iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White wood Q???

Started by qbilder, October 11, 2012, 10:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbilder

Are there any other white woods that would make a good substitute for holly? I'd like to find something harder & more stable than holly, but similar in color (or lack there of). I know that maples, hack berry, hornbeam, etc. are pretty white but I only have experience with maple. Something much harder & stronger than holly but still very white is what i'd like to fine. Thanks much
God bless our troops

SwampDonkey

Maybe a serviceberry species?  They are a white wood.  Very heavy and hard. Trouble might be in sourcing large enough ones.

http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_amar3.pdf

Also Beech, it is heavier and harder than sugar maple.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

Yes, serviceberry is white but not as much as holly.

I've never come across any big enough to mill on the sawmill.  I slice it up on the shop bandsaw.

We call it sarvis round here.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Dogwood is pretty white if you stay away from th heartwood. Also smaller, but hard as nails.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

wesdor

We have a lot of hackberry here in the Midwest.  A couple of woodworking friends are always looking for Hackbery because it is so white.

Is it white enough for your purpose?  More important do you have any on your part of the country

tyb525

Cherry, walnut sapwood maybe? Tulip poplar sapwood is pretty white also, but might be too soft? Honey locust and hickory sapwood is also white, but probably too coarse grained?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

taw6243

4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

qbilder

Thank you all for the ideas. Dogwood completely slipped my mind. Very hard wood with a satin smooth texture. I'll try some hackberry, too.
God bless our troops

Ron Wenrich

A lot of the hackberry I have sawn seems to have a grey tint to it.  They're fresh logs, so it isn't sap stain.  Might be regional.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hackberry jake

You said you wanted something harder and more stable than holly. I never have worked with holly, but hackberry isn't very stable.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Not at all, and if you turn your back on it, it will gray stain.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Migal

Just curios why not white oak?
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

SwampDonkey

He might be looking for closed grained wood, not sure.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hackberry jake

White oak isn't white, it's dark brown.

beenthere

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 13, 2012, 04:51:51 AM
White oak isn't white, it's dark brown.

Hmmmm?? 

Walnut heart is dark brown as I see it.
But agree the wood is not white. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

qbilder

Looking for a wood that is very white in color, hard, smooth texture with closed grain. Basically something similar to holly but harder. Sorry for the confusion.
God bless our troops

clww

What about Poplar and Aspen?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Not hard, as I think is desired.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Holly has some unique characteristics that make it hard to substitute for.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

There is probably a lot more experience and data on something like holly than there is on other large shrubs. Lack of experience or published data on a shrub (wood) of interest should not deter the determined. There is probably a lot of folklore rather than fact to weed though. ;D

qbilder

Quote from: WDH on October 14, 2012, 09:40:13 PM
Holly has some unique characteristics that make it hard to substitute for.

For certain. And nothing wrong with holly, just wanted to know if anybody knew of something harder that was also clean, smooth textured white. Yall have given some good ideas and I have a few of my own. I have some experimenting to do :)
God bless our troops

rbraeking

I don't know if it grows in your area but Magnolia is white and close grained similar to Holly.

Weekend_Sawyer

Well I'm curious, what are you building, how much wood do you need?
At this years pig roast Cedarman brought a 1x3 pice of ERC sapwood that was white, hard and straight. I thought it was hard maple. Course Jeff had us guessing what it was.

Jon

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mikeb1079

thought of this thread today.  another idea for you q....i've milled some immature (smallish diameter perhaps 12"?) soft maple that was very white, though it did have red speckles in it.  around here it grows by rivers and lowlands and tends to have multiple trunks.  i'm thinking if you could find a youngish one it may fit the bill?  just a thought....

the older silver maple i milled was more of a tan/pinkish color so i'm not sure when/if they transition in color? i still have a stick of the younger white stuff i'll try to plane a piece and post a pic.
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

5quarter

Qbuilder is a builder of pool cues.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!