Sponsors:

Alaskan mills on sale

Started by twoodward15, October 04, 2005, 07:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

at harbor freight.  A 36 incher is $159 in the latest catalog
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Radar67

Are the Alaskan Mills useful for quartering logs? I looked at them before I got my band, but was leary. What is everyone else's experience with them?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

they're a lot of work, but the get the job done.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

oldsaw

Limited to a 20" throat on a Norwood, so when the big logs come in, the Alaskan gets to bring things down to size.  I'll slab off boards until I can get a cant we can get on the bandmill.  I had to do some work on a 36" walnut for a paying customer, and he went on and on about his walnut all going into sawdust.  I pulled off a slab just shy of 28" with some beautiful grain, and the guy just about soiled himself and couldn't quit talking about what he was going to do with that slab.

If you already have the saw, you are in for less than $300 for the Alaskan, a 42" bar, and two rip chains.  If you want to harvest crotch wood, or need other "interesting" cuts, you've gotta have one in your arsenal.  You really need 100ccs of saw to make it work right, more is "better", but heavier ane more expensive.

I like mine since I don't have a pick-up, and can go to a nice sized log, slab it through, load it, and have it stacked at my house before lunch on a Saturday.  For the "suburban logger" like myself, it's great.  I hang it from the ceiling in the garage by bicycle hooks when I'm not using it (which is all too frequent for me).

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

twoodward15

Hmmmm, I notice that I keep getting swayed to one side.  yesterday morning I thought it'd be a good idea to have one, in the afternoon I talked to the sawyer I buy from and decided against it, now you come along and have me thinking that I need one real bad.  Let's see where this takes me.  I'd sure like to try it.

Dan_Shade

what kind of saw do you have now?

they are brutal for sawing out entire logs, almost wasteful sawing out 1" boards.  they are great for slabbing.  they are also good for breaking down really big logs.  I'm glad I have mine
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

twoodward15

Well, I'm in the middle of shopping for a cheap used one (because I'm cheap) that needs work so I can get it even cheaper.  Besides, I need a winter project and that'll hold me over for a week.  I was looking at an 044 but was told it's too small so now I'm looking for an 066 stihl.  Anyone, anyone???

lamar

Ive got a 36" with 42" titanium bat(stock bar wouldn't hold up) also have oiler and bar is double ended with helper handle. I really don't like anyone on helper handle don't have to bush that hard but like the adjustable bearing. I only use it now when a log wont fit on mill. Does anyone know about thin Nerf chain? I would like to know how much difference it makes. I use a 394 and it works great with a minor mod. I have 2 of these saws and am interested in the feasibility of getting a really long bar with thin Nerf chain and running 2 saws. Ive got a humongous pine with a huge crotch that could go about 6'. would syp big crotch-wood slabs be worth the effort????

Thank You Sponsors!