Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Ok all you southern guys, here's one YOU don't see very often. ;D

This is pretty easy ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

Quote from: sprucebunny on June 14, 2007, 06:22:47 AM
Ok all you southern guys, here's one YOU don't see very often. ;D

You got that right ;D.  I am going to have to use a few gray cells on this one.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Well, the fact that it's sitting upright let's me know what genus it is, but there are several different species that have purple-coned varieties.  Given your location, I have a pretty good idea which one it is, but I ain't sayin' yet ;).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

How do you know that the pic is not upside down ??? :D. 

Sprucebunny might be being sneaky.  It has happened here before, you know ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

You're right, I know of at least one species of spruce with purple cones...but if I can't assume that the picture is right-side up, then I give up :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

OK.  I have a pretty good idea too.  Where are all the Northern guys who should be jumping all over this one ???.

You reckon they are leaving all the thinking to the Southern Guys from UGA ??? ::) ;D.

Dodgy Loner

Probably a good policy :D ;) ;D 8)

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Self-portrait of a Missourian Texan ???  Is that you after cruising all day in the Texas heat? ;D  Or is there something else that you are trying to say :).

sprucebunny

Me ? Sneaky ??? smiley_angel02_wings

The cones seemed to appear almost overnight and some of last years cones are still hanging on. What really fastinated me was how waxy the cones seem ;D

Sprucegum

I have seen the odd purple cone but they never look that cool  8)

That's mighty fine photography.

limbrat

Waxy it looks almost like a carved candle, very very nice. Since it looks like a small cone and small needles and like nothing around here im gona say its some kind of fir.
ben

WDH

I like the way the cone sort of peeks through the foliage ;).

sprucebunny

This was really just an excuse to post the photo ;D

I really like this tree.They remind me of bald cypress.

WDH

Quote from: WDH on June 14, 2007, 11:04:05 AM
OK.  I have a pretty good idea too.  Where are all the Northern guys who should be jumping all over this one ???.

You reckon they are leaving all the thinking to the Southern Guys from UGA ??? ::) ;D.

Well, I blew this one.  Not at all what I thought it was :-\. 

limbrat

Like a cypress cause they are durable and decidious softwoods :P Larix Laricina, Tamarack
ben

Dodgy Loner

I was way off too.  I was thinking it was some sort of fir because the cone was sitting upright on the stem.  The answer is obvious in the second photo, though.

WDH

Yeah, Dodgy Loner.  We pretty much stink at this ;).

sprucebunny

Quote from: limbrat on June 16, 2007, 07:43:34 PM
Like a cypress cause they are durable and decidious softwoods :P Larix Laricina, Tamarack

Yes ;D I'm still hoping to saw one up someday.

SwampDonkey

;D I knew you'd stump'm.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

They didn't pay attention to the 'Tree Sex' thread. There is one cone similar there, only different species.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!