iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pto driven circular saw

Started by Justin@Wv, October 05, 2012, 08:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin@Wv

I just bought a M-14 circular saw its not been used for about a year, but I saw it run before I purchased it. Everything is in okay working condition it just needs a good greasing and needs to get back in some logs! It's my first mill so I'm pretty excited about getting set up and running! I've got about a 70hp tractor and there's no doubt in my mind it will run the 42in. blade but my only question is how hard is that gonna be on my pto and in the tractor in the long run? Should I plan to get a different way to turn the blade?
"With these hands"

lyle niemi

Quote from: Justin@Wv on October 05, 2012, 08:59:07 AM
I just bought a M-14 circular saw its not been used for about a year, but I saw it run before I purchased it. Everything is in okay working condition it just needs a good greasing and needs to get back in some logs! It's my first mill so I'm pretty excited about getting set up and running! I've got about a 70hp tractor and there's no doubt in my mind it will run the 42in. blade but my only question is how hard is that gonna be on my pto and in the tractor in the long run? Should I plan to get a different way to turn the blade?
you wont have a problem, PTOs are made for that

paul case

Welcome to the forum Justin.

I dont know how hard it would be on your tractor, I guess it depends on how hard you push it. The deffinite trick to making it cut good is to not lose speed on the blade, but with 70 hp that shouldnt be a problem. The M-14 I had ran on the pto and had shear pins on the driveline so the tractor was protected, as was the saw.

Does your saw have tthe metal base or is it wood?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

lyle niemi

Quote from: Justin@Wv on October 05, 2012, 08:59:07 AM
Forgot to mention that the PTO should be 540 and not a 1000

thurlow

Know less than nuthin about the late model 'yuppie' tractors (not knocking 'em, I just don't know);  if you've got a FARM tractor, just hook it up and let 'er go;  running a mill is not gonna be hard on the tractor, the pto, etc.  They're designed to be used...........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Justin@Wv

It's all metal or steel! Something else I've been thinking about is modifying the carriage bc it's only set up for ten feet. It's got two dogs on it, would that be enough to hold and cut a fourteen foot log without having any variance on board width? If not a problem then I can just modify my track!
"With these hands"

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Justin Its great to have another Circular Sawmill on here  ;) ;D ;D 8)

I have always liked the look of the Timberking sawmills pitty they dont make em anymore  ;) ;) You have more than enough to pull the 42" or even a 48" or 50" saw for that matter I have been running those size saws for years with 70/80hp tractors thats why I have alays loved the Insert saws they use your Horse Power at the Optimum and your clutch will be fine  ;) if your worried you can put a pto clutch on the end of your saw shaft and it will slip well before your tractors clutches ever will Sawmill work is one of the lighter occupations for a tractos pto train to have  ;)

With having two of them you could just bolt em togheter and mod your track sections together to give yourself an M-20 or 24 Mate ;) :D smiley_devil_trident ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thurlow

I've had a M-14 w/46 inch blade for a long time;  the manual says it will cut a 24 inch by 14 ft log, which is EXACTLY right.  I've cut some 30 inch-plus stuff and always say afterwards, "Never again".  You've got to 'gun barrel' the log, finish the cut with a chainsaw or ax, etc.  Of course, with the 'right' log, it's worth it.  I've sawn some 17 ft stuff.......usually beams.  (have to stop the blade before turning the log, because the end will only be a couple of inches from the blade)  You'll get some variance in thickness when trying to saw anything longer than 14 ft.  Only problem that immediately comes to mind when increasing the length of the carriage is that you may be tempted to overload the whole system by putting a heavier log on there than the thing is designed to handle.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Meadows Miller

You are rite there they are built for sawing light  or short stuff and it comes down to shaft sizes which was kept to the bare min as these where the econmy sawmill of their time and they have sawn alot of lumber Belsaw did do a M-20 & an M-24 though which was just the two m-10 0r M-14 carriges bolted together   :) :) :)

Lambee10

Welcome and thanks for giving life to another M-14.

I run mine on a 35 HP tractor and is fine for the stuff I do.  Best advice I got from this forum is to put new teeth on the blade and learn what sharp is. 

Like everything- I am working on a larger power plant but for now I use what I got.

All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

loggah

I have the exact same mill,M 14 with a steel frame made new in 1992. Its a great little mill and i run mine with an old Case SC tractor, it only has about 31 H.P. at the P.T.O. it will cut pine fine but its underpowered for hardwood, and i do have to use the husky top saw on bigger logs.  ;D I am in the process of looking for a Diesel tractor with over 50 H.P., but im looking for one with a belt pulley and P.T.O. so i can use the pulley on my shingle mill.  One thing to watch out for is if you saw bigger logs that you have to finish cutting the slab off with a chain saw,you will have to shorten the board splitter,they are too tall and will bind in the slab !!!!!!! i shortened mine to just under the gullet height at the top of the saw,that stopped any problems. I also have another M 14 set up as a self contained portable mill with a built in Belsaw edger, i just got it a few weeks ago and been tinkering it up. Happy sawing !! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

francismilker

I'm not that knowledgeable on blade mills, but I've got an hour or two under my belt with a tractor.  The tractor, no matter what horse it is, should be protected by a sheer pen like was mentioned above.  Provided there's a sheer pin you should do just fine.  Just keep an ear out and listen to the motor.  If it's laboring and changes pitch, you're pushing a little too fast.  You'll learn quick what cuts well and what don't. 

If my 70hp tractor can roll up a round bale, your's can cut logs!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Magicman

I know nothing about your saw but, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Justin@Wv   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

I wouldn't be a bit concerned about the tractor, but would like to see some pictures of the mill  ;).

Justin@Wv

Another attempt to put pics on here! Cant do it from my phone so attempting the computer now! These pics are before I moved the mill home!

"With these hands"

Meadows Miller

Gday Justin

Purrdy she looks the goods and should not take much to have in action Mate  ;) ;D ;D smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Keep us posted Mate  ;)

Regards Chris

captain_crunch

Mine has belt drive which takes shock off pto rototiller is lots harder on tractor than mill
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Charles135

Justin,
Welcome, I have a M-14 and ran it for a very short while on the PTO of a '48 Massey Harris 44 which dynoed about 45 hp at the PTO.  It pulled it fine unless your in bigger hardwood.  I am in the process of converting mine to a 90 horse diesel power unit on a belt pulley.  A friend has a similiar tractor set up on his M-14, which he has ran for years and has never had any issues with the tractor clutch or PTO Shaft.
Good luck
Charlie
Charlie
Foley Belsaw M-14, JD MT, Massey Harris 44, F-30 Farmall, A JD, 3203 JD, 5300 JD, JD 4039 Power Unit
Serving the Thin Blue Line Since 1998

bandmiller2

Justin,thats a pretty level piece of ground for WV,when I was down around Bluefield it was ether up or down.No problems with your tractor except needing it for something else.Use it but keep your eyes open for a dedicated power unit preferabley a diesel. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!