iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Richmond Expo (Long)

Started by Hokiemill, June 06, 2004, 09:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hokiemill

Well, I've just returned from Richmond and thought I would give you all a brief (or not so brief) review of the experience.  Keep in mind that this was my first forestry/logging show and my interests mainly involve swingmills.

First comment is wow, was that cool!  This was a pretty big show.  The 29th of its kind, covering a half a million sq. ft. of exhibit space and something like 350 vendors.  There was everything from peaveys to lasers, chainsaws to pallet-chomping-chip-grinding-wood-coloring-mulch-spitting-city block-long-thing-a-ma-jigs.

My handy expo handbook says that portable sawmill vendors exhibiting included Baker, Brand-X, Hud-son, Peterson, T.S. Manufacturing, Quality, Timber Harvester, WoodMizer, and Logosol.

It was interesting that the two swingmills weren't who you would expect.  Peterson, yes, but Brand-X, no.  I talked to the Bailey guys and they said they had an indoor booth and opted to not bring the Lucas.  I spent most of my time hanging with Captain at the Peterson booth and drooling over the WPF and the ASM.  Many thanks to Craig for letting me lurk around and ask him questions.  I even got to tail a few boards off the ASM.  Owning an older Lucas, it is clear to me that when I'm able to upgrade I'm going red.  I could flip the WPF blade from horizontal to vertical with one finger and the horizontal crank adjustment was definitely the way to go.  As an engineer I felt the overall fabrication and design looked to be top of the line.

Here is the ASM doing some work

Another ASM shot

Captain working with the WPF

I also had the opportunity to meet the entire Logrite crew and can easily say they're a great bunch of people.  I was able to test out the newly released product (see contest question 3) and can say without a doubt that they will sell them as fast as they can fabricate them.  I had the opportunity to handle one of their Peaveys over in the Peterson booth.  They are top-notch tools.  I thought that being aluminum, they wouldn't have the right heft or balance, but I was wrong.  I bought a 36" hookaroon and I plan on winning a peavey in the contest.

The short guy in the middle is me.  It's probably best that this picture was a bit out of focus  ;D.

I was pretty impressed that Brand-X made the long haul to Richmond and their rig looks great.  Paid special attention to the log dogs - nice.

For you band guys I took a few pictures too.

Woodmizer had a huge setup including the impressive, industrial gray line of equipment.  Here's a pic of the LT70 they had spitting boards out.

Watched the Baker rig hum for a while - they were working with some pretty big sticks.

TimberHarvester was there.

And I even hung out, watched, and was impressed with the Logosol woodworker mill.

All in all it was a great day (saturday - friday it rained all day) and it was fun to meet some forestryforum members.  I kept hearing that shopteacher was running around, but I never bumped into him.  Hey Captain, keep me in mind for the next Expo in two years - I'll tail for ya all weekend.  I'm already looking forward to it.

Randy (Hokiemill)

Jeff

Great Report! Thanks Randy!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

EZ

Yes thanks Randy. I could go to these places every weekend and not get board.
EZ

Ianab

Yeah.. Cool report there.
We have the NZ Ag Fieldays in a couple of weeks, it's mostly farming stuff but there is a sawmill section thats cool  8)
I'm sure some of us will have some pics from there to  ;)

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

It's always great to see the equipment and meet new folks. Thanks for the report, Randy. 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Dang! that was almost as good as going myself. Thanks for showing us Randy. :)

Rod

I was going to go but with the storms going on around here I changed my mind.We had mud slides,power out for a few days.

neslrite

Thanks Randy, you have just about said it all.

I would like to add some pics.

Shopteacher gave us this little gift. Thank You!

Here is a picture of Shopteacher with his new Peavey, aint it pretty.

Here is Tammy tailing for Captian so he can show off the speed of that impressive automatic mill.

Shopteacher with Sam at the Baker booth, and yes Sam she will send you the recipe.

Overall it was a great show!  Thank you!
neslrite, and the LogRite team

rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Captain

Greetings from the great island paradise of Kona, Hawaii!!  Yep, on a "company trip" for my full time employer and my wife is along for some much deserved R+R. Just could not resist the opportunity to check in with the Forestry Forum, I missed all of you since leaving for the Richmond show.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank everyone from the Forestry Forum that stopped by the booth in Richmond to introduce yourselves. For others who are members or sponsors, I am sorry that I was not afforded the opportunity to get around to your booths to meet with you.   If you notice in Kevin and Randy's pictures, the FF hat never came off.   I owe a special debt of thanks to the entire LogRite crew; Pete, Kevin and my assistant Tammy as well as Randy (Hokiemill) for all of the help.  I learned on Wednesday (the day before show setup) that RevCant was not going to be able to make the show and I was flying solo. (he had 15 acres of hay to get in) Pete, Kevin and Tammy were very good about checking in with me to make sure I was fed and had everything else I needed. At the end of the show, I was faced with the daunting task of breakdown and loading the trailer by myself.  Randy showed up at show close and worked with me a solid 2 hours to break down and pack.  Pete and Kevin helped us actually get everything on the trailer before leaving.

I drove away from the show about 2 hours earlier than I expected thinking how powerful a place the Forestry Forum is and what a terrific group of people we have here.  I can not thank the moderators, sponsors and especially Mr. Brokaw enough.  
 :)
Captain  

shopteacher

Would have posted earlier but I'm just now recovering for the logrite brownie.  Pure heaven I tell ya.  Tamiam, you ever hear of Mrs. Fields?  How about the millions she made?  That brownie was good enough to run competition with anybody's. I snuck back and got another one on Saturday and think I OD on the dang thing, it was that good.  Good thing Ole Butch wasn't along or there would have been logrite booth all over that expo hall.  He never would have just settled for one.
  It was great to meet the Logrite group and I will say you'll never find a nicer group of people. Charming I tell ya, simply charming.
   I really like that pink cant hook, guess I must have found my feminine side after all.
    Can't post much in the way of pictures due to technical difficulties with my picture box.  Some darn fool left the lens cap on.  It was so gray out side Sat. I was looking thru the view finder instead of the LCD. So only got a pic of the logrite group and the Baker mill.
    That was a really great show.  Couldn't get over all the different equipment and the power some of it had.  I only wish I had a big wad of extra cash to spread around there.

The logrite group had a really nice display, attraction piece. It was a piece of a log bolted to a torquing apparatus that when someone pulled on the log with a cant hook it registered on a meter mounted on the post(seen in front of Pete). A lot of guys were pulling up around 900 or so when I was there and the kids got it up to several hundred. I the second picture you can see Pete checking his pull after much groaning and grunting. I think it read 26.5 pound. :D
   Got to talk to Captain and his awesome Peterson. Talked with Don Lewis, Dave Mann, and Sam from Baker.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Sam

I agree, it was a great show, even in spite of all the rain on Friday. Even in the rain, we had a huge crowd outside watching our new sawmill. It had a 2" band blade and 66 HP John Deer, for those of you who missed it.

Shopteacher, thanks again for the cool name tag! I displayed it in my booth all day Saturday. It was great getting to talk with you.

The Logrite crew made great neighbors! Tammy those brownies really were awesome! I have to admit, I snuck back over and had another one myself on Saturday!

Pete J

Teeeeach,
That log tester contraption that we had turned into a bit of a circus act.  I could do about 500 foot lbs.on day one of the show, a 12 year old beat me on saturday.We had some really, really big guys challenging each other to a strong man competition. One guy posted over 1450 foot lbs. of torque on the log. The cant hook handled it fine, I thought they were going to break the machine. We brought it along to show how strong our tools were. In the end, we found out which guys to have on your side in a fight.

The story of the birth, development and new home of the PINK peavey. OK, we don't normally make Hot Pink peaveys. It just sort of came about as a dare from Tammy. It took on a life of it's own at the show because it was so eye catching at our booth.We had many, many comments about it, many funny, some negative, all in all it was a conversation piece. We started by saying it was our ladies model but that started to sound a bit degrading to women. We then said it was our anti-theft color. That got a bit better response. Then we started telling some really big, strong guys that were putting high numbers on the log tester that a pink peavey would really show how tough they are! Think about it, deep in the woods you run into a guy with a hot pink peavey. Are you gonna mess with him? I didn't think so.

So friday comes and goes, fast forward to saturday afternoon. A big, strong, Grizzly Adams type of guy comes up to us and demands to buy the pink peavey. We tell him that is just a display model. He won't take no for an answer and does not want a blue peavey, he wants pink. So off he goes, another satisfied LogRite customer, but wait! He comes back 45 minutes later visibly upset. He says to us, "I have to go and put this thing out in the truck, it is really starting to annoy people, some people are getting upset and making comments about it, I don't want it to cause any trouble". I asked him why he just had to have the pink peavey and he told me his company provides hot pink hats to all their employees to wear while working. He said many guys refuse to wear the pink hats so he bought the peavey to show all the guys that pink logging tools are for real men.

I don't think that is the last that we'll hear of the pink peavey.

Tam-i-am

The show was great!  It was nice to meet all the Forestry Members.

First,  I already miss my pink peavey but I think I want a pink cant.

I'm glad the members enjoyed the brownies, but I think LogRite is going to stick to tools.  So here is the recipe
for the LogRite Brownie!

Brownie Mixture:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1 cup oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all ingredients until smooth.  Then stir in
6 oz. milk chocolate chips
6 oz. semisweet chips

Cream Cheese Mixture:
16 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Beat all ingredients until smooth.

Grease bottom of 13 X 9 pan.  Pour in brownie mixture.  Pour cream cheese mixture on top.

Bake at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes.

Tam I Am
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Kevin_H.

Ok that recipe needs to make it's way to the knowledge base.  ;D

It was a little too far for me to make it to the show, but I think I will try the brownies... 8)
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Sam

Thanks Tammy!

Baby Colby will really be able to do some kicking if I have a whole pan of those around!  :D

Stan

Substitute some Hersey's chocolate syrup for some of that water and your brownies won't need any frostin'.  ;)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Jeff

Yep, Knowledge base material.

Tamiam, we are having a discussion on this in another thead. (Knowledge base). How about showing us how easy it is for you to put your recipe in there? You will see the link at the top of the page!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Wife

Captain did a wonderful job at the show alright, and he's awed at all the help that you all gave him - the Logrite crew, Randy, and great to see you too Tammy! This is a special thanks from us over here in New Zealand, for helping our guy out on the ground when he needed it the most. Thank you team.

Kerris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Tam-i-am on June 07, 2004, 08:09:47 PM
The show was great!  It was nice to meet all the Forestry Members.

First,  I already miss my pink peavey but I think I want a pink cant.

I'm glad the members enjoyed the brownies, but I think LogRite is going to stick to tools.  So here is the recipe
for the LogRite Brownie!

Brownie Mixture:
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1 cup oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all ingredients until smooth.  Then stir in
6 oz. milk chocolate chips
6 oz. semisweet chips

Cream Cheese Mixture:
16 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Beat all ingredients until smooth.

Grease bottom of 13 X 9 pan.  Pour in brownie mixture.  Pour cream cheese mixture on top.

Bake at 350 for 45 - 60 minutes.

Tam I Am
Wow good investigating Magicman!  Well that is not the post of how they came to be but Richmond is the first show I ever brought them to!  I actually brought a pan of regular brownies and the cream cheese brownies and the cream cheese brownies were way more popular so I chose those to bring to all the shows.
The recipe has since been added into the Knowledge Base in the recipe section.
Here is the original post that started it all!
GIMMIE A BREAK!!! in General Board
I'll just have you know after all these years this neighbor still does not talk to us.  On a positive note, he has stopped complaining. ;D
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Thank You Sponsors!