iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need info help from JD540 gurus..

Started by Decked, January 03, 2018, 10:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decked

a friend bought a JD540A-D !!  Never heard of such a thing. I had a 540A...and this machine looks the same on the outside...but..some differences..the engine is a 6 cyl..but has a turbo...I don't know the size...also the axles look the same as on my 540D...lug nuts and not the center cap we had to epoxy.

Some questions
did this A_D have a 'kick' brake?
We took the floor plate off around the tran. fill tube...we see the diff. lock pedal...we assume the rear axle has no unlock feature-just the front?

right next to the diff lock pedal, is a block with a small copper line that has been cut 'n plugged off...did this go to the rear brakes?

does the cold weather hyd. disengage lever on the left side disengage anything else besides the PTO to the winch?

There is a hyd. pump on the rear of the transfer case..what does this pump run?

the 'park' brake seems to have been disabled...common? ( it was disabled on the A model I had).

the big brake on the right side is a winching brake that grabs the drive shaft somewhere..correct? ( I don't remember on the one I had)

I bought a brand new D in '86...I can remember stuff on that one..lol

Any help is greatly appreciated..thank youi !!

Decked

Oh..is there any place to buy /download a manual for this skidder?

teakwood

I bought my manual from deere. mine is a 540A 1971. i think there is no A-D

Quote from: Decked on January 03, 2018, 10:44:10 PM
a friend bought a JD540A-D !!  Never heard of such a thing. I had a 540A...and this machine looks the same on the outside...but..some differences..the engine is a 6 cyl..but has a turbo...I don't know the size...also the axles look the same as on my 540D...lug nuts and not the center cap we had to epoxy.

Some questions
did this A_D have a 'kick' brake? don't know what you mean by that
We took the floor plate off around the tran. fill tube...we see the diff. lock pedal...we assume the rear axle has no unlock feature-just the front? Rear is fixed, front has diff lock

right next to the diff lock pedal, is a block with a small copper line that has been cut 'n plugged off...did this go to the rear brakes? ??? The only thing that goes to the rear are 2 fuel lines and one brake line

does the cold weather hyd. disengage lever on the left side disengage anything else besides the PTO to the winch? it disconnects everything, trans and winch, just the main pump still turns

There is a hyd. pump on the rear of the transfer case..what does this pump run? ??? maybe you mean the charge pump wo works of the trany and feeds the mainpump

the 'park' brake seems to have been disabled...common? ( it was disabled on the A model I had). the park brake is the same gearshifter if you but it way down and it grabs the transmission output shaft, mine was seized, the cable, put some WD 40 in and it was good to go

the big brake on the right side is a winching brake that grabs the drive shaft somewhere..correct? ( I don't remember on the one I had)that big lever is the handbrake and its easy to repair (a disk and a brake shoe) and is absolutely necessary to have. mine is working at a 100% and i can leave the skidder in any slope and get off and pull cable behind the machine without fear

I bought a brand new D in '86...I can remember stuff on that one..lol

Any help is greatly appreciated..thank youi !!

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

snowstorm

the way you describe it it is a 540 a from the 70's. the motor was a 359

Ford_man

I got a service manual for my 450B dozer from www.jensales.com 800-443-0625.

Decked

I never heard of an  "AD" ..but the metal tag on it says  "JD540A D"

Remle

Quote from: Decked on January 03, 2018, 10:46:40 PM
Oh..is there any place to buy /download a manual for this skidder?
The free on line JD parts has a parts only manual that you can view " PC 1977 " is the one for the 540D. Their is one for each JD Skidder built.

jdeere540a

I have a 1975 540a I always thought the d at the end of the model stood for diesel. My engine is 6 cylinder 316 turbocharged. The hand brake has never worked but park on the shift lever dose. The cold start disconect disengages the clutch so the winch and trans stop turning

Decked

I ran the ol' girt 3 hours this afternoon..7 above zero...it was like going on a date with my first kiss from 40 years ago. Love that 6cyl. !!  I still prefer the "D" model tho.

teakwood

Quote from: jdeere540a on January 05, 2018, 09:13:47 PM
I have a 1975 540a I always thought the d at the end of the model stood for diesel. My engine is 6 cylinder 316 turbocharged. The hand brake has never worked but park on the shift lever dose. The cold start disconect disengages the clutch so the winch and trans stop turning

And how do you winch in without the handbrake? And when you have the skidder parked in a slope and you have to get off and haul the cable behind the machine?
That handbrake is just such an easy fix, just unscrew the battery box and then like 7 screws more from the brakehousing

jdeere540a

Teakwood I put it in park that still works good. Park is just linkage hooked to the shift lever to the foot brake. I use that or put the blade down.

Maine logger88

Quote from: teakwood on January 06, 2018, 06:39:33 AM
Quote from: jdeere540a on January 05, 2018, 09:13:47 PM

And how do you winch in without the handbrake? And when you have the skidder parked in a slope and you have to get off and haul the cable behind the machine?
That handbrake is just such an easy fix, just unscrew the battery box and then like 7 screws more from the brakehousing
If a 540a brake system is like a 540b brake system then you can winch in park. The 440's you could not cause those the park was putting it in 2 gears at once and you would break transmission gears. Be careful working behind a 540 with it just in park and make sure to have blade pressure on the ground they will occasionally pop out of park mine has done it a couple times over the years.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Decked

I rented an "A" once while mine was in the shop..it did just that..brake popped off 'n she came back after me. I wasn't far back 'n she hit a tree gently...picked the front end with the blade after that.

teakwood

Quote from: jdeere540a on January 06, 2018, 12:48:22 PM
Teakwood I put it in park that still works good. Park is just linkage hooked to the shift lever to the foot brake. I use that or put the blade down.

You have a 540A, right?  I am pretty sure that you are mistaken with that Quote. The park lock (shifting lever all the way down) does not engage any brakes, nor foot or parkbrake. it puts a lock on the trans output pinion but that thing can spring/slip and the machine goes down the slope, it is very important after engaging park lever also engage parkbrake (the big lever on the right) to back it up.
on even ground i use only the parkbrake without the park lock but would never do it otherwise.

jdeere540a

Teakwood yes I do own a 540a. I've owned it for almost 10 years now. When i put it in park there is linkage that goes down the dash and under the floor that pulls the break paddle down applying  the brakes

lopet

Sounds like you have the newer model or a update. Or a wannebe 540 B  :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

teakwood

That's weird ??? Where there different typs within the same model?
Of course i can only speak of my 540A, that's the only skidder i have ever owned

Sounds like a good feature to me!  When i winch in a real heavy load i stand hard on the footbrake, thats the strongest hold the machine has because you applying 4 brakedisks at the same time and not just one disk on the trans shaft 

jdeere540a

I think mine is a later a series it's a 1975 or 76. It's turbocharged and I was told they didn't make many like that. I know it has a lot more torque then my buddy's 540b.

Decked

those 6 cyl. have torque out the ying-yang....

WELL....the clowns took the ol' girl out and busted the left front axle...planetary, probably...they had to use the diff lock to get it out of the woods.

I told them that's what happens when they go without adult supervision ( me)!

lopet

Teakwood, like in the old days the series lasted five or ten years. The last one running of the assembling was never like the one running of it first. They made improvement over the years.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!