iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Soup!

Started by Dave Shepard, November 07, 2007, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

uh, Norm?   It needs to be cooked a little bit more. :P :) :-\

solodan

Norm, the wife just saw the pic and told me that was a fine looking mir poux.  ??? I have no idea what she is talking about. ???

pineywoods

Quote from: Tom on November 11, 2007, 02:10:21 PM
uh, Norm?   It needs to be cooked a little bit more. :P :) :-\

Hey Norm, maybe you need to show Tom your apron  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Norm

Roxie

:D :D  I still like your BBQ apron the best! 
Say when

Tom

Good Apron!  :D

I still say it needs a little heat for me.  Foul fowl is foul and raw fowl is foul. :P :D

Below is a soup that Jeff prepared at the cabin and sent me the picture by phone camera.  Hopefully he will be saying what it is.

Norm

Sure looks good, I'll wait until he has a better sized keyboard to ask for the recipe.

Tom Piney's lovely wife made that for me. She's one talented lady. :)

beenthere

Jeff's pic looks like deer hunting is not so good...don't see any venison in there... ::) ::)

...maybe a partridge flew inta the deer stand window... ::) ::) ::) ??? 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I came up with this soup last night after forgetting to plan a meal.  It really came out good for a throw it in da pot type of soup. I'm going to name it Chicken Shell Soup.  ;D

I'm going to go sit in da blind for awhile. mebby I'll have a better connection later to post the recipe. I ate the rest for dinner today and it was better yet so I think it rates remembering. Good soups get better the next ay.
  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

This is what you end up with whe veything in camp is stil froze.

Chicken Shell Soup.

3 frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts.
Boil chicken breasts in 3 cups water to thaw and cook

while chicken is cooking,  take one half cup small pasta shells and cook them until eldente in a seperate pan.
drain pasta

deer is coming...

beenthere

Well...............................................we wait with baited bated breath. ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

Norm's chicken & noodles were delicious last night.  8)

Roxie, I am kinda partial to the BBQ boy outfit myself!  I am thinking Piney's wife left the back open on that apron for a reason.  :o
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

once the chicken is cooked retain the stock and chunk  up the breast meat then return it to the pot along with the stock. add the cooked pasta shells, one can of sliced potatos and one can of cream of chicken soup. Season with one teaspoon rubbed sage and quarter teaspoon black pepper. W dont cook with salt at the cabin, but I added a smidgon to mine in the bowl. 

Serves one four times. ;D

Bow Saw

Mrs. Shotgun,
I'm sensitive to MSG also. When I'm short on time to make my own bouillon stock, I use Herb Ox bouillon cubes, or instant broth & seasonings.  They have chicken, beef, vegetable, Italian herb flavors, all containers have a bright yellow sign stating:
                                                                                                      NO MSG added It's available at my local supermarket. The beef and chicken is also in sodium free boxes. Lots of variety here. I hope you can find this excellent product! If not, here's their web site:

www.hormel.com

Now you can all enjoy your favorite soup or stew!
Mrs. BowSaw

Shotgun

Mrs. Bowsaw,

Thanks for the info.  We'll look for it.  We appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Norm & Mary
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Weekend_Sawyer

Wait a minute, Jeff ended a post with ... Deer is coming...

and now nothing!!! What happened!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

beenthere

Can only guess that the deer is ..........still coming.... 8) 8)
south central Wisconsin

Weekend_Sawyer

That deer is a long time coming :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

The deer never amounted to more then some cracking brush as it past behind me.

Roxie

I tried a new soup recipe last night, and it was a winner.  Cowboy Bob has given his "Seal of Approval" to this one:

1 can (15 1/2 oz) red kidney beans
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cans (10 1/2 oz) beef broth
1 pound kielbasha (cut lenghtwise, then in 1/2" pieces)
3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
1 medium green pepper diced
1 medium onion diced
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp sugar
salt & pepper to taste

Just put it in a soup pot and bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 30 - 40 minutes.  This is also good in a crock pot cooked low for 8 hours.  I served it with tossed salad and those crusty dinner rolls found in the frozen bread section of the store (Thank You DanG). 
Say when

Raider

cracking brush makes thinnn soup :D :D  Raider

dail_h

Here's my cream of potatoe soup
   50 lbs potatoes(preferably new red)
   2lbs good thick cut bacon(your favorite brand)cut in 1/2 in pieces
   2 large leafy,(the leafiest you can find) bunches of gelery
   6lb yellow onions
   1 whole head of garlic
   2lbs BUTTER,not margarine or any of that fake crappola
   1 gal whole milk
   salt,black, and red pepper to taste

Prep
   Cut bacon into 1/2 in pieces,and start cooking. Peel and chop onions and celery,add to cooking bacon.cook until bacon is crisp or vegs are clear soft. Set aside ,reserving all drippings and juices. Peel,wash ,and cut potatoes in small  pieces. Put potatoes in pot ,and cover with water. Bring to a boil,cook until just tender. Turn heat very low,and remove about 3/4 to a gallon of water and discard. replace with the gallon of milk,and bring back to very slow simmer. Add the bacon and vegs back in,stirring well to mix. Add salt and pepper to taste,I like a good bit of pepper,add what you like. With a slotted spoon ,or something similar ,remove about a quart of the potatoes,and mash well,return to pot. Cut butter in chunks and mix in . Stir well again.
   Once the potatoes get close to done,you need a gentle fire to keep them from sticking. Sometimes,depending on the potatoes,you won't have to mash any,they'll come apart enough on their own. You want a good thick consistency. I usually try to let it cook an hour os so, but it's about ready now.Grate up some really sharp cheddar ,or your favorite cheeseto go on top,and you're all set. Feeds a lot of hungry people
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Dave Shepard

That sounds good. Just how many people do you have to feed at your house anyway? :D

I've decided I need to do some soup inventing. I don't think it would be all that hard, just start throwing compatible edibles in a pot and start simmering. Probably how soup was invented.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

I love soup, especially beef.  I like it brothy. 

Last night Gael and I went to  a little "home cooking" restaurant that I like called Country Cabin.  They serve soup as one of the 3 veggie sides with a meal.  I always get the soup.  Sometimes I'm not as happy and they are serving chicken and noodles.  It's all relative though, and all good.  Last night the had beef vegetable and noodles. (spaghetti).  It was so-o-o-o  good.  Gael isn't a soup eater, but she couldn't stand listening to me saying Mmmmmm with each spoonful and ordered a cup for herself.  I think I had everyone sitting around us wanting some soup.  Anyway, when we left, she ordered two to-go orders of soup.  I have them in the refrigerator and can hardly wait to heat them up.  ;D

dail_h

Not but just the two of us at home now,but if I mention at church thast I' gonna make a pot of soup,there's always a crowd,and durned little soup left. I like cooking for large groups,my hushpuppy rec is for a hunnert plates ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!