iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alternative to chaps?

Started by Woodboogah, June 24, 2013, 08:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

I am looking for a cooler and lighter alternative to chaps for days like today (mid 90's).  I have looked at the husky pants but have not been able to find them to look at them in person.  I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has tried any other product.  I dont ever not wear my chaps but hot days production slows way down.  Thanks in advance!!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Decked

Back in my day we tried the green pants with pads inside the legs. ( Labonville ) .Quite nice untill the really hot days. Sweaty skin would sorta stick to the pad, so stepping up into the skidder, the pads & pants wouldn't 'give' with taking a big step...annoying. We wound up going back to chaps & living with it.

Woodboogah

I was looking at those labonville pants.  Seemed they would be just as hot.  I wont not wear my chaps.  I would like to find even a really light pant to go underneath them, instead of jeans. 

Ryan D

I find the pants to be warmer than the chaps. I just switched over to my chaps for the summer months. No matter what they are going to be warm to wear but I find that at least with the chaps I can quickly take them off when they aren't needed.

240b

Green labonville pants.  I cut the internal liner out and just let the kevlar float inside, they stay in place for me.
They are the least hot option I've found. All the other pants I tried are REALLY hot.  When its 90 thou nothing is truly cool. Start work at 4 quit by 10.

CCC4

Quote from: Woodboogah on June 24, 2013, 09:07:03 AM
I was looking at those labonville pants.  Seemed they would be just as hot.  I wont not wear my chaps.  I would like to find even a really light pant to go underneath them, instead of jeans.

For a light pant to wear under your chaps...have you ever considered "Dickey's" work slacks? They are very thin and light yet rather tough! When I was a log turner on a handset mill I wore out so many jeans it was crazy. I swtiched to the slacks and I don't know why...but they are very tough!

240b

dickeys are polyester, jeans cotton

PAFaller

I second the dickies or similar work pant and the lightest chaps you can get. I try to cut all morning when its cool, then skid in the afternoon. Again, when its mid 80s and above and humid nothing you do is going to keep you cool. Ive also switched to wearing lightweight short sleeve dress shirts. Same style as ranch hands out west and the Amish wear. That polyester dries a lot faster so you dont feel all clammy. Im a t-shirt kind of guy but on real hot days it works. Just go to the local goodwill and pick em up for 2 bucks a piece, no big deal if they are rags by the end of the summer.
It ain't easy...

Mark K

I use Husky pants during the winter. Way to hot and bulky for the summer. Only time I wear them during the summer is when Im working in a lot of undergrowth or thickets wear my chaps tend to catch. Mainly wear Dickies and chaps during the summer as others have said.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

jwilly3879

White painter pants, either bibs or regular under chaps. They are light , fit loosely and don't stick like jeans but they will never be white again.

thenorthman

PPE what's that I just wear a speedo and flip flops, of course my mat of curly dreads protects my skull... ;D
well that didn't work

Woodboogah

Im just dealing with it.  Start at first light and leave when its unbearable.  I hate the heat to begin with.  Counting down the days to below freezing!

Stephen Alford

Stihl have summer cutter pants . There is no protection on the back of the calf. Padding on the front is lighter but works  for the most part. Stitches up well with dental floss and a lighter.  :D

logon

Thank You Sponsors!