iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learned a New Knot Last Week

Started by lxskllr, August 03, 2019, 08:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

The bowline's been a favorite of mine for a long time, but the problem with it is it isn't secure. It can come undone if the rope lashes around, or isn't 100% loaded. This improves it, and it's easy to tie. Not substantially different than the standard bowline.

John Mc

Quote from: lxskllr on August 03, 2019, 08:29:47 AM
The bowline's been a favorite of mine for a long time, but the problem with it is it isn't secure. It can come undone if the rope lashes around, or isn't 100% loaded. This improves it, and it's easy to tie. Not substantially different than the standard bowline.

Looks like you take a regular bowline and run the end back up through?
How tough is it to untie after it's been loaded? One of the reasons I use a bowline is because it's easy to untie when I'm done.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lxskllr

I haven't tried it fully loaded yet, but it doesn't appear to jam more than the traditional bowline.

firefighter ontheside

Interesting.  The fire service gave up the bowline for any kind of life safety years ago because of the reasons mentioned.  We can still use it to hoist things.  I'll have to give this method a try.  Seems like a better way to make it safe.  Unfortunately for our use we would still have to tie a "safety" knot.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

I get firefighters reference. The fire service is limited by accepted convention and training. When something goes wrong, everything is suspect and investigated, every piece of the rigging, every knot, the training of each person on scene. In every class I took that involved ropes, I got tagged as the 'knot fairy' because I knew my ropes work. I helped all the other guys come up to speed so we could move on to the evolution's. For timber rigging work, I stay away from the bowline because when it gets really loaded, I can't get it apart. I stick with the figure 8 series of knots which most firefighters who are trained in low angle rescue or swiftwater rescue learn. These are good strong knots and serve me well and I can get them apart almost always except when I really push the load. I have one I have not been able to untie for 2 years, but it was a straight figure 8, not on a bight.
 I will give this knot a try, never too old to learn something new.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Crusarius

Figure 8 or double figure 8 has always been my goto knots. I was on the high angle rope team.

But still need to be backed up by a safety knot no matter how much we all know they will not move.

Thank You Sponsors!