iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makes No ¢¢¢

Started by Magicman, April 03, 2016, 03:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, I dislike dealing with pennies.  When I tally and total up a customer's sawing bill, I always drop the cents and charge the dollar amount.  I tell the customer that "I don't do cents".

The penny is long overdue to be discontinued like the 2¢ piece, 3¢ piece, and half dime.

And what about gasoline?  An exact gallon of gasoline is impossible to buy because you do not have 9/10¢.  If you pumped exactly one gallon, the operator could not give you change because he does not have a 1/10¢.  I view gasoline pricing as a false advertising gimmick.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

Absolutely right about both. I'm with you!  :D

gspren

You can buy exactly one gallon if your good with the nozzle but you will lose the fraction of a cent. In with the past weeks pocket change I got a 1930s Wheat penny and a 1970s Canadian penny, I set them to the side although I don't know why.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Autocar

Magicman it must being rainning alot at your place you have to much time on your hands  :D  :D    Alot of things don't make any sence anymore you figure it out let me know  ;D.
Bill

Ianab

10 cents is the smallest NZ coin now.

Once it started  costing more to make the coin than it was worth, and they had to keep making more of them because no one bothered spending them, they just sat in jars peoples phones.

Things are still priced a $1.99c at the supermarket. The cash register just rounds the amount up or down to the nearest 10 cents, or you can write a check or pay electronically to the exact cents. $1 and $2 are now coins and those banknotes are gone.

Or -

I also have a $5 coin from the Cooks too. So logic doesn't have to apply.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jhenderson

If we had only stayed on the gold system a penny would still have real value.

yukon cornelius

Don't go and get rid of the penny! That is all I got!  :D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sandsawmill14

Quote from: yukon cornelius on April 03, 2016, 08:37:29 PM
Don't go and get rid of the penny! That is all I got!  :D

yukon i know the feeling :D :D :D :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I wonder how long before we will not use either coins or paper and just do everything electronically. I don't think we are that far off. Sure would make it hard on the drug dealers and such who are very much a cash operation.

I did a project in Norway from 2007-2009 and we did not use checks. I had the only bank account for the project and paid all the bills electronically. If somebody wanted to reserve a ski lodge for the weekend or pay a traffic fine (Parking tickets were typically around $100+ there) they would bring me the cash and I'd pay it on line for them. I'd put their cash in the petty box and use it to reimburse the team members for their reimbursable expenses. It all worked out in the end.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Quote from: gspren on April 03, 2016, 07:24:02 PMYou can buy exactly one gallon if your good with the nozzle but you will lose the fraction of a cent.
Which was my point Gary.  Sure, you can pump it, but you can not exactly pay for it.  Who has a spare 9/10¢ piece lying around?? 

I'll get back to sawing tomorrow and I will scratch the ¢¢¢ when I total up the sawing bill. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

You mean they have gotten rid of mils? ???

When the tax man do that? :o >:( :o

It was quite easy to pay correctly for a gallon of gas way back when a gallon was a gallon.

I had to look it up on Wikipedia, but Missouri was the last state to get rid of mils in the late '40's.  Wikipedia is wrong because I was born in '48 and can clearly remember them, so they had to be around in the 50's. 

Mom would gather me and sis up to go shopping.  We rode the city bus sometimes in bad weather.  Mom paid the fare and seems like she would run a little short and use mils to pay.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DonT

Canada no longer uses the penny,but we have a $1 and $2 dollar coins.Not uncommon to find you 5-10 dollars in change in your pocket.

Magicman

I like the "Loonies" and "Toonies".  As info, the Loonie will be 30 years old next year and the Toonie is 20 years old this year.  :P

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Magicman on April 03, 2016, 10:07:45 PM
I like the "Loonies" and "Toonies".  As info, the Loonie will be 30 years old next year and the Toonie is 20 years old this year.  :P

As canuck, I like both those coins and wish theyd do the same with the 5. Losing the penny has been a good thing too and wouldn't hurt to lose the nickel.
Now at least the change in your pocket will buy something something under 5 bucks most of the time and you don't end up with a pound of change in your jeans by the end of the week nor does the wallet come out of the hip pocket as often.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

I hate it when your change due is ~ $0.98 and the cashier gives you all nickels and pennies instead of a dollar bill
Boy, back in my day..

r.man

I have been known to have almost twenty dollars in change when it is hard to get at it due to the design of my pockets. Another interesting thing about change now is how often I find dimes. The new dimes are much lighter than when I was a kid and they make very little noise when they land, even on a hard surface. That is the reverse of the toonie, when one of those hits a floor it has a distinct solid sound.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

starmac

This thread brought back a memory of a long gone great uncle telling me over 50 years ago to take care of my pennies, and the dollars will take care of themselves. it makes a lot of sense, wish I had of had the sense to have listened to him. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Brucer

I still have a dozen pristine $1.00 bills (Canadian). Just for laughs, every 5 years or so I will try to spend one. I've never been turned away yet.

Funny thing though -- usually as I leave I'll see the clerk fishing a loonie out of her purse and swapping it for the dollar bill in the till ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

starmac

The very first time I went to Canada I stopped in BC and ate supper. I paid with a 20 and had close to 5 bucks coming in change. The cashier thanked me and handed me a few coins, upon which I mentioned she needed to come up with some more money. lol THAT is when I found out about loonies and toonies. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

I like all the change, I put it in coffee cans.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scgargoyle

I just did some quick research, and a dollar in 1900 is equal to about $28 today. That means that a quarter today is worth about what a penny was back then. We could get rid of the penny, nickel, and dime.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Chuck White

The U.S. penny used to be worth more than it's face value, but that was back when they were made of copper, now they're made out of zinc.

Anyone ever notice that a pocket full of change doesn't even "jingle" any more?    :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

goose63

I never take change out of my pocket to pay part of the bill it all go's in a coffee can for a year there can be as much as $500 in it.

A friend of mine did it for 25 years the lady at the bank was not happy when we brought in 6 10 gallon cream cans full of coin's  :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

On our project in Kristiansand Norway many of the guys did that with their loose coins. A Kroner looked like a penny but was actually worth about 7 cents. They had one coin about the size of a quarter that was worth about $2 so it built up. At the end of their assignment the guys would often bring me their coins to cash out because I had the petty cash and the only bank account. I found the bank had a machine I could dump them in. It would count the money, spit out the foreign coins and give a tally of what I had deposited and put in in my bank account. From that I'd go back and settle up with the guy in paper money. One guy had close to $1,000 he had accumulated in change over the course of his assignment. Many had over $400 built up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

If/when I need a ¼" washer I'll drill a hole through a penny.  Store bought ¼" washers cost 3¢.

Thank You Sponsors!