iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood ID references

Started by runmca, June 08, 2017, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmca

I'm starting to collect some trees to mill up and most are either downed on the roadside or already cut to log length. I'm looking for references (books,online) on identifying wood type by end grain or bark. Anyone have 'go to' sources for an inexperienced wood IDer? I'm located in the northeast, thanks

SwampDonkey

It is my personal belief that most of the texts are best used at first try in some kind of course setting because of terminology and inexperience of the novice.

But I think one of the modern ones is by Bruce Hoadley, "Identifying Wood: Accurate results with simple tools - 1990. A lot of us Foresters also used "The Textbook of Wood Technology" - 1980 4th ed. by Panshin (Michigan State - Prof of Forest Pruducts) and De Zeeuw (State University NY - Prof of Wood Products Engineering). I have not seen Hoadley's, but I know there is a wealth of info on North American species in the older text.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

runmca

Thanks SwampDonkey. I just realized there are 2 sticky threads at the top of this category too, oops  :embarassed:

Thank You Sponsors!