iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too Old To Be A Forester?

Started by New Old Guy, October 02, 2018, 10:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Old Guy

So, I want to become a forester. I'm 42 years-old and, if things go as planned I will become an RPF at age 48. I'll have a BS Forestry from a California university but am willing to go where the work is. I'm less interested with the logging/industrial aspect and more oriented towards the overall management/conservation side of the house ... but I don't want to be a biologist or ecologist.

Is 48 years-old too old to make a new career out of forestry? My only real expectation is that I am able to find forestry work until my mid to late 60's. I would prefer to focus on ecosystem forest management instead of operations/logging and be paid a comfortable wage that is appropriate for the area I am working/living in (for reference, $70k in Southern California would be a comfortable income to me).

I was reading a couple of other topics about transitioning into the forestry career field and the responses made mention that young foresters are needed ... and the young part started making me nervous about my choice.

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  I think the "young blood" that was mentioned is simply a generalization due to the reality that most folks starting off in a career field are young, simple as that.  As long as you can physically perform the required work to the standard expected of the position then I would say no, you are not too old, and would not be too old, to enter into the field. 

Age brings with it wisdom through life experience, even if it's not directly related to the forestry field you do have experiences which will make you a better forester.  Couple that with a professional education and that has the making of a quality employee.  

Honestly, all else being equal, I would hire a gung ho, capable, 48 year old any day over a 21 year old  these days.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

At 78 I don't know what an old forester is, I do know what a slow, painful and grouchy forester is. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

clearcut

First, best of luck with whatever path you choose to follow. 

RPF implies Registered Professional Forester and that suggests California. RPF also implies writing Timber Harvest Plans (THP). In practice, that is what the vast majority of active RPFs do, or some part of that process. Most of the other practicing RPFs work for CALFire, checking THPs.

As of 10/3/2018 there are 124 active THPs covering 51,414 acres. THPs last 3 years with possible extensions.

Source: CalFire

Industry makes up 80 of these plans for a total of 45,219 acres.
Non-industrial Private Forest landowners are good for 41 of these THPs for 5,6505 acres
Government (State/Municipal) account for 3 plans and 545 acres.

Federal agencies do not file THPs.

Owner# plansAcres
Industry8045,219
NIPF415,650
Government3545

Where do you think the RPF jobs are? You mentioned that you were "less interested with the logging/industrial aspect and more oriented towards the overall management/conservation side". Logging is the typical means to pay the bills that allow for conservation activities. 

I am also confused by needing 6 years to obtain your RPF. If you have a BS in Forestry from UC Berkeley, Humbolt State, or CalPoly, then you would only need 3 additional years of experience working under the supervision of an RPF to apply. If not, you will need 7 years of experience.

Currently there appears to be demand for RPFs. I am seeing more employment ads and getting more "do you know anyone ..." type of questions. If you have relatable skills in you current job, then your transition could be easier. 

CALFire has also recently opened the Forester 1 and 2 exams. You may want to consider getting your name on those lists.  It's a way to get your RPF experience for licensing. 

Again, best of luck in your future endeavors.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

timberking

You would be the young buck in our office

New Old Guy

clearcut

Good information that I didn't know. I want to read up on some of the things you mentioned. I appreciate the detailed response.

I'm starting my second year of being back in college so that's the reason for the six years until RPF comment. I should have been more clear about the industry v. conservation tract. I understand removal of trees (logging?) is a key aspect of forestry. For example, I would group CalFIRE as more conservation than logging industry in my job search. Same goes for the job listing I found for a Watershed Forester with SF Public Utility. I picked up those distinctions (operations, restoration, wildfire, etc.) from the different concentrations offered within some university degree programs. So, perhaps it's just an academic distinction.

Southside logger, Texas Ranger, timberking

Thanks for the replies!

thecfarm

New Old Guy,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

I started my consulting career at the age of 44 going to hit 70-11 Monday.
Still a forester.
Just like the Marine corps, there are no ex foresters.
But I dont practice anymore.
My goal was to retire at 70, but at 69 had my left hip replacement "revised" and decided to hang it up.
This was after while marking timber for a very good client and I realized that it had become only a job.
Surprised Ron Scott hasn't chimed in I think he is 84
A forestry school classmate is 70-10 and still practices in northern California.
Another friend stopped at 90
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

New Old Guy

I've never met an ex-Marine but I know a bunch of former Marines. Thank you for your service!

So, I'm not concerned anymore with the late start with my new future forestry career. Everyone's posts have been helpful.

Thanks, all!

Wudman

I went to forestry school (30 years ago) with a fellow 20 years my senior.  He was 40 when he went back to school.  He had served some time in the military.  He worked as a sawyer on a grade hardwood logging job for a number of years and worked in a technician role with the US Forest Service for a while.  He and I graduated at the same time.  To my knowledge, he is still working.  I haven't talked to him in a number of years.  I'm 51 at the moment and haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up.  My brain still tells me that I am 25.  My hips tell me otherwise.......I dropped some weight and can get up and down the hills better than a few years ago......but the mosquitos after this east coast rain are starting to get to me.  I guess that the good news is cold weather is coming before long.  You will be fine.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Ron Scott

You're never too old to be a forester as long as the mind and body are still functioning. I spent 38 years with the US Forest Service. Retired in 1995 and started my own consulting forestry business and still working at it though much slower due to the body slowing down.

I will be 83 on November 24th. I pick and choose the jobs that I want to do now and don't take on any long term jobs. I refer them to the younger consultants who can stay long term with a client.

I just returned from the USFS National Retirees Convention at the Cradle of Forestry in Ashville, NC where I had the honor of meeting with the Secretary of Agriculture during his brief visit there.

I'm also a Korean War Veteran and have a soft spot for Marines after spending most all my time as a combat medic with the Fleet Marine Force's 3rd Marine division. Received some good pre-forestry training there.  :D
~Ron

Texas Ranger

We will be at the Biltmore at the end of this month.  Looking forward to seeing the place.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

Quite the place! I'm sure that it will be busy with the fall colors etc. We'd like to go back and spend more time just there. Chase Pickering, the great-great grandson of George Vanderbilt was one of our speakers. He's a 5th generation owner of the Biltmore.
~Ron

RPF2509

Since you are in CA I would suggest you start looking at the California Licensed Foresters Association website (CLFA.org) check out the job board and everything else.  RPFs do not just write timber harvest plans - the license is required for other forestry jobs as well.  You are smart to try for it as the pay grade jumps substantially with it.  Look at the bump between Calfire's Forestry Assistant (no license needed) and Forester I (RPF license required).  Remember the RPF license is not required for federal work - only private or state land.  Government work is full of process and procedure - if you want to accomplish something, stay with the private sector.  Starting out you will do tech work, ie brush monkey - hang flag, sling paint, collect data.  Are you in good physical shape? If so no forestry work should be difficult.  When I was in my 40's I was probably in some of the best shape of my career, plus I had the experience to not to get hurt.  Now after 25 years an RPF I am slowing down a bit and old injuries (not forestry related) are complaining more but I still love going to work every day.  Start now looking for summer work,  You may be able to find a local RPF who needs weekend/ days off help.  It's never too early to start getting your feet wet.  Did any of your former jobs give you some helpful background - use it to get your next forestry job.

RPF2509

Also through the CLFA website you can see if there is a RPF breakfast meeting in your area.  They are held throughout the state where foresters get together once a month for breakfast and talk about forestry - usually new regulations coming down the pike or THP snafus.  Usually held early - ours meets at 6am but you will meet your local foresters (anyone can go - ours is regularly attended by a several county supervisors), find out about the issues, get job info, find if its really for you.

Thank You Sponsors!