iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Dogs / Man's best friend.

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 30, 2003, 05:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

This is Runt.  He is half Beagle and half Rat Terrier.  He runs rabbits and trees squirrels as well as coons.  He will chase a deer when in the mood.  But he has to check out every log that comes on the yard and marks most of them. >:(
  He is a very good hound and eats the white grubs that come out of old pine logs.  :-/
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

Noble_Ma

Hey Arky,

It's funny you should mention that your dog is half rat terrier.  My dad was from Kentucky and one time when we were down there visiting, we picked up a new puppy.  It turned out to be a rat terrier.  He was a little dog with a big dog personality!!!  He protected our yard like no dog we ever had before.  He would go after dogs twice or more times his size and win!!  The picture of your dog really brought back some fond memories of my childhood. Thanks ;D

-Noble

Weekend_Sawyer

Log Dog, someone aught to grab that as a handle  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

We've always had a Log Yard Dowg.  

Here is Mr. S**tHead protecting this nice pile of cedar.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I wanna be log dog  :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

We're already in the habit of calling you S**t head  :D :D :D

anoble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

Noble I haven't laughed this hard since Arkansawyer told about plucking ducks at the car wash :D

Kevin

ohsoloco

My retriever keeps more inventory in the log yard than I do, but I wouldn't want to mill any of her logs  :D

Norm

This is Cole, our log dog. He is part black lab, part golden retriever, and part beagle. He likes to climb up in the trees after we fell them.

ARKANSAWYER

Â This is great to see others log dawgs.  I have to becareful as they will get up on the logs while on the mill and they get under the mill while I am sawing old pine to get the grubsl
 Â Most of my customers really like the dogs and the other day they ran 2 deer through the log yard while some folks from up North were here.  They were tickled to see the deer and thought it funny that they were running from such little dogs.  I guess they do not know Rat Terriers.
 Â This is LBJ and she is Runt's sister.

ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

They must not have been from very far North. This far north dogs that run deer don't never run again. I realize that in some states its legal and probably ethical, but in deep snow country its bad news. Those little dogs stay on top of the crust and with a group will run a deer to death, or catch up to it and kill it as the deer will break though and flounder.

Yep, up here dogs running deer is not a good thing for deer or dogs.

Bibbyman

While I've seen dogs chasing deer quite a few times over the years,  I've not seen any conclusive evidence that they've actually caught one and done it in.    

Sometimes it's as though the deer are a willing participant.  One time our half beagle and half chihuahua and large beagle were running a big doe on the farm.  They ran it in a circle over about 80 acres a time or two.  I was able to call in the little dog but the big beagle would not come in so son Chris intercepted him on the next round and brought him back to the house.  The doe followed him and the dog for a half-mile through the open pasture and came right to our yard fence and watched for a good little bit even though there were two dogs and several people in the yard only a few feet away.  Her curiosity satisfied,  she snorted and bolted back down the direction she came with white flag waving.

Animals sometimes have strange relationships.  When Mr. Head (picture above) was our guest,  he loved to run and bark at the big mule and standard bread horse we had.  They'd whinny and bolt in fear and run a big circle in the pasture.  Then come back and let him do it again.  After a couple of times, they'd get board of the game and just ignore him barking in their faces and nipping at their hooves.  I was sure at any moment the mule would deal him a deathblow but he never did.  Other times he could just be crossing the corner of their pasture and they'd thunder over and try to stomp him and he'd have to run for his life.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Here is our indoor Log Dog. Scooter the Yorkshire Terrier. Abosolutely fearless. The breed has been known to attack street sweepers or anything else that invades their territory. We also have an Australion Shephard and a Husky. Scooter rules the household.  Right now he is guarding my project wood. This is one of my whiteoak stumps drying in the house.
If you look real close the other stump is in the background with the hole plumb filles with hickory sticks waiting for another project.

Kevin

Is that one of those pine beagles ?
I heard they're moving north.

Ron Scott

Yes, those yorkies are fearless. We had one that would take on "anything". The "big dogs" didn't fool with him. Old age finally took him.  
~Ron

ARKANSAWYER

I could see where dogs and deer and deep snow not get along well.  But here if we did not use dogs to move the deer around they would just sit on one hill and inbreed to death.  I have hunted a place where dogs are not allowed to run and none to the bucks have eye guards on the left side.  Over the years the buck's racks are getting smaller and the deer getting fewer.
  Like Bibbyman I have seen deer that seem to enjoy a good chase.  We had a doe chase the dogs last summer and it was quite a scene.  Later we saw her cross the log yard with two fawns.
  If you have ever hunted with hounds and learned to listen to the baying of the chase it stirs something in your soul.  To sit out on a ridge and hear the hounds comming your way and you are trying to guess where the deer will cross and if it is legal your heart will be beating so loud you can no longer hear the hounds.  It is a rush and thrill that will stay with you for life.
  Now if you use dogs to fetch ducks, point birds, chase bunnies or tree squrriels/coons, or run deer it is all the same.  Hunters have been doing it since the first dogs have been domesticated.  To see a good dog work and the pride of a owner when his hound takes lead of the chase or works out the back trail is something else.
  Now house cats kill more bunnies, quail and other things just for the thrill of killing and often do not eat it.  House cats have just about wiped out the quail population here.  A few years ago my local turkey population took a major drop and then did my chicken crop.  4 house cats later and all is well on the farm again.
  Come down some time and I will teach you what Runt is saying while on the hunt.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Don P

Yup, we've been having real trouble with our black and tan, Jasper running dear. She tried to flee but he's right fast ::)

OneWithWood

Baron and Chester, my two black labs standing by a dry creek bed as they cruise the timber stand.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ElectricAl

Linda wanted a pet for the sawmill, not just some regular pet, but an unusual pet ::)

Here it is a Pinched Ear Goat.

It certainly likes to climb the logs.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

BW_Williams

Lucy and a big red oak log, she's not too happy about sharing the back of her truck!   BWW

Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Mark M

Here is our new log dog, or should I say board dog.

ARKANSAWYER

Mark,
  I hope that new board hound does not turn that lumber into pith elm. :D :D :D :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Minnesota_boy

I see that Mark's new "log dog" keeps it's tail curled pretty close to it's back.  I guess it saw what Mark did to the cat's tail.   :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ron Scott

"Where are the Logs?"

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!