iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame Models

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 01, 2006, 03:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I don't have a lot of time today to write up a proper "how to" story.
I'd like to do one and show step by step procedures of how to do this and maybe I will sometime in the future.

But for now I've just created a Timber Frame Model Gallery in my gallerys and I have posted a few pictures there. These are only a few of some that I have.

We were taught how to do a simple timber frame model at Heartwood school when I was there taking an engineering course.

Once you have drawn the floor plan you know where the posts will be, and where the floor joists will be in the case of the second floor plan.

Using these plans you can easily cut the pieces of balsa wood to length. And once they are cut to length you can hot glue them together.
We did this by doing two bents; laying them flat on the plan directly over the bent drawing. Be careful not to let the hot glue stick the wood to the paper.
Then once the bents are done you stand them up and glue the connecting girts between the bents. And the plates over the posts if your frame design has continuous plates. Then add the common rafters.

You can see my photos in my gallery, here is a link: Click here for link to "my gallery" of timber frame models

The first picture is of a bunch of models that were built by former students at Heartwood.

I don't remember the scale of the model we did but it could be something like 1/4" is equal to one foot. I'll have to check the drawing I have here and see if that's it or not.

One of the pictures shows a larger model at a nearby timber framer's shop.
He is designing this frame and will cut it once the design process is done and the frame contract is signed.
This frame is at a scale of 1" = 1' so an 8x8 is about 11/16" x 11/16" or so.
The way this model frame is constructed is very similar but he draws the first floor plan on a sheet of plywood; so he know where the bent posts will stand.
He also draws the bent designs on smaller pieces of plywood and then cuts all the stock to size and length in his shop with his table saw and chop saw.
Once all the pieces are cut to size and length; he nails the bents together on top of their drawing on the sheet of plywood. This allows him to use the sheet as a work table and make it easy to align all the small pieces where they should be.

After all the bents are assembled he then stands them up on the floor plan sheet and puts in the connecting girts and plates.

This is a very good exercise to understanding how to assemble the frame you're working on.
You can take notes and write down the order in which timbers will be assembled.
These notes are called a "raising script". You use this script to erect your frame once all the pieces are cut and ready.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

scsmith42

Jim, that's a great idea and some very nice models.

Considering how effort is put into a timber frame, experimenting on all of your "what-if's" in advance via a model makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!