iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another tree from our SW Georgia pond site

Started by GW, July 24, 2007, 09:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

I need a camera with a better zoom. I couldn't locate a similar tree with lower leaves, but I'll work on it.

It's in moist, well drained soil and it's near Sweetgums, Tulip Poplar, Water Oak, Magnolia Grandiflora, Wild Azalea, and some Loblolly. I believe this one was about 14 - 16 inches dbh and maybe 60 feet high.

I promise I'll get better at collecting data, this time I was focused on marking trees... :-\

Muchas Gracias.

Dodgy Loner

Tha's a tough one, GW.  The smooth and reddish-brown bark is distinctive, to be sure.  When I first saw the pictures I was thinking dahoon holly (Ilex cassine) or buckwheat-tree, aka black titi (Cliftonia monophylla), but both of those trees are generally much smaller than 14" DBH and 60' high.  Occasionally, dahoon may reach that size, but more information could definitely be gleaned from a picture of the leaves.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dodgy Loner

Just a thought- I can't see the leaves, but is it possible that's another sweetbay?  The bark looks remarkably similar to the bark in your other pictures.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

GW

I think you may be right DL. I looked up the original photo and there's one of the same tree and the leaves do look like Sweetbay. I'm pretty sure I can find that tree again, and now that I know more about Sweetbay maybe I can ID it. If I remember correctly it was bigger than most of the others. Unfortunately I also think that it's in the area that will be flooded. It's possible that the shoreline will fluctuate quite a bit so maybe it can survive.

Thanks.

PS. Spareribs.

Dodgy Loner

Thank You Sponsors!