iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the "cool" logs in Texas

Started by stumpy, January 19, 2013, 11:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I'm visiting my son who lives in Plano, Texas(near Dallas). I was thinking of taking my trailer along ad bringing back some logs that we don't have up here in Wisconsin.  I build Live edge custom furniture.  What are some woods that I should have him look for.  I especially like woods with character (crotches mainly)
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

buzzegray

Good idea. You're going anyway, why not drag a trailer. It should be fun to try another type of wood. I'll remember that idea next time I take the burb on a trip. The mileage doesn't seem to change if there is a trailer on the back,  full or empty. Thanks for the idea.

4speed

Mesquite? I use it to smoke my briskets. I've heard it is hard to work with, but it is beautiful wood.

Texas Ranger

Pretty much what you have in Wisconsin, as far as hardwoods, the southern pines are different.  Mesquite is probably not in abundance in Plano, more a westerly species.  Nothing comes to mind as far as outstanding species, kind of a treasure hunting situation.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

okmulch

Might look for some ash juniper. I know we have run into it in south Oklahoma. It is a twisty, gnarly wood.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

pineywoods

Cypress, persimon, sweetgum, black gum, honey locust, pecan, eastern red cedar, and a big chunk of good ole southern yellow pine, preferably a knotty lightered loblolly. ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jay C. White Cloud

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

LeeB

Cedar elm, hackberry, mountain juniper, pecan,live oak if you want to torment your self.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

1woodguy

As large as Texas is and the change from one area to another got to be tons of great logs and if we include the nonnatives  who knows
I would love to have a sample of each and every one.
  :)
  Be sure to get a big ol Pecan the state tree
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Sawmill Man

Don't forget osage orange, Wisconsin might not have much of that.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

stumpy

OK, Thanks for all the suggestions.  Now, does anyone have any contacts down there where I could get a few logs?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

j-dland

Got my eye on some pin oak crotches in the river bottom by my house.Cut this from some firewood that was in the way of acsess to em   

David

j-dland

Sorry didn't finish that post,any way theres a coupla pin oaks with crotches just waitin to be got ,not good live edge tho cause been layin since Rita.Big tho.You make it to south east Texas 6 Hours south of Plano,might take you on a little adventure.Got quite a bit of ERC character wood layin around the yard.Been tryin to shake up the market in live edge and character around here.Dimensional just gets so boring .If interested let me know.Know its out of your way ,I recon adventures are priceless.

Just a taste of live edge character cedar
David

Thank You Sponsors!