iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 056 scored cylinder

Started by JohnnyTom, June 10, 2008, 12:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyTom

Stihl dealer told me the cylinder wall on my 056 is scored and as it is obsolete can't get parts.....true, or can it be fixed and by who? Thanks.....owned it from the git go and believe $%^&* brother-in-law run straight gas in her.....

Al_Smith

It all depends on how badly the cylinder and piston are scored as to if it can be saved or not .

A majority of people and dealers especially attempt to get them perfect .This is commendable and admirable .However in the real world you can get by with a sloppy fit actually for years with no ill affects .

Usually the "tramp " aluminum can be removed from the cylinder by useing a scotch-brit pad or by light honing.Clean the piston ,maybe a little work with some fine sandpaper.Put a new set of rings in it and go cut wood .

It won't be perfect but you might be surprised how well it does unless it is totally fried. I've saved a bunch of them that people thought were toast and I'm certain others have too .

JohnnyTom

Thanks, Al....I will try to find a mechanic that isn't just interested in a quick replacement sale and see what can be done...sure appreciate the advice!

JT

JohnnyTom

I am still looking for a cylinder and piston assy for my 056 AV EQ saw.....Stihl cyl/piston assy p/n 1115 020 1205.... which is obsolete but in case anyone has one and I learned that Ron's Saw Shop in SD is THE place to go for the hard-to-find at 1-800-433-6304 if it helps anyone else.  Recommended by Stihl and others. He doesn't have one but is looking......Thanks Again!

Woodchuck53

JT, give this fellow a call. I looked hi-and low for some 1/2" for my 090G. Found out about him and called he had enough on the shelf to make 2 chains. 22 miles from the house. Anyway call him and check. 318-445-9853 Boyce, La. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Southernlogger007

You might want to try searching ebay.There was a guy on there saturday trying to sell 056 AV.If you can't find one on ebay you might want to give Bailey's a try at 1-800-322-4539..

Mad Professor

Sometimes what appears to be scoring is only aluminum transfered from the piston.  It can be dissolved with muriatic acid ( 6 M hydrochloric acid).  Do this carefully and only apply it to the nikasil lining and avoid the edges of the ports ( long q-tip works good).  If you do get any on the aluminum immediately rinse with water.  After you get the aluminum off look for damage to the nikasil lining, particularly above the exhaust port (where compresion is effected) and near any port edges (where a piston might hang up).  As a general rule if you can catch a fingernail in any groove the cyl  may be toast. 

If the cyl cleans up look for a new/used OEM piston on ebay.  You stihl might be able to get rings from a dealer?

Note that if any scores are THROUGH the lining the acid will eat away the aluminum beneath it doing further damage, but in this case the cyl is toast anyway.

Al_Smith

I don't think a person would have problems finding rings for that model .Surprisingly Stihl did have a few things that would interchange .Although it is completely out of the norm  for them to do so .

Any good dealer should be able to help you out .If not ,no doubt there most likely are some aftermarket stuff that would work .

taxidermist

It still shows the part number in the break down? piston and cylinder kit is 1111-029-1200 this is listed under 050 and 051

JohnnyTom

Well the saga continues....I got a clean cylinder supposed to be for the regular 056 and when my dealer put it on along with the new 52mm piston it wouldn't reach top dead center...I suppose my used replacement cylinder was actually another 056 model other than the standard AVEQ I have so it's back to the drawing board to find the right c ylinder in good condition.  The original cylinder is in fact toast so no chance for salvage.

Al_Smith

Just about anything is repairable if you want to go to extremes .A cylinder can be replated but it costs a kings ransome .

I once bored a Mac 125 and made a cast iron sleeve  for it . It works fine but I literaly had days of work involved in the project .

joe_indi

JohnnyTom,
The piston diameter in a 056 is listed as 54mm.And the 056 M piston is 56mm.
So where did the 52mm piston come from?

Quote from: taxidermist on June 30, 2008, 11:50:28 AM
It still shows the part number in the break down? piston and cylinder kit is 1111-029-1200 this is listed under 050 and 051

056 and 045 share the same cylinder and piston(54mm) the part number is 1115 020 1205 (cylinder w/piston).
Piston 54mm part number 1115 030 2002
056M has 56mm dia. Part number is 1115 020 1202 (cylinder w/piston)
Piston 56mm part number 1115 030 2003

All these are shown as still available on the latest Stihl part list.
If a small time retailer  like me in a 3rd world country can get it I cannot understand why a Stihl dealer in your country says its not available!

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 28, 2008, 05:53:38 AM
Just about anything is repairable if you want to go to extremes .A cylinder can be replated but it costs a kings ransome .

I once bored a Mac 125 and made a cast iron sleeve  for it . It works fine but I literaly had days of work involved in the project .

Al,
I too tried this on a 046.The first step was a cast iron sleeve.It worked fine.The local machinist says the next step is to hard chrome the sleeve before installing it in the cylinder.He is going to do that for me in a couple of days.
The cost of doing the plain CI sleeve job was approx.$20.
The chrome job might cost about $ 10.
A new cylinder (with piston) costs $300 over here.
So the extra effort is worth it at times.

Joe

Al_Smith

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 28, 2008, 05:53:38 AM

Al,
I too tried this on a 046.The first step was a cast iron sleeve.It worked fine.The local machinist says the next step is to hard chrome the sleeve before installing it in the cylinder.He is going to do that for me in a couple of days.
The cost of doing the plain CI sleeve job was approx.$20.
The chrome job might cost about $ 10.
A new cylinder (with piston) costs $300 over here.
So the extra effort is worth it at times.

Joe
[/quote] Nobody works that cheap around here . There is no need to plate a cast iron cylinder that I can think of .They ran them for years with no plating what so ever  and they did just fine .

joe_indi

Al,

I would prefer to use just the cast iron without the chrome.
But what about the friction created by rings and the sleeve at high rpm? Isn't the heat generation more?
As a result  there could be a power loss and faster wear on the sleeve.
Or is this because the same clearances as those on the chromed cylinder were being used.
This was the only set back I faced in my trial.
Do I need to increase the clearance between the piston and CI sleeve to compensate for this?
Or is it because of the 13500 - 14000 rpm of the 046.

Joe

Al_Smith

I don't know about more friction on iron than there would be on chrome .

L A sleeve has made iron sleeves for decades and they are still in business .

When I did the Mac I left a tad over 4 thou clearance on the 2 .390  bore .Iron would not expand as much as aluminum . Besides that by it's very nature iron has the ability to "grap " oil droplets . Just about every aluminum block auto engine made today uses cast in place iron liners .There must be something to it because they all do it .

This is not saying that chrome or hard nickel is not a good lining either .They work well . The iron is just an alternate method in some cases to save an otherwise hard to repair engine . I might also add that very few people will go to the extremes that I have done to repair things either .

JohnnyTom

Guys....sorry I ain't been able to get to the forum...lotsa good ideas here....the saw is about a 1978 056 av eq model and the book that come with it lists the 52mm bore, which my repair guy confirmed when he slid the 52mm aftermarket new piston in it.  But cylinder is evidently too tall and he indicated the spark plug location on the new/used cylinder was not same as the original from the saw. Ignition on my saw is good he confirmed and he has a 056 Magnum II with a known good cylinder and piston (he replaced them way back when) but the ignition is shot.  Thinking about a wedding here but don't know if my good ignition will fit the other and bottom line it wouldn't be "the" saw I have had for so long....guess I'll keep looking or try to put the bite on a machine shop to go the liner route!

dancan

If I had to go the sleeve route , I'd box it up and send it to joe-indi with a 20.00$$ tip because I think the machine shops in my neck of the woods would say " You want What ? "

Thank You Sponsors!