iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee Anyone?

Started by YellowHammer, January 10, 2016, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Some species have such narrow sapwood that it doesn't exist.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

Quote from: cwimer973 on January 12, 2016, 09:53:26 PM
If you spilt the 1.5 billion with your goat, is the goat tax higher than 39% we tax paying morons have to deal with.  I am thinking we let the "The Goat Strikes Back" claim it and pay the government nothing :)

#FavoriteGoatGameLastYear

Pith = "That's a pithy comment"... :D
As for splitting the money-the cable news folks told me last nite that the rich were already "taking the burden" as their taxes paid for most everything? That would lead me to wonder WTH they need with taxing the crap out of my wife & I given the level of FED taxes we pay and we don't even have any wages, just teacher retirement checks. Interestingly I pay far more in fed taxes than my total yearly earnings at the time I began working a FT job. Then there's the economy which is up or down, depending on the source. Rant over, temporarily... ;D
did I say I don't eat goat, keep um :new_year:
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on January 12, 2016, 11:20:45 PM
Read up on the toxicity issue with KFT pods. You want it to perk you up, not put you down.

I have milled a few Kentucky Coffeetree logs.  The most obvious characteristic, around here, is that the sapwood is so narrow, usually about 1/4".  The only contrasting sapwood I have seen that is that narrow.  Anyone know of another species with such narrow sapwood?
For narrow sap see the ERC logs in a recent thread. I sawed some years ago, ~ 1975, that had that narrow sap-they came out of an old cemetery(DEEP! shade and same for some I recently sawed from estill Co, KY that grew similar and near cliffs too) in Johnson Co KY, near Paintsville Lake. The folks were ticked that the old cedars were "discoloring the tombstones". I remember telling my FIL that had people buried there that a 100 year old tombstone was supposed to look old. he told me about them but wasn't real worried about if they were cut or stayed. I guess some people "need" stuff to worry over?
I think the narrow sap is often as much about the location/age as species?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WDH

Quote from: dboyt on January 13, 2016, 08:52:32 AM
KY Coffeetree is the only species I know of with alternate, bi-pinnately compound leaves.  I don't see many of them in the woods, though.

Several other legumes display the same alternate bi-pinnate compound leaf.  Here are two more.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=166

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=30

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on January 12, 2016, 04:14:36 PM
YH,

You could sell snake oil from the Snake Oil Tree  ;D. 

At $12 per liquid foot  :D.
Sure, why not?  I bet there are a lot of snakes out there that have dry skin issues, and need a good skin moisturizer, what with all that crawling around on the ground.   :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

YellowHammer

I just got in the last 9 logs the logger had, 12 footers, a couple nice and big, relatively straight.  I'm hoping he can get more off the tract he's working, it's a big one, up on the mountain that hasn't been logged for generations, apparently.  Some beautiful logs, of all species, coming in. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

WDH

DanG Robert,

That is too good  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SawyerBrown

To be honest, I'd never even heard of it until Saturday when a guy had two small logs in the pile to saw.  Photo doesn't do justice to the rich colors ... really beautiful stuff.  Unfortunately, someone had decided to drive 4 nails in at some point (the only ones we hit all day) -- the only question in my mind for such an act -- felony or just a misdemeanor?

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

LAZERDAN

Thank You Sponsors!