iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing my 045

Started by TessiersFarm, December 31, 2009, 10:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

I have an old Stihl 045 and I am thinking about replacing it.  I run a couple of 361's for cutting firewood and felling and bucking saw logs, but a couple of years ago I bought an old 045 used for helping out with the big stuff.  I also have a small Alaskan mill that I have fallen in love with.  As it turns out I really like the bigger saw, especially when cutting fire wood of any size on the pile, and I am considering upgrading.  I have been considering in the 441 to 660 range.  441 and 460 are about the same weight but 460 has a little more power, or the same holds true for the 650 and 660.  Bottom line, is it worth carrying a couple of extra pounds for the added power, which would be real nice on the Alaskan.  I think the 045 is around 18 or 19 lbs. so I am leaning towards the 660 but I have not heard a lot about them.  I like to run an 18" bar when cutting firewood because I am not real tall and it is comfortable for me but I also have 24" and 28" Bars when I need them.  I am sure either saw will comfortably handle the bars and chains I run.  Guess I am really looking for some feedback on the 460 versus 660, good bad or indifferent.  I am really stuck on my dealer so pretty much Stihl for me. 

Thanks
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

sawguy21

You are used to weight, that 045 is a heavy beast for sure. The 460 will cut circles around the slower 045 but the 660 will be better for slabbing. Unless you are using the mill a lot, go with the smaller saw, your back will thank you for it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rocky_J

Ditto on the 460. It will be stronger and lighter than what you're used to.

TessiersFarm

My wife likes what you are saying (less money).  It is a little contrary to what I thought I would hear.  I do not mill much and when I do it is more or less a hobby, more of a way to get some specialty lumber for my woodworking then anything else.  I do feel a lighter saw would be nice.  Thanks for the advice.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

Rocky_J

The 460 is a 79cc saw and plenty of power for your needs. The 660 is 95cc and an excellent saw as well, but it's heavy enough that most people don't want to use it on a daily basis. The 460 will do over 90% of your work every bit as fast as the 660. The difference in power will rarely be noticed except for big wood where you have a 28" or longer bar buried.

BenRT

+1

That's exactly right-- I have had 046s, ms460s, 045s and 056 supers.  An MS460 will outcut that 045 of yours, and you'll appreciate the lower weight.  I would only recommend getting the MS660 if you're planning on cutting a lot of larger (>28"ish) wood, or milling quite a bit.  My "go to saw" is a 460 with a 20" bar, and I'll put a 28" or 32" on it if I have to cut anything large.   I really like the MS440 as well, but think you would be happier with the 460 in your situation.  I can also say that modifying the muffler (and re-tuning) really brings those 460s to life (they're choked up bad from the factory).

Ben

GASoline71

The 046/460 is a proven big timber fallin' saw.  You will like the power to weight ratio of it.  It can be packed around all day, and has the power to do anything you will ever ask of it.

Good saw... if you are serious, get one while they are still available.   :)

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

madhatte

460 responds well to simple mods, too... like the $30 factory DP muff cover.  I love mine.  Soon as the warranty expires, that puppy is gettin' ported. 

Thank You Sponsors!