iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

use for lawn mower engines?

Started by getoverit, January 17, 2006, 11:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

Quote from: Murf on January 19, 2006, 03:00:22 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to leave the head on, and mount the saw to a big ecentric cam on the crankshaft and let the engine do the work?  ::)

sure if the motor is good and you have a cam. If its a bad motor though what have you got to loose.
remember man that thy are dust.

Weekend_Sawyer

Couldn't you take one that runs and couple it to one that does not run but has decent compression, take thatone's sparkplug out and plumb it to a tank, walla air compressor!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

edsaws

Could make one of these
The pic isn't that good but its my homebrewed mill carraige

getoverit

I had an old snapper 30" riding mower that came from the factory with a 5hp engine. After reviving the engine from certain death several times, it couldnt be rebuilt any more, so I put a 12hp briggs I/C on it. It would pop wheelies in any gear, and pull anything you could hook a rope around, but it never did cut grass worth a hoot again.

I really need a gang saw. After reading your posts about giving the belt a 1/4 turn, I might as well get out my thinking cap and figure out how to turn some of this scrap metal and engines into a gang saw.....

WOW I just realized something !!!!! I have a treadmill thats been sitting here growing dust bunnies.... that thing is beginning to look like a belt feed for the gang saw  ;D  I can even adjust the speed from a crawl to hauling A**.... Y'all are great ! Im getting inspired now !!! :D  Keep the ideas coming !

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Darin

Does anyone know where I can find plans for a tow behind mower? I have the engine and I think I could build one a lot cheaper than buying one. Any words of wisdom from anyone?

Darin

edsaws

metalspinner

getoverit,
I've been wondering about using a treadmill as a large belt sander to flatten one face of a wide board or glue-up then send through my drum sander.  Do you think it has the torque to do the job?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

getoverit

I guess it depends on the treadmill, but all I can tell you is that the one I have is not exactly an expensive one, and it will throw a 250# man to the ground if you dont start walking as soon as it starts moving. I dont see any reason why you couldnt rig it up to be a really big belt sander too.  I dont have a clue where you would find the sand belts though.

I'm just thinking it would be a good feed drive for a gang saw (edger?) and then have 3 blades driven with a 16hp briggs I/C horizontal shaft lawn mower engine. Just lay the boards on the table and let the belt pull it through the saw and out the other side in pieces.

Tom

Here is one of the places that you can get the abrasives.

http://www.klingspor.com/

It may not go fast enough to make a functional sander.

I like the idea of a feeder though.   You could mount it on the bed of a bandsawmill and make a resaw.

I never thought of using old treadmills for their motors and conveyer deck.   Heck!, I must've seen a thousand of them on the side of the road in the trash over the years.

Dangerous_Dan

A vertical shaft engine would be good for building a slabber unit for a peterson or lucas mill.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

getoverit

The slabber sounds like a good idea also. Maybe when My new Peterson gets here I can figure out where to get me a whopper of a chain saw bar cheap and experiment on how to rig up one of those also. I must have at least 7 engines sitting here doing nothing.. it would be good to put them to use :)

jon12345

3M makes belts too, you should be able to custom order them.  The belt sander I used went around 7 fpm.  If the board is really wide or had a lot of glue it will put  lot of strain on the motor.  Wet glue ruins papers and can leave burn marks where the glue was.  If a piece won't go under the head your track will get shredded by glue.  If the track doesn't have enough grip, the pieces won't go in. You also gotta have something to press the piece against the track or it will possibly shoot back out at you.  Paper can also shred, so don't stand in front of the infeed or outfeed after ya change paper as it can fly out at a pretty high velocity. my .02  if ya got any ?'s ask or PM
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

missourihick

I built a welder,similar to the zena setup and it works great. I got the idea from a  picture and story I found online and I copied it and added my own ideas.Remember ,all I had to start with was a --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/album/106492748oodMcE?action=&track_pagetag=/page/photo/homegarden/hobbiesinterests/&track_action=/ViewActions/FullAlbum[/url]]my --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- album[/url]
Heres the place I got the idea from:lightplants site

dave7191

A power stearing pump of a cyrseler product  makes a hydralic pump

ksu_chainsaw

Vertical shaft motors work good for powering log splitters, just have to make a mount for the pump.  They also make good hydraulic power-pacs- for dumping farm wagons or to run belt conveyors.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!