iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modern Marvels

Started by MrMoo, May 25, 2005, 10:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoo

The Modern Marvels show on the History Channel last night was on on logging and sawmilling.
It was a decent show that had film of logging in the late 1800s where guys were dropping 200' plus trees with hand saws. It also showed old sawmills with reciprocating saws and circular mills. Also showed large band saws. It also had modern equipment with computers determining what can be sawed out of a log. Guys grading lumber and lots of other stuff. Definitely worth the time to watch it.
You could almost smell the sawdust coming out of the TV.

Mike

Gilman

Mr Moo,
They left out the best part of the Boise mill they visited on the Oregon coast. 

The twin headsaws along with the edger barkers move in and out automatically and follow the bow in a tree.  Conventionally logs were fed in crown up and then broken down.  This saw puts the bow in a horizontal plane and follows it though the log.

I got to visit that mill a few years ago.  I could have stared at that head rig all day.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Bibbyman

I saw that some time back but didn't catch it all and was interupted by people that was not interested in it. (Ain't that the way it happens) I was wanting to see it again but never could catch it.

Great stuff.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!