iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loving these lumber prices

Started by Lawg Dawg, December 18, 2017, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Lowe's,  Hartsville, SC this morning after i ate my grits
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

YellowHammer

I had guy call me two weeks ago and ask if I matched big box store prices on Hardwood. I said I would be glad to raise my price to match theirs if he wanted me to. ;D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 18, 2017, 09:34:48 AM
I had guy call me two weeks ago and ask if I matched big box store prices on Hardwood. I said I would be glad to raise my price to match theirs if he wanted me to. ;D
Good answer YH. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

petefrom bearswamp

#2 top choice?
What the bleep grade is that?
Then says common further down the sticker.
and I wonder what species is that white wood.
Also notice that they now post actual dimensions for the board.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Georgia088

I've always wondered what species "white wood" was?

47sawdust

Georgia88,
The local lumber yards sell clapboards that are Canadian ''whitewood'',I get a chuckle out of that myself.Why be specific when you can make such a broad description?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Resonator

The term "whitewood" has been commonly used in the industry for decades. Its a generic term for utility wood used in cabinet making or other projects, not suitable for structural framing lumber. Just remember that price reflects all of the supplier cost, overhead, trucking, (plus profit margin), etc., that got that board there to sell. Every set of hands that handled it added to that cost.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Wudman

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 18, 2017, 10:57:34 AM
#2 top choice?
Then says common further down the sticker.
and I wonder what species is that white wood.
Also notice that they now post actual dimensions for the board.

"Top Choice" is a Lowe's trade name.  It is their personal branding on product.  "Whitewood" is a generic marketing term covering the appearance grade of a number of species.  Most of what I see in Lowe's is either spruce or fir.  I went in there to get some trim boards to trim out a door on a utility shed.  After seeing the prices, I came home and scrounged through my stash to see what I had on hand.  My doors will be trimmed in 4/4 x 4 cypress. 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 18, 2017, 09:34:48 AM

:D that's the funniest thing I've heard all day
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Sixacresand

If the wife wanted  one for a shelf, "yesterday", I would not have a problem paying that for one.  :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WLC

If a 1X12 Shelving board is that high in SC I'd be scared to look up here. 

They started putting actual dimensions cause they, or someone, got sued for selling lumber that was not what was advertised. Stupid people in this world. 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

GAB

Quote from: Georgia088 on December 18, 2017, 11:49:13 AM

I believe white wood in french is bois blanc and that translate to basswood.
Marcel please correct me if I'm wrong.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

So this is Lowe's?  I am going to The Big City on Thursday. I will have to look for this whitewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

longtime lurker

Ive seen white wood on the shelf here. I understood it to be a  trade name for a group of species of similar characteristics similar to "SPF" or "Victorian Ash".
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

nativewolf

Quote from: GAB on December 18, 2017, 09:17:48 PM
Quote from: Georgia088 on December 18, 2017, 11:49:13 AM

I believe white wood in french is bois blanc and that translate to basswood.
Marcel please correct me if I'm wrong.
Gerald

Nah, generic term for soft spruce/fir/pine that is used for molding, interior trim, etc.  Old term now.  Helped lumber shops, now big box, sell northern state softwood without having to keep track of what is what.  Not framing lumber.  So, by combining  White Pine Spruce Fir they just covered a lot of species basis and they can market it.  Mean Whole Plain Face (WPF).  Bland boring wood good for paint or stain
Liking Walnut

brianJ

Seems to me not just SPF but also basswood, popular,  and other low value generic logs that take stain and paint easily.      It is a good marketing strategy for corporations to get a high return from low value logs.

Southside

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 18, 2017, 10:57:34 AM
#2 top choice?

I think they used a part time lumber grader who also works as a USDA beef grader and the poor guy forgot who he was grading for at the time.   :D  Maybe it's grass finished lumber?  Boy that "White Wood" sure has some fine marbling in the ribeye!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

Quote from: WLC on December 18, 2017, 08:03:25 PM
If a 1X12 Shelving board is that high in SC I'd be scared to look up here. 

They started putting actual dimensions cause they, or someone, got sued for selling lumber that was not what was advertised. Stupid people in this world.

That's the way the media framed it. If I recall the real problem was that they were selling 2x4s that were smaller than 1 1/2 x 3 1/2". Inspectors began noticing the lumber looked smaller than normal and raised the red flag.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

moodnacreek

Always thought white wood was tulip and or aspen etc. but not conifer. Those box stores should charge even more because they have it all ; bathrooms, credit card machines, long hours, returns, indoor shopping and so on. This is what the consumer demands.  They believe because of a few sale items everything in the store is cheaper. 

Quebecnewf

Lumber prices high here in Canada as well . I saw at the big box store

2x6x10 SPF.  $ 8.80 a piece

Quebecnewf

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Quebecnewf on January 09, 2018, 07:12:24 PM
Lumber prices high here in Canada as well . I saw at the big box store

2x6x10 SPF.  $ 8.80 a piece

Quebecnewf

.88 per board foot for framing lumber,  ain't too shabby!  I feel like things are coming around for the little guy!   :)

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Quebecnewf

Yes not to shabby

I not sure if it's just me but looking at some of the 2x material in the big box stores I am thinking the quality is going down all the time.

I looked at 2x4 and 2x6 and most of what I saw was not good . It seems that these big planers that they run now are just tearing the lumber to the correct size.

Most of what I looked at would be much better if they sharpened the planer . A dull tool never produces good lumber .

Small trees , dull saws, duller planers . It may be the right size but it sure looks bad .

Not to blow my own horn but if I packed a bundle of my 2x material up alongside I bet mine would be all sold before anyone took one piece of the other.

Quebecnewf

Crusarius

I keep wondering if they are putting larger radiuses on the edges so they can make more particle board? Last time I bought framing 2x's the had at least 3/8" radius on all 4 edges.

Thank You Sponsors!