iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any leads for SMALL cabin plans?

Started by KiwiCharlie, June 15, 2006, 03:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCharlie

Hi Guys,
Im searching for plans for a post and beam type cabin, and am happy to be bolting beams together, rather than the traditional jointing etc.  Ideally, Im looking for a ground floor size of around 12x18' plus a sleeping loft.  There seems to be lots of plans for larger floorplans, but a bit of a lack of the small ones.  Anyone have any ideas, contacts or leads?
Thanks,
Charlie.  :)
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

asy

Hey Charlie,

Here are a few that I've come across:

http://www.cabinkit.com/cabin1.htm

http://www.abetterplan.com/cabinplans.html

http://www.countryplans.com/

http://www.townandcountryplans.com/

Also, someone posted a link to some a while back, but I couldn't find it by searching... 

hope these help.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Raphael

Jack Sobon's first book (w/Roger Schroeder), "Timber Frame Construction" leads you through cutting a 12' x16' (1/2 lofted) garden toolshed that can be resized to 12' x 18' without changing timber sizes (width & depth).  It's still in print and pretty much a must have resource for the begining timber framer.  You can get a copy for $19.95 through the Timber Framers Guild webstore: http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/timframcon.html
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

KiwiCharlie

Hi asy,
Thanks for the links.  Its quite hard to find small scale plans these days, I guess the demand from the public is still for large houses.
Cheers
Charlie.

KiwiCharlie

Hi Raphael,
Nice looking book that.  Thanks for the lead.  Ive now got a copy ordered.
That 12x18 shed sound like just what Im looking for!
Cheers
Charlie.

KiwiCharlie

Hey Raphael,
Youve got me to looking at the books around on the net!  Have you seen the book 'Timber Framing For the Rest of Us' by Rob Roy?
Looks like he goes into detail on more modern types of joints, ie bolts I guess!
Also found this site, and I like the look of the 'Little Balsam' cabin - right on the size Im looking at.
Little Balsam Cabin
Thanks for your input.
Cheers
Charlie.  :)

Raphael

That 'Little Balsam' is a nice looking design but it is totally engineered for SIPs.  Not a problem if you are planning on going that way but there's not a lot of simple options when sheathing over 4'+ OC purlins.  It'd be simple enough to add purlins and perhaps another girt to their design, in fact their plans may cover changes for different enclosure methods.
  There was another little cottage I came across on the internet that could be purchased as plans, plans and timbers/lumber, or an entire precut kit (including windows I think).  I'm still searching for the URL but as I recall the plans were a bit pricey and nearly identical to the garden shed in Jack's first book (add a porch to the shed and you've got the same design).

I haven't read 'Timber Framing For the Rest of Us' but I've read similiar books.  We've got dozens of books on different approaches to home building purchased when we first started designing our house.
  In the end the traditional square rule approach made the most sense for me, I have more time than money and almost no assistance I don't pay for (especially when the days were shorter).  I started with Jack Sobon's hall and parlor design from his second book "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House" and added complementary additions of my own design.  Not as easy as buying full plans w/ shop drawings etc. but I learned a good deal more in the process.

I think you'll like the design in Jack's book, it's pretty basic but when it's time to lay out and cut joinery basic is good.  ;)
... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

Max sawdust

Charlie,
The Sobon  book you are getting is good.  I feel Tedd Benson's "Building the Timber Frame House/Revival of a forgotten craft"  is a good compliment to it.  It has more detail on cutting joints and making templates, along with some good engineering basics to make you feel more comfortable with making changes to a design.  The third book I would recommend if you are going to build a traditional TF cabin is Steve Chappell's "Timber Framers Workshop".  Very good book with lots of details.  This book gives you a different perspective than the other two.  Lots of tables and useful data in it, and for me it was the easiest writing style for me to understand.
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Raphael

Add Jack's second book "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House" and the "The Timber Frame Joinery and Design Workbook, vol.1" (a publication of the Timber Framers Guild) to Max sawdust's list and you've got every book I used during the final design and cutting of my frame.  Between the information in these five books and the photograph at Goshen Timber Frames you could cut that 'Little Balsam' cabin without ordering the plans...
  I didn't use Benson's template approach but between him and Chappell (and my engineer) I got the information I needed for choosing, sizing and proportioning dovetail and other tension joints that aren't specifically covered in Jack's first two books.  Having multiple sources of information will increase the number of different joints and joinery options your have access to.  The Timber Framers Guild site is another invaluable resource.

... he was middle aged,
--Godley & Creme

KiwiCharlie

Hey thanks guys for the replies and good info, it really does help me out - a lot!
One thing I know, is Ive got a lot to learn, but Im sure its do-able.
Thanks again, I appreciate the help.
Charlie.

Snag

Charlie mentioned the book by Rob Roy....  Has anyone been to any of his training classes/schools?  His home/school is only 1.5 hrs from my house and I have been thinking of taking a class.  Any input/feedback?

UNCLEBUCK

Best plans I ever made was to go to the spot where I was going to build and take a stick and draw a line in the sand and see how it actually looked for size but that wasnt for timber framed . Either way a old set of lincoln logs can even give a good idea . I suppose some folks have to worry about having signed plans for local inspectors and such .

I suppose its kind of fun to follow a nice plan but you could probably draw yourself up a nice set KiwiCharlie and really let the imagination run wild , atleast its kind of exciting to add little touches here and there .  Have a good time with your project ahead
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!