iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using hydraulic motor for Log stops

Started by Rickcnc, October 12, 2017, 06:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickcnc

I am considering using a hydraulic motor to raise and lower log stops as will an additional motor to move a log clamp. I'll use a cylinder to raise and lower the clamp.. My thinking is the motor will give me more travel for the clamp.
Has anyone else build their own stops and clamps this way ? I noticed the timberking 2000 appears to be set up like this.
Looking for your feedback on the idea and some input on what size of motors I would need.

redprospector

I tried a hydraulic motor for the dog on the mill I built. It would back off on big logs. A motor's not made to hold like a cylinder is. My 2 cents.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Satamax

Rick.

For the log stops, i think a cylinder would work ok. You can have plenty of travel. If it's for log dogs/clamps I used old vertical sawmill parts, and modified these into horizontal ones, using three phase worm gear electrical motors.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,85066.80.html

If you are not mobile. Use electricity, it's far less hassle.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ladylake

Yes TK uses a hyd motor to raise and lower the vertical stops and it works just fine, doesn't need much holding power for the log stops. Almost any motor should have enough power, I'd get a slower rpm one as you don't want the going up or down really fast.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Hydraulic motors are expensive seems like a waste when a simple small cylinder could do the same job. My bandmill has two stops tied together that swing up from a handle in the front of the mill. Its simple and they are 12" high but they can be lowered for smaller logs. Save the motor for a chain turner or cable feed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

If using swing up stops which I don't like a hyd cylinder would work well and be easy.  With vertical stops a hyd motor would be a lot simpler and they can be bought for around $100 or less, not that much more than a cylinder.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dean herring

Anyone know if Timberking has "factory made" vertical hydraulic log stops and log clamp for a TK 1600? They would surely be a time saver
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Chaser357

My TK 1600 has a hydraulic log clamp.  The back and forth is hydraulic but the up and down is manual.  I wish they did make a retrofit hydraulic log stop kit for the 1600.   The manual log stops swing forward and are impossible to keep adjusted.   I'm thinking about getting mine straight and welding them.

JB Griffin

Also it would only take one hyd. motor to run all the backstops, whereas you would need a cyl. for each stop or a complicated linkage system.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

dean herring

Same problem here, the log stops are definitely a weak link.

dean herring

Was looking at the TK 2000 on the website. It has vertical stops. Would it be possible to put them on a 1600?

DPatton

I'm certain that if you call TK they will have an answer to your question. They are a great company with really good people that know their equipment inside and out. If it's doable they will know and will have likely done it before. You should give them a call at their number on the left side of this page.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

dean herring

Will do
Just as soon as we get over Christmas and our son getting married this too

bozzaa69

I got 1, High torgue, low rpm hyd. motor that runs a driveshaft, that makes my 4 log stops go up and down. Home made, no problems in years. Can get the motors for $99 if you shop right. Pics in my gallery.

bozzaa69

I got 6 of the same hyd. motors on my home made made mill. 1 each for 2 log dogs clamp/unclamp. 1 for 4 log stops up/down. 1 for head carriage feed. 1 for saw head up/down. 1 cylinder each for 2 log dogs up/down. 1 motor, and 1 cylinder for chain Log turner.

Thank You Sponsors!