iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finally made some sawdust

Started by L. Wakefield, October 01, 2005, 04:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

OK, OK, so it's been a few years.. I finally had several excuses to fell some trees suitable for sawing- and learned from the time the husband had taken down a cherry and it went to waste.

THIS time, the brother-in-law had bought an LT-15- electric start- and he let me saw on it.

WHHEEOO- that is FUN   8) 8) 8) reminds me of how I felt the first time I home-canned veggies or butchered and put a beef in the freezer- how extraordinarily simple and useful..

Now the husband can have his choice- complain about home Depot boards or cpmplain about MY boards   smiley_furious3 - we have done 3 pine logs and about 3 more to do- but the one I am interested in is an elm log. I looked it up awhile back. Mike thinks it will be horrible but I see online where they do sell it.

So now..those machines don't cost THAT much...

BTW, Jeff, I can't seem to get FF at home. I will try again tonight and also send you a message.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bibbyman

Great going!  Now there's no stopin' you!   ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

dewwood

That sawdust is very addictive :)

Glad you had some fun :)
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Tom

Way to go LW!

I was wondering how long it was going to take you. 

Mike's in trouble now.   I'll bet he hasn't considered how close he is to owning a sawmill.   :D

Paul_H

LW,
I'm glad you finally got a chance to make sawdust,I remember that you had been researching different mills over the past few years.

Good luck 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ernie

Quote from: L. Wakefield on October 01, 2005, 04:40:57 PM

WHHEEOO- that is FUN   8) 8) 8) reminds me of how I felt the first time I home-canned veggies or butchered and put a beef in the freezer- how extraordinarily simple and useful..

There is no cure for the addiction so ENJOY it ;D ;D

Congrats
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Brad_S.

Sawing logs and kissing are a lot alike. After a while you forget individual ones but you never forget the first one. :D

Elm is pretty, but it can be cantankerous with lots of tension wood in it. I say that not to make you worry but rather to reassure you that if the log starts bowing as you saw it, it's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just the nature of the beast.

Happy sawing! 8)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Frank_Pender

Wayt to go, LW.   Welcome back home to the Forum.   Yep, you got the sawing disease, for sure.  Now you have to either con the inlaw out of his mill, or buy one for yourself. :D
Frank Pender

Bibbyman

Where's the pictures?  We need to witness this! :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

Lady Sawyer Linda!  Has a nice ring to it.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

L. Wakefield

Quote from: Tom on October 01, 2005, 07:28:21 PM
Way to go LW!

I was wondering how long it was going to take you. 

Mike's in trouble now.   I'll bet he hasn't considered how close he is to owning a sawmill.   :D

:D :D :D Heh heh..once upon a time there was a man named Mike (henceforth known as mw) and he courted with and finally married a woman named Louise (henceforth known as lw).

Back along during the courtship, lw was helping mw clean up his tools (and enjoying what fine tools they were..) and noticed that many were initialed mw but some were tw etc. So of course she asked, and discovered part of the wakefield family secrets- they all steal (henceforth referred to as 'borrow') each others' tools. And have learned that inscription is a wise course.

When the marriage occurred and the tools of mw and lw were intermingled, lw soon saw that she'd best borrow that engraver to have a bit o protection for the lw tool collection. Reasoning such as 'mw stands for Mrs Wakefield, doesn't it?'- is not accepted by mw

And then the 2 sons of mw and lw came of the age of tool acquisition and scattering. That was when the aforementioned tools of lw went under the bed, with a notice that anyone wanting to borrow a tool would have to make a $5 deposit- bring the tool back, you get yer $ back. The acquisitive tool scattering stopped abruptly (not without a bit o grumbling).

lw has gotten a bit careless these last few years since the son are out on their own (but still come by to borrow a tool now n again)- but if-say-lw were to purchase an LT-15, you may rest assured that 'lw' would be prominently inscribed upon the beast (albeit *not* in orange paint)- and I *don't think it would fit under the bed.

But you may also be assured that mw would likely be as covered with sawdust as anyone. He is egging me on.

And it's only fair- he bought the Kubota- I shall have to offer him some paint to initial it.

Jeff solved my dilemma of how to access the FF from home- it was McAfee's firewall. As soon as I took it down,  FF came up. Thanks, Jeff!  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

beenthere

Lady Sawyer Linda!

Looking for a "Wanda" wanna-be ? ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

LW, AKA Louise.

I've found that a welder will write ones initials fairly permanently on a large surface.  ;D

Love that story.  :D

moosehunter

lw,
One and a half years ago, I bought a Kubota and my bride bought a mill. A great combo. I highly suggest it ;D
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Tom

Unclebuck sawed with his sawmill enough to get himself a mail order bride.  :D

Now, that's a twist. :D :D

Brad_S.

QuoteUnclebuck sawed with his sawmill enough to get himself a mail order bride.

Is that why we haven't heard from him in over a month?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

wiam

Can I be the first with a $5 deposit.  Or will that go up? :D :D

Will

OneWithWood

Well, LW, I tried to throw the hounds off the scent with the 'Lady Sawyer Linda' inscription - kinda worked too  :D

How about just scribing LW + MW in a heart on both the LT-15 and the Kubota? ;)

Besides everyone knows that the LT in LT-15 is short for Louise's Toy. 8)

Cheeze, Louise, sorry about that there brain idling :-[
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

L. Wakefield

I liked the Lady Sawyer Linda- we need one.

It was interesting to watch Mike's thinking shift gears when I mentioned that I'd sawed and was thinking about a mill. Funny- he had been down to help Del (my b-in-law) move logs about, and I'd think he *must* have tried sawing- but it was like watching a a sailboat when the rudder and sail are put hard over (you could almost hear someone say, 'coming about') and he suddenly started talking *very* differently about our trees.His internal calculator actually probably has board feet already figured out- and he is *quite* good with figures. He loves the woods. Hunting season you see him after dark. Pre-hunting season he comes back smelling of maple In fact, the night he perfed a diverticulum and got peritonitis, he'd been chewing twigs. Roughage that was a bit rough- but I don't think that was what did it.  lw

Thank You Sponsors!