iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DRO revisited

Started by kelLOGg, August 01, 2015, 07:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

There was a thread about digital readouts on sawmills a while back.  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,68127.0.html

Mine has become unreliable so I am wondering what others' experience over time has been. My display will change spontaneously and not by a lot so it would be immediately obvious; maybe 1/4" or so. I notice it after my 1" boards are really 1.3 or so. Yesterday I caught it I the act: I had shut off the engine between cuts and upon restarting I saw the display jump about .4" I've stopped using it. It made by iGaging. The batteries are new and deliver 3.0 VDC each.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kcwoodbutcher

I put one on my shaper and after a while it started doing the same thing. I thought it was a loose mount but it was OK. I also quit using it.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

21incher

I saw that thread and purchased a 24" one about 1 1/2 years ago. Just got around to mounting it  last week after repainting my mill and I hope it lasts longer then yours. One thing I noticed when mounting it was that the scale was not flat. It was slightly curved over the 28" length and I wound up mounting the reader to a thin flexible plastic bracket that allows the reader to follow the scale without trying to bend it straight. I am hoping it at least lasts a couple of years, but there may be a reason why it was clearance sale priced when I purchased it from Grizzly. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

kelLOGg

Quote from: 21incher on August 02, 2015, 04:40:59 PM
I saw that thread and purchased a 24" one about 1 1/2 years ago. Just got around to mounting it  last week after repainting my mill and I hope it lasts longer then yours. One thing I noticed when mounting it was that the scale was not flat. It was slightly curved over the 28" length and I wound up mounting the reader to a thin flexible plastic bracket that allows the reader to follow the scale without trying to bend it straight. I am hoping it at least lasts a couple of years, but there may be a reason why it was clearance sale priced when I purchased it from Grizzly. :)

I mounted mine so there would be some slight give at the mounting screws for reasons similar to yours. Hope yours performs longer than mine. Good luck,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!