iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood HD36 or Wood-Mizer LT15

Started by 50 Acre Jim, June 04, 2017, 12:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50 Acre Jim

Getting ready to pull the trigger on my sawmill next week.   The short list is Norwood LumberPro HD36 and the Wood-Mizer LT15.  I'm just getting the basic saw mill with no hydraulics.  Wood-Mizer ships partially assembled (big plus) and is $500.00 less than the Norwood (another big plus!).  Other comparisons are listed below:

Norwood HD36

23HP engine
    36" log diameter
    28" board width
    13' log length

Wood-Mizer LT15

19HP engine
    28" log diameter
    23" board width
    17'8" log length

I've pretty much got my mind made up but I'd like to see which mill you "seasoned users" would choose.   Thanks for voting! 
Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

bigjohn1895

i went with the norwood because its bigger and the fact that you can add options later hydraulics are in my future  8)
norwood hd36  hydraulics to be built

millalien

We're using an LT15 for prototype product development and since the BF rate doesn't matter too much at this stage, we decided to go cheap, small & simple and sort of plan for obsolescence  - if we have enough production demand for wider boards or faster milling, we'll jump up several levels to a new machine with hydraulics and electronic controls. The depreciation hit isn't too much and its also likely that we'll keep that machine regardless and trailer mount it for mobile milling.

But basically, we're not expecting to do much big, wide timber and the width capacity of the LT15 was adequate. We looked at the LT15W(ide), looked at our log basket, and decided to pass on paying more $ for more "" - the additional capacity would go unused in our neck of the woods.

Lastly, WM-Oregon is down the street from us and I preferred to have the local vendor. They've been nice as pie so far (but I've not had a reason to be disgruntled ... yet.)

FWIW, assembly was ridiculously simple. The only issue we had was that we had to chase some threads with a tap to clean them out, but I think that's only because the machine sat on pallet in a pick-up truck bed through a long and snowy winter and it looks like threads got gunked up. Other than that, every part we needed was packed and the assembly information was 98% complete and accurate.

Sixacresand

I chose WM because their distributor Is in Georgia, great customer service.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

You can put the powerfeed on the LT15.  A powerfeed is a huge efficiency option.  Not sure if you can put a powerfeed on the Norwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

before I would buy, I would watch the two pics in action in person.  I've seen both run at the shoot outs, and have to say both have pro's and con's, there was something about the Norwood's I liked, can't put a thumb on it, some was the engine they had, but the outfeed of the dust was a con for me, at least on what I saw,  it goes on the log deck, tough pic, both will need mods unless you are content with the design of which ever one you pick, manual sawing is a tough avenue.  Like I said, try to see each in action, because once you take the bite, its a chew it up or spit it out deal,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Davek603

Woodmizer's service, parts and tech help is hard to beat. After the sale is made the service and availability to parts is what's important.  :)
Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

drobertson

Quote from: Davek603 on June 04, 2017, 06:52:21 PM
Woodmizer's service, parts and tech help is hard to beat. After the sale is made the service and availability to parts is what's important.  :)
this is true, and with all of them,  my question has always been, why is so many folks commenting on the good customer service?  is there not a mill that just runs without having to call for service?  and waiting for the next available tech? just asking,, most mills have wear parts that can be bought for a 1/3rd the price from parts houses, the main issue is electronics, this can bring one to the knees,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sawmilllawyer

I voted for the Norwood because of capacity and the ability to add power feed and hydraulics down the line  when you need them. Start small and work your way up more or less. Just my 2centavos. I must say the LT 15 wide does look  very interesting as well. Not an easy choice. YMMV.   
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Brucer

Until recently I was teaching a young guy to saw on my LT40. He'd already decided to buy his own mill and settled on a manual Norwood HD36 because of the capability to easily upgrade it in the future. It's fully upgradable to a fully hydraulic mill with power feed, etc., which was a major consideration.

His mill arrived the middle of last week (45 boxes) and on Friday I found him surrounded by boxes, with the frame assembled and ready to install the axle. I'm planning to pay him another visit on Monday to see how things are going.

One advantage to putting your mill together from scratch is that you will know it inside out and backwards when it comes time to do routine service and periodic repairs.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ladylake

Quote from: drobertson on June 04, 2017, 10:30:37 PM
this is true, and with all of them,  my question has always been, why is so many folks commenting on the good customer service?  is there not a mill that just runs without having to call for service?  and waiting for the next available tech? just asking,, most mills have wear parts that can be bought for a 1/3rd the price from parts houses, the main issue is electronics, this can bring one to the knees,

Exactly right, the best service is service that's not needed plus I think most if not all have good service ,plus mills with a lot of off the shelf parts get my vote.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red

There are no Electronics on an LT 15 . So you are comparing Apple's to Oranges . Do a little research on resale value in case you want to upgrade in the future.  Each sawmill has it's strengths and weaknesses.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: drobertson on June 04, 2017, 10:30:37 PM
My thoughts on this question is that you are dealing with large, heavy, odd shaped  logs and for most of us, at least partially inexperienced operators. I think you will find, at least initially, many of the customer service calls are simple operator error. Yes, WM did a pretty complete training demo of my mill when I got it but several things Tyler did I did not pay attention to and in many case I just did not know the questions to ask. The various WM techs on the line were overly patient walking me through the problem. That was worth a lot. BTW - I have never heard one negative comment on Norwood support either.

As to the parts I have bought through WM the prices were reasonable, competitive and their service was not prompt - it was immediate. The common use items such as belts were competitive and high quality.

As to the electronics they make me nervous because of the sensitivity but I have repeatedly commented on the fact I use my setworks extensively and would be so lost without it I can't imagine being without it.

I see many used mills for sale with very low hours and wonder "How did he own a mill that long and not use it more than that?" He obviously did not enjoy it as much as I do mine. Maybe just a little more/better coaching in the initial stages would have changed that.

Good luck - if you go with the LT15  you might consider investing that $500 saving into upsizing to the 25 hp Kholer engine or other options like power feed or setworks, if available.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Rickcnc

I have the HD36 and am very happy with my choice.. Putting it together took me around 18 hours. Over the course of 18 months of ownership I added a few options including the power head and hydraulic log loaders.

I'm sure the LT15 is a capable mill as well and you will be happy with either.

ladylake

Just from the size I'd go with the Norwood, a lot of difference in capacity, Both will have good resale.  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

They both work, I like both companies, there is just something about the norwood I like, not counting the fixed blade guides, but this is easily fixed, its a game of chevy, ford, dodge, I watched all the contenders put their mills together, at the shoot out,  its just what it is, if one can handle a ratchet and directions, well then its making dust regardless of the make.  My two cents worth is this, big companies  cater to big buyers, smaller buyers may do better with the (smaller) ones, I've seen some really good lumber come off the norwood,  they seemed more into useable lumber than the others,, just relaying what I saw, the difference in output was minimal.

Dave Shepard

The can LT15 be easily upgraded to hydraulics. You just sell it and buy a bigger mill. I've seen it happen many times right here in the FF. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

yes that works for a horse trader with an alternate income, saw, sell, retreat to the beach,  then saw some more, folks I know want to buy and saw their monies worth, not trade all the time, its a real life thing for many folks,  orange is as good as the rest, its not the best, the sawyer makes the mill, 

dboyt

Looks like you've done your homework, but I'm puzzled why you are looking at two machines of such different capacity.  The WoodMizer LT15 is a lot closer to the Norwood LM29.  What size logs will you be dealing with?  Hardwood or softwood?  Hobby or for profit?  I found my niche in milling oddball logs, including burls, cookies, and 28" diameter walnut that had been cut to 24" firewood lengths.  Being able to easily move the clamps to any position along the bed, add extra cross bunks, and move the log stops in and out has made my life a lot easier.  It also does well on straight logs, and is very capable of handling the full 36" diameter, as advertised-- as long as you're up to it.  Not too bad to put together.  I figure, why pay someone else to do something I can do?  I get most parts (bearings, belts, etc.) locally, and the few things I've needed from Norwood got shipped quickly and, as noted, they're customer service is great.  One other consideration... what is the wait time for the mills?  Some are backed up 8 months!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: dboyt on June 06, 2017, 08:30:37 AM
Looks like you've done your homework, but I'm puzzled why you are looking at two machines of such different capacity.  The WoodMizer LT15 is a lot closer to the Norwood LM29.   One other consideration... what is the wait time for the mills? 
Yep, good question Dave.  I had originally planned to purchase the LM29 but decided that from time-to-time I would be pushing the mill to its (log diameter) limits.  I would rather use a larger mill to less of its capacity than to use a smaller mill to 100% of its capacity.   That's really it in a nutshell.

I have a good deal of hardwood out here so that's what I'm gearing up to cut.  Wait time for the HD36 is 4-5 weeks, the Wood-Mizer was less.

Magicman

If you want wide capability, there is an LT15 WIDE
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

50 Acre Jim

Quote from: Magicman on June 06, 2017, 01:56:50 PM
If you want wide capability, there is an LT15 WIDE
Yep, but it's another $2K which puts us in a whole different ballpark.  :-) 

Ga Mtn Man

Not to throw a wrench at the monkey (old saying?), but I think for a mill with a wide cut capacity you can't beat an EZ Boardwalk 40.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

dgdrls

I voted,
have you had a chance to test drive each of them??

D

Thank You Sponsors!