iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paying attention doesn't hurt!!

Started by Carries-Mom, August 04, 2007, 08:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carries-Mom

My hubby had a wonderful day last week...He was going to work when he was hit from behind by an 18 year old girl not paying attention to her driving...needless to say, her truck, a little ford ranger suffered a lot more damage than our beast.  Our damage is roughly $2800.00...Her insurance is paying it.  We were just happy no one was hurt!!!

asy

Paying attention doesn't hurt...

But not paying attention does...

Good to see no-one's hurt, and that the car's still driveable!

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Carries-Mom

It'll be in the shop for a few days, but luckily my hubby has a company truck to drive back and forth to work.... ;D

Jim_Rogers

While towing my camping trailer, with my daughter, going to a weekend girl scout camping trip, I got side swiped by an old lady in a red jeep at a merge from two lanes down to one.
I was in the right hand lane and she was in the left.
Her right hand door mirror hit my drivers door mirror and broke it right off my door.
The old battle axe didn't even stop to give me her address.... she just drove away...
I did get her plate number, and I have filed a police report and an insurance company report.

I went to the local police department in the town where it happened and they gave me some accident report forms and told me that they couldn't tell me who it was who owned the jeep.
The officer told me to file the report with the state and they would handle it.
I just today, got a letter from the state saying that I need to file the report with the local police where it happened.

I have found out who she was through my local insurance agent. I now have her name and address.
And I googled her name and got her phone number.

The insurance company rep called me recently and told me that as I didn't have collision insurance they weren't going to pay for my broken mirror. But they would try and connect the lady and see if she had insurance and if they are going to pay.

If they don't have insurance or her company doesn't pay then I'll have to sue her in small claims court for the $250 to replace my mirror.

And I will do that for sure.......

Jim Rogers 
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I got rear ended by an airhead a "young women" on the highway during the worst snow storm I have ever had to pull a trailer through. I had delivered several horses to an auction barn and it started to blizzard about ten minutes into the ride home. I had made it through a number of tricky off ramps and other obstacles by the time we were on the main highway. Traffic was moving along about 25 miles an hour when I came around a corner and the entire road was blocked, despite having maintained a huge following distance, I was a little too close to the other cars by the time I got the whole rig stopped. The guys who where with me had just commented how calmly I had been navigating (never let'em see you sweat, inside I was a ball of nerves :D) when I heard the sound that could only be someone rear ending us. We got out and there was a small car completely demolished behind the trailer. The car hit and rebounded about ten feet. The airhead young woman was actually in pretty good condition despite the fact that she was doing 50 MPH when she hit us! She had been talking on her airhead communication device cell phone and hadn't realized how slippery it was. ??? For some reason she was holding the phone to hear left ear with her right arm, and when the airbag went off it jammed her arm into her face. Ouch.

Yes, paying attention doesn't hurt at all, while the converse can be very painful.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Onthesauk

And you have to wonder if she learned anything from her experience. ???
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

sawmilllawyer

OntheSaulk, that is probably only wishful thinking. She was probably more upset that her call got dropped.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Warbird

Quote from: Onthesauk on August 04, 2007, 03:31:45 PM
And you have to wonder if she learned anything from her experience. ???

Yup - "Don't hold the cell phone to your left ear with your right hand."  :D

jbeat

On the Ohio Traffic Crash reporting form there many causative factor choices such as failure to control, a.c.d.a., excessive speed, failure to yield etc.etc.. In my 27 yrs. experience, the "driver not paying attention" is the primary cause of most crashes (cept drunks). The result of recent research on impaired drivers is; distractions such as cell phone and other electronic device useage while driving is equivalent to operating under the influence. So, we must pay attention to our own driving and be mindful that others are likely not . Glad all is o.k. C.M.
Be safe all and wear those belts.       
John B

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Thursday and Friday I sawed boards for stalls for a horse barn.  The customer
is a great guy and did have a nice little pickup - well, he still has it, but it is not
as "pristine" shall we say.   Short stubby trailer with a not so secure hitch.  You get
the picture:  Loaded a little to light on the tongue, etc.

We were all glad he was fine after the incident, but the trailer immitated and old Clint
Eastwood flick,  "Any Which Way, but Loose!"

Whether it was not paying attention or was just "one of those things" I don't know,
but I do know that something about it was catching, just a little contagious, since...

I locked my DanGed truck keys up in my truck the next day (today, that is)!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Carries-Mom

Like I said, no one was hurt, but I think her dad was going to be a little upset that it was his truck, but also glad that she was ok.  She even told the police that she wasn't paying any attention.  I'm just grateful hubby was in the dodge.  if he was in a little car or something, things probably would have been a little worse.  I love it when people decide to make a left turn when they are in the far right lane and you are in the fast lane, coming up from behind, and cut you off.  That happened once and we had to slam on the brakes because he stopped right in the middle of both lanes.  Needless to say, we hit the curb and there happened to be two cops sitting on that street.  That guy got a lot of tickets.  The cops were yelling at him and everything.  No damage was done...but this was a few years ago too.... move_it

Quartlow

Accidents suck, As long as no one gets hurt thats what is important. The beginning of winter always seems to be the worst around here. Last November we had a young lady coming up the hill in front of the house lose it. Traveling to fast for conditions. She went across the front yard and into the ditch on the south side of the yard. It's about 5 feet deep right there. Totaled her Ford ranger, she got banged up pretty good but was able to crawl out on her own.

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sawguy21

I was driving a 1 ton crew cab pulling a 35 foot flat deck trailer on the I-5 through Portland OR during evening rush hour. Talk about an experience ::) The VW camper van in front of me moved to the right lane, no signal of course, then moved back halfway...and stopped. All I could hear was horns and tires including mine. I missed the idiot but still don't know if everyone behind me was as lucky.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!