iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

american loggers

Started by a old timberjack, February 21, 2009, 09:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

MLK, pretty much the same old, trucking oh did I mention trucking:) Logging sucks in the rain. They did for a moment show the new forwarder (nice) but thats about it.
Wish they would spend more time on the cutting end of it, showing the equipment working and such.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Mooseherder

I was looking forward to catching up from missing last week's episode and when it didn't come on I found out there won't be any for 2 more weeks. ::)
There is a repeat of Mule Logging on though.

CounselorJ

I think the show is great.  I was born and raised in Millinocket, so I'm quite familiar with the Golden Road.  It used to be quite the experience as a kid watching one of those triples come at you at 50-70 mph, looking like they'll tip any second.  A long, long time ago, a cherry picker on a trailer came loose around a corner and took out a sedan with 3-4 people in it.  I didn't see it (too young at the time), but I've always heard about it.

Mooseherder

Looking for an update on the next episode of American Loggers and came across some old logging photos. :)

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/american-loggers/logging-history/logging-history.html

beenthere

Some cool pics there. Thanks
Saying that putting tracks through the swamps was tough and back-breaking work is a bit of an understatement (by today's standards  :) ).

The bunk house looks a bit like the deer hunting cabins Nailhead showed us at the UP ATV ride at da high camp.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chucker

thats some great ole pictures from the past! wouldnt it be even greater to be able to produce the same way again ? in stead of the cut and slash of the new ways in the forest.
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Jeff

No, it wouldn't.  Today's harvesting techniques are far less destructive and far less wasteful then those days.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chucker

slow and easy , never take more then what is needed. always more left for another days work! cut a tree, make it into lumber, firewood and limbs for cover for the animals or to rot for fertilizer.. besides never to out produce to make you wonder if there will be work for tomorrow or a flooded market? some of the new is great. but a lot of the old ways were even better!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Jeff

That's not what those old lumber camp photos were about. Your description does not fit early logging at all. I'm a bit of a nut about reading and collecting books on the subject and have dozens.  Your description sounds romantic, but for the most part, related to history, its fiction.

Look at those photos of the rivers packed with logs.  Everything was cut.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chucker

yes !! jeff your right on some things.. the camps were hell and so was the life. but the way i see somethings being done these days there not all for the best! we cut more then we need and salvage more then what was back then with the tub grinders and chipers... makeing more out of what we cut does put us out of work in many ways as were finding out with a full market ! the log yard not far from where i live is flooded with aspen and popel !! lumber is going cheap, and saw logs are going for less then firewood?  so more or less if we had a slower time kinda like the old ways we would probably be into a better future!! just my .2 cents....   ???

Gary_C

Quote from: chucker on April 24, 2009, 10:27:23 PM
the log yard not far from where i live is flooded with aspen and popel !! lumber is going cheap, and saw logs are going for less then firewood?  so more or less if we had a slower time kinda like the old ways we would probably be into a better future!! just my .2 cents....   ???

The log yards are supposed to be full this time of the year. And I hear that Potlach in Bemidji did not get enough logs because no one was cutting softwoods this winter. We are having a slower time right now because the demand is way down, not because we are cutting too much.

And just what is this "cut and slash" method you talk about?  I've not seen anything like that here.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chucker

the log yard just west of brainerd has an average of 25 trucks a day loaded comeing in and as many as 35. after there sorted for quality or species there going out around 10 loads a day. as far as not much cutting this last winter there were as many as 40 loads going to the yard and none going out! the cutting was only slowed down here by the price of fuel as well as the price the mills were paying for logs !! which the price of stumpage was often higher then produced pulp and saw logs!! slash and burn was the words of choice, so much of the smaller tracts here were select cut and then just burned what ever they did not want! the chippers are just now geting started as a second source of income for a few bigger loggers.

Gary_C

chucker

it was potlatch's before they sold out to sappie and now i believe its wassa's, although it was moved from baxter to pillager about 3 miles..

Gary_C

It could belong to Sappi as I believe that rail line runs to Cloquet. But it also could belong to Versa Paper in Sartell (old IP plant) as that line is also connected to the one that goes to Sartell.

I know Sappi slowed down deliveries early this spring as demand was down and things backed up in the yards. And Versa was slow most of this year with their big line down much of the first quarter. But never fear, by July or August they will push the panic button when their yard inventories diminish. Versa Paper was looking again in April when they started up their big line and were afraid they would not have enough log inventory to last thru spring breakup.

chucker

lol ? well maybe.. from the 2 yards here and haveing lived around them for the last 25 years the  new yard is as full as i have ever seen it!! so no shortage over this way?? supply and demand it still controls the market ........... its just to bad the potlatch mill in cook and ainsworth mills had to close indefinitly.

Chico

Guys ther was more waste back in those days than now if they didn't need a species they'd clear cut leave it lay and they cut everything and it wasn't easy and laid back it was blow and go those men lived togethwer in those camps for months no bathes etc  They had no chippers they either burnt the slabs and sawdust in a burner or buried it we are much more efficient now plus the fact we replant  A little matter they didn't bother with and they built mills cut it out moved the mills and left the mess No they weren't better they were stepping stones laid down by hard and tough men and thank goodness the modern form of lumber utilization came along in time to set in motion programs to save our industry . It's like the phrases I hear about sawmilling being easier Imo It's not when you work in a prod mill pine or Hw you're sawing wide open the press is on for numbers and grade and all the time not beating your equipment up easier NO diff Yes
jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Ron Scott

The book, "The Lands Nobody Wanted", by William Shands is a good read.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!