iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White Pine Log Prices

Started by PA_Walnut, August 13, 2017, 10:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I'm needing a load of prime white pine to saw for a timber frame project I'm starting in a couple months.  What should I expect to pay for it? Location is central PA, so probably have to go north.

Thanks.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

etroup10

Where I work we are paying $40/ton for logs. We shave them. Based on that i would say a fair price would be somewhere in the $45- $50/ton range
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

PA_Walnut

Thanks. I've found some log yards listing white pain at $250/m international scale. Seem right?
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

In Pa. white pine does not bring much. I keep busy just picking up
Free white pine. I get some real nice logs.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

PA_Walnut

Interesting. I'm looking at some really big (30"+) pines that are clear for 30'. (or say they say). Want to offer a fair price, since for my own use on a timeframe project.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

etroup10

Quote from: PA_Walnut on August 13, 2017, 10:52:13 PM
Thanks. I've found some log yards listing white pain at $250/m international scale. Seem right?
Yeah that sounds about right
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Brad_S.

Lots of walnut, cherry and oak around me but good white pine can be hard to find, especially this time of year during hot weather.  I recently bought 5000 board feet and paid $375 per thousand.  That was a painful price to pay but it was the only pine I could find.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

moodnacreek

Because of carpenter bees , I am forced to stop sawing white pine timbers. The bees have gone deep into w.p. 4x12 on sticks here.   High grade w. pine logs cut long can bring hardwood prices in some locations after stain season.  I would pay 300 + m. for clear straight logs.

PA_Walnut

I have been concerned about those bees...the seem to like the pine, but avoid the hemlock.
I wonder what keeps them away?

I can wait a couple months if it's better.

Brad, keep me in mind for nice big, walnut if you want to unload some. I can deal with up to 36" and paying appropriately.
Thx
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ron Wenrich

I'd wait until the weather cools off.  You'll get blue stain in a week with the humid weather.  Looking for clear pine is a bit different than shaving logs.  I would expect you to pay a fairly good price, depending on how much you want. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

4x4American

$250/mbf standard log run price here.  Have heard some places are paying $300-400/mbf.  This is all International 1/4" scale.  The local shavings mill pays $28/ton for pine.  I think for $300-350/mbf you can be picky and get what you want.  I just bought some pine the other day for $250/mbf on the header.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!