iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thaniking about a new stove.

Started by muddstopper, February 24, 2013, 01:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddstopper

I am thinking about buying a new wood stove before the next heating season. My current stove works pretty well, but there are a few things I dont like. For one, the door is just to small for the length of wood it will accept. One thing i would be looking for in a new heater, besides a larger door, would be some way of heating water.  Would also like to be able to attach it to the current duct work that is already installed in my basement.  I dont want a outdoor system, I just want to replace what I currently have with a more efficient types. Stove will be located in the basement where the current stove is already located. This location is about 3 ft from where my electric heat pump is installed, so it wouldnt take a lot of additional duct work to hook the heater to my current duct work.

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations as to brand name or system type to consider buying.

pigman

I have a Hot blast furnace from U S Stove Company. I have only used it for one year. I bought it this time last year and it was marked down considerably. They make three sizes and I have the middle size. It hooks directly into the ductwork of the existing furnace in the basement. Dealers sell the stoves a lot cheaper than what is listed on the manufacture's web site. I bought mine at Rural King. Tractor Supply also sells that brand. On my stove I don't think there is any way to heat water.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WH_Conley

Check your insurance first. I have a wood stove in the basement, Ashley. A neighbor that was remodeling gave me a wood furnace. I could not install it. Not enough head room. When it is tied into duct work it is a furnace, completely different specs.
Bill

muddstopper

I had a Ashley wood stove 30 years ago. Good stoves.
Would insurance be any different for a wood furnace than a wood stove?
How much head room is required. I have 8ft from floor to joists.

r.man

In Ontario Canada the rules are about plenum distance to combustible material on the vertical and the distance from the first x ft of duct as well. If there is a lack of space the rule can be bypassed by shielding the combustible.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

muddstopper

If the floor is concrete, and the flue is masonary as well. The closest wood would be the floor joist which are 47" above the top of the stove pipe. Nearest wooden wall is about 8ft. Would this be considered enough distance? I ask because I havent even started to research this yet.

WH_Conley

r.man is right on the details. I have the specs my agent sent me. Not much use of sending them to you. Might me different. Contact your agent, he should be able to email you the spec sheet. Besides, if you do anything you need it in writing from him anyhow. You don't to have do everything twice.

That was my killer. When the house they never went the full 8 feet. One more score of block and I would have been fine. The way around the duct work was to build a soffitt over the stove. That way the stove is not tied directly to the duct work, therefore it is a stove and not a furnace. In my circumstances anyhow. Again get the paperwork from your agent. He is the one you have to deal with.

Keep us posted.
Bill

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: pigman on February 24, 2013, 01:57:05 PM
I have a Hot blast furnace from U S Stove Company. I have only used it for one year. I bought it this time last year and it was marked down considerably. They make three sizes and I have the middle size. It hooks directly into the ductwork of the existing furnace in the basement. Dealers sell the stoves a lot cheaper than what is listed on the manufacture's web site. I bought mine at Rural King. Tractor Supply also sells that brand. On my stove I don't think there is any way to heat water.

Looking into getting a new wood stove/furnace in the near future. I've been looking at the Hot Blast furnaces, looks like another year has passed since you posted this, are you still happy with your furnace?

I'm currently using and about to retire a Ashley circulated type stove and I'd like to place the hot blast in my porch and duct the air into the main part of the house. 
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

bandmiller2

Muddober, I would look for a good used stove you have one to use now so theirs no rush. A few years back all the yuppies had to get high end wood stoves until they found out how much work was involved. Those stoves can be had now for pennies on the dollar and many times with those fancy stainless steel chimineys. check adds and ask around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Whoops just reread your post you want a furnace. How does your heat pump distribute the heat baseboard hydronic or hot air. If you can get under your floors radiant floor heat is very comfy and not that hard to install. Keep your heatpump system separate to augment on frigid days or when your away. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

47sawdust

muddstopper
http://www.nationalstoveworks.com/ Cobleskill N.Y.
They build high quality wood stoves with water heating capabilities.Lot of different sizes.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!