin piece of metal or plastic with a series of pressure sensitive switches underneith the plate!

Set the switches to just about the weight of a buzzard and have the switches hooked up to a radio, siren, etc!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bogue Chitto

I will try to get a picture one morning.  It is quite eerie.  I wonder if we could get a permit from the gooberment  :D to shoot.

Bogue Chitto

Quote from: Chuck White on April 20, 2012, 06:24:10 PM
Cover the top with a thin piece of metal or plastic with a series of pressure sensitive switches underneith the plate!

Set the switches to just about the weight of a buzzard and have the switches hooked up to a radio, siren, etc!
Connect 110 volts to the metal.   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Grand-Dad would shoot one and then hang it up somewhere close to where the Buzzards are roosting. The Buzzards would not come around the dead one.

or

Have the school change their mascot to the "FIGHTING BUZZARDS". They'd put them on ESPN then.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bogue Chitto

I thought about doing that also Postion.  I know crows will do that.

Jeff

Bogue Chitto

I just realized,  buzzard heads look like turkeys.  :D

caveman

If possible, run several pieces of monofilament line at various angles and heights (pull it tight).  This should make it troublesome for them to easily navigate to the score board.  I see folks do this around their docks and pools near the coast to keep gulls and pelicans off of their stuff. You might also try to line the top of the score board with some sharp pieces of wire or small nails facing upright and spaced close enough together to cause them discomfort.
Caveman

Ianab

QuoteYou might also try to line the top of the score board with some sharp pieces of wire or small nails facing upright and spaced close enough together to cause them discomfort.

That's what they do around the local airports to reduce the numbers of bird strikes.

Like this.

Not exactly little nails, more like foot long stainless steel spikes... But no birds sitting on the street lights.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SPIKER

I would try feeding them lots of woodchucks (AKA ground hogs) and use of a 10/22 turns them into "Ground Chuck" 8) ::) just perfect for feeding buzzards. :-X :)   I have a good number of well fed buzzards with fresh "Ground Chuck" they dont Ralf all over tastes too good for em to waste I guess :-X  :D :o

I have high voltage across my place the towers are regular roosts for them.   in AM they set up on top and hold wings apart getting warmed up in spring morning sun.   Kind of a site with 4 or 5 of them wings all spread wide facing the morning sun!

Like others showed some bent "V" rods 4~8" long on top I suggest S.S. or Aluminum that shine and they wont land.  otherwise stop feeding them road kill it upsets their pallet
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

WildDog

http://www.globeaustralia.com.au/pest/products/bird_control_miscellaneous.htm

Last week I was doing a pest control course and these guys came to give us a rundown on their bird control products, netting was a very versatile product.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

bugdust

Quote from: Bogue Chitto on April 20, 2012, 06:43:28 PM
I just realized,  buzzard heads look like turkeys.  :D

That's why we call them "Turkey Buzzards" around here. The past couple years they began roosting on the local radio tower. The tower is back on the hill so they're no problem. The problem is they are protected by DNR.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Woodwalker

The electric utility I work for had the same problem with the things roosting and perching on a microwave tower at one of our substations inside the city limits. There were so  many of the things there for so long it got just plain nasty. Droppings, dead buzzards, they would get into the busswork, electrocute them selves, causes outages. There were literately hundreds of the things there perched on the tower, on top of the microwave hut, on the ground in the station. I don't know the details, but it took special permission from the City and I think Parks and Wildlife to use a propane cannon. Within a couple of days of firing the cannon on a limited basis, they were gone. It's been a year or better and they haven't returned.   
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Ianab

QuoteWithin a couple of days of firing the cannon on a limited basis, they were gone. It's been a year or better and they haven't returned.   

Probably moved down the road to the school where it's more peaceful...  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Just remembered!  :o

There is a high tower in a neighboring town here, and a few years ago they installed white strobe lights, and at dusk the lights would switch from red flashing to the white strobes, then vice versa in the morning.

Well it seems the buzzards that had always roosted on the tower do not like the white strobe lights because they haven't roosted on the tower since the lights were changed!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I would just run some fence wire along the top and hook it to a fence shocker,zap them vermin and they will leave. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!